Windows 10: Error 0x81000031, Windows Backup failed while determining libraries...

Discus and support Error 0x81000031, Windows Backup failed while determining libraries... in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; This is John F Wood. We have the Windows 10 Home Operating System, 64-Bit Edition, Version 1607, OS Build 14393.693. I really prefer using the Backup... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by jfwood92, Jan 14, 2017.

1. jfwood92 Win User

Error 0x81000031, Windows Backup failed while determining libraries...

This is John F Wood. We have the Windows 10 Home Operating System, 64-Bit Edition, Version 1607, OS Build 14393.693. I really prefer using the Backup and Restore (Windows7 option) from the Windows 10 backup page. I really like having “Restore Points”created to draw from when needed. I do not want to use the Windows 10 Backup. I finally relented and Installed Windows10, when Microsoft kept e-mailing me to upgrade to Windows 10. After that, I kept using the Backup and Restore (Windows 7 option) from the Windows 10 backup page. But, after what may have been a couple of Cumulative Updates two or three months ago, that option no longer works. I want it resolved! I have even tried resetting our PC and reinstalling Windows 10, but I still get the backup error. How can I fix this problem and successfully run the Backup and Restore (Windows 7 option)? Here is the information:

Error Code:0x81000031
    Backup Location: Seagate Backup Plus Drive (LError 0x81000031, Windows Backup failed while determining libraries... :)
    Message: Windows Backup failed while determining libraries location of one of the usersincluded in backup.
    Details: The device is not ready.

:)

jfwood92, Jan 14, 2017
  2. WHTHOM Win User

Windows backup failed - Error code 0x81000031 in Windows 10

Bit-blocker is ON.

Shadow Copy is RUNNING.

Not sure what constitutes a "Custom Library". I have some important software on one 500gb external drive. (Quicken)

I have tried backup with Antivirus OFF.

Have formatted the backup destination drive (external 2tb) twice.

Still get:

"Windows backup failed while determining libraries location of one of the users included in the backup.

Details: The device is not ready. Error code 0x81000031"

Whew!

WHTHOM, Jan 14, 2017
  3. TedArnett Win User
    Unable to run backup in Windows 10 error code 0x81000031

I have been trying to run Windows 10 Backup and kept getting an error code 0x81000031. I went to file Libraries, then right clicked on the sub files, select properties. I had several entries in the box of Library locations such as my drives. I proceeded
    to click Restore Defaults. clearing all but the sub file name. I did this on each sub file under Libraries. Restarted the computer and was able to run Windows Backup with no problems. Hope this help others.

TedArnett, Jan 14, 2017
  4. Error 0x81000031, Windows Backup failed while determining libraries...

Welcome to the TenForums @jfwood92

When I look up that error message it mentions Custom Library(s) are unavailable. Your error message seems to infer the same.

Could I suggest that you reenter Backup and click on "Change Settings" and ensure there is not a file / folder checked that you are unaware of. Particularly any that are on removable devices like external HDD's or USB keys.

I assume when you back up using this process you are also creating an Image of "C". Are you also creating the disk they recommend? You will see posts that say you have a higher rate of success finding the "Image" with the cd that was created as part of process.

Many members here recommend Macrium Reflect as an Imaging Tool. Might be worth a peek.

As well, and you may already have created, have you created a Recovery USB Drive for windows 10. This is not a data backup but it will help you get out of jams. Most recovery drives fit on 8GB keys, if you start process Windows will tell you what you need. Type Recovery Drive in Cortana to get yourself started.

Caledon Ken, Jan 15, 2017
  5. jfwood92 Win User
    I'm sorry, but I looked to see if there was anything out of the ordinary with the libraries. There wasn't anything checked that had to do with backing up a removable drive. Is there anyway to remotely help me out?

jfwood92, Jan 17, 2017
  6. Can you do a screen print with all the backup items expanded.

I found a Windows 7 & Windows 8.1 reset for Backup but can't find one for Windows 10. Now as this a Windows 7 port then it should work. I will try it on one of my machines before the weekend.

Not ignoring your last sentence, just giving some thought. The technology is out there.

You may wish to look at some other tools. Macrium Reflect Free is great for Images. Easeus Free does a sound jobs on file back ups.

Of course we may just be able to find actually solution to problem. I will try the routine on one of my devices.

Caledon Ken, Jan 18, 2017
  7. Morning John. As promised I ran the test on my test machine and it reset Backup and Restore (Windows 7) to its original state.

This is from the SevenForums and is labelled 7 and 8. Given this functionality was a port to Windows 10 I had a high confidence ratings in it. That said, everything we do has a risk, that is what keeps it interesting.

It worked on my system and I rebooted to ensure nothing fell apart. I ran backup. It couldn't find two unnecessary files in my default user so no big deal.

Create a restore point before trying in case you want to go back. Better safe than sorry.

Backup User and System Files - Reset to Default Configuration - Windows 7 Help Forums

Caledon Ken, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Error 0x81000031, Windows Backup failed while determining libraries...

1. Error 0x81000031, Windows Backup failed while determining libraries... - Similar Threads - Error 0x81000031 Backup

2. How to backup libraries in Windows 11 to OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to backup libraries in Windows 11 to OneDrive: I saw another post asking about this, and there doesn't seem to be a way: only the user folders are options for auto sync in Onedrive. Is that still the case? And what happens if/when I reinstall Windows or get a new PC? Is there a way that libraries can be synced like the...
  3. How to backup libraries in Windows 11 to OneDrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to backup libraries in Windows 11 to OneDrive: I saw another post asking about this, and there doesn't seem to be a way: only the user folders are options for auto sync in Onedrive. Is that still the case? And what happens if/when I reinstall Windows or get a new PC? Is there a way that libraries can be synced like the...
  4. Windows backup fails with error code 0x8078015b.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows backup fails with error code 0x8078015b.: I have two Lenovo laptops that used to backup fine but now do not. I am using the Windows 7 backup tool to create a system image once a week. It now fails and I get error code 0x8078015b. I have deleted all files at the destination location and this did not help....
  5. can't resolve backup error code 0x81000031

can't resolve backup error code 0x81000031: When in windows 10 backup setting and clicking backup now nothing happens other than error code 0x81000031. Have tried various recommended fixes including PC reset which also does not work. Help please....
  6. Windows Backup failed, Error code 0x8078011E

in Windows 10 News
    Windows Backup failed, Error code 0x8078011E: [ATTACH]Windows offers a built-in backup feature to periodically take your files’ backup and restore […] This article Windows Backup failed, Error code 0x8078011E first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  7. Error while using Office libraries

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Error while using Office libraries: Team, I’m seeing following error when trying to use office libraries in .Net application for my POC. This was working earlier but stopped working after installing Visual Studio Tools for Office 2010. Error : Word Cannot load the OLE 2.0 or Docfile libraries Kindly...
  8. Runtime Library error while playing games on Uplay.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Runtime Library error while playing games on Uplay.: Hello. I’ve recently got this error while playing games, this only happens for games on Uplay though not on steam or anywhere else. this first occured yesterday. I have been able to play games on Uplay before without problems so this has just started happening. I have just...
  9. The backup failed. There was a failure while compacting virtual disk on backup location...

The backup failed. There was a failure while compacting virtual disk on backup location...: [ATTACH] I was doing a system image backup on USB flash drive which almost 2 TB, I was doing backup to network location, like the video on he instruction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCxJfUO1-Qw It is basically explains how to do image system backup to USB...
  10. Backup fails

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Backup fails: Dear reader, Thank you to take some of your precious time to read my post and help me solve the following problem with the system backup Following latest windows update version: 10.0.17134 build 17134 ASUS T200TA ; Windows10 version: 10.0.17134 build 17134 There is no...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. 0x81000031

2. status.wait.1 0x81000031

3. window 10 backup error 0x81000031

4. what is error code 0x81000031,
  5. back up error 0x81000031 windows 10,
  6. 0x81000031 backup,
  7. windows 10 not backing up on external disc - error Ox81000031 ,
  8. windows backup failed while determining libraries location of one of the users included in backup details:status_wait_1,
  9. windows backup failed while determining libraries of one of the users included in the backup.,
  10. windows back failed while determining,
  11. windows 10 error code 0x81000031,
  12. error code 0x81000031 the device is not ready,
  13. error code 0x81000031 windows 10,
  14. error 0x81000031 the device is not ready