Windows 10: Error 0x81000036, Windows could not find backup devices

Discus and support Error 0x81000036, Windows could not find backup devices in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH]In this article, we will describe the possible solutions for Error 0x81000036, Windows could not find backup devices. Some Windows 10 users... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Jun 26, 2021.

1. WinClub New Member

Error 0x81000036, Windows could not find backup devices

Error 0x81000036, Windows could not find backup devices Error-0x81000036-Windows-not-find-backup.png
    In this article, we will describe the possible solutions for Error 0x81000036, Windows could not find backup devices. Some Windows 10 users have reported that they received an error 0x81000036 on their system during an attempt to create a system image backup. When this error occurs, the following message appears on the screen: Windows could […]

This article Error 0x81000036, Windows could not find backup devices first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com.

read more...

WinClub, Jun 26, 2021
  2. henry_799 Win User

buckup windows 10 error (0x81000036)

henry_799, Jun 26, 2021
  3. Louie Del Win User

Hi Henry,

The error code 0x81000036 is usually caused by misconfigured system files. Regarding your concern, we’d like to confirm if you're trying to
    restore the previous version of Windows 10 on your laptop or if you’re using a backup software and doing a backup on your computer.

If not, may we know exactly what you’re trying to perform when you’ve encountered the error? If you could also send us a
    screenshot of the complete error message to check it further.

We’ll wait for your response.

Louie Del, Jun 26, 2021
  4. Bokenzhe Win User

Backup Issue - Microsoft 10 - Get Backup Errors - Third Try Didn't Work

This is my third try for help.

I've enclosed my problem, the steps suggested which I performed, and current status.

My backup stubbornly refuses to run. I can't run the initial backup, therefore the file history backups don't run either. This has been an ongoing problem for quite some time. Suggestions I've received have not worked so far. Following is the problem
    and the failed resolution attempts:

• I get this message from the Event Log:

Unable to scan user libraries for changes and perform backup of modified files for configuration C:\Users\Papa\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config

Event ID - 201

Level: Error

User - System

*** ---- There is no config file at this directory location. The contents of the location are:

catalog1

catalog2

config1

config2

• In another thread from July, someone suggested checking a particular service (I forget the name just now) is running. It is.

• Two days ago a Microsoft employee suggested the following steps. These steps resulted in no change, still no backup:

KA

Karthicka_R replied on

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to start and stop the services “Windows backup” and “volume shadow copy” and check if it helps.

• Press “Windows+R” and in the run command box type “services. MSc”.
    • Search for the service “Windows Backup” double click on it and check whether the service is started or not, click on “OK” button. I suggest you to stop and start the service again.
    • Once done again search for the service “Volume shadow copy” double click on it and check whether the service is started or not. I suggest you to stop and start the service again, click on “OK” button and
      check whether you can perform backup successfully.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

• I performed these steps multiple times. The backup still crashes, with the same error message. In addition I collected the following error message, but only one time:

Unable to start a backup cycle for configuration C:\Users\Papa\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config

Event ID: 200

• Can anyone help me with this stubborn problem?

Thank you in advance.

You had this question

• Error 0x81000036, Windows could not find backup devices [​IMG]

DM

Divya M replied on

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

We sincerely regret for the inconvenience caused.

Method 1Perform a Clean Boot to see if there is any software conflict as clean boot helps in eliminating software conflicts.

Note: After performing the troubleshooting steps in clean boot, follow Step 7 from the link to return the computer toNormal startup mode.

Method 2: Run check disk to check for any errors.

Note: If any bad sectors are found in the hard drive then it might try to repair that particular sector. If you have any data on that, it might be lost.

You may also follow the below link and check if it helps:

Windows Insider Program

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

-----------------------------------

Yes, I need more assistance.

I ran a disk check on both the source and destination drives for the backup. No errors.

I executed a clean boot. (I have left myself in the clean boot). It doesn't seem to work

I'm not sure to check whether it has worked, and I just couldn't tell. How do I confirm that the initial, image, backup has been completed?

The event viewer reports this error every time I attempt to manually initiate a backup:

Unable to scan user libraries for changes and perform backup of modified files for configuration C:\Users\Papa\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config

Event ID: 201.

I'm assuming that with this error, my backups are not being done.

Bokenzhe, Jun 26, 2021
Thema:

1. Error 0x81000036, Windows could not find backup devices - Similar Threads - Error 0x81000036 find

2. My backup failed: 0x81000036

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    My backup failed: 0x81000036: Hello! While I tried to restore my computer from backup, this error appeared:The system image restore failed.Error details: 0x81000036Can anyone help me out? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-backup-failed-0x81000036/94e94d3d-e98f-496e-9edd-9e9c83180185
  3. Could not find script file error

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Could not find script file error: II have run malwarebyte antimalware as well as the system file checker tool, both of which reveal no problems. My computer occasionally freezes and crashes about once a day, give or take After I restart the error pops up again.Ryzen 5 1600EVGA 1060 6gb card16 gigs of ramI...
  4. Windows 10 Error code 0x81000036

Windows 10 Error code 0x81000036: Over the weekend when my automated Windows 10 backup was to occur - the execution of the system backup failed with a 0x81000036 error. I have read a lot of internet information and it seems to all point to a number of repair technics that none of are applicable to my desktop...
  5. Windows 10 Error code 0x81000036 - help required

Windows 10 Error code 0x81000036 - help required: Over the weekend when my automated Windows 10 backup was to occur - the execution of the system backup failed with a 0x81000036 error. I have read a lot of internet information and it seems to all point to a number of repair technics that none of are applicable to my desktop...
  6. Backup Error 0x8078012D, The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error

in Windows 10 News
    Backup Error 0x8078012D, The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error: When using the Windows Backup and Restore Tool in Windows10, if you receive the following Backup error message, then this post will be able to help you: The operation failed due to a device error encountered with either the source or destination, The request could not be...
  7. Create System Image Error Windows Could Not Find Backup Device

Create System Image Error Windows Could Not Find Backup Device: Dear Sir Hope all is well , Yesterday i have upgraded my Win 10 Pro From 1909 to Win 10 2004 Version, Everything looks fine but when i want to take system image for backup and Click "Create System Image" after so,e time Error appears " Windows Could Not Find Backup Device on...
  8. Could Not Find Compatible Direct3D Devices.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Could Not Find Compatible Direct3D Devices.: I've currently started to notice some major performance issues with my computer so I decided to do a scan on my computer using http://www.userbenchmark.com. upon doing this scan I got a pop up.... So I looked this up and the only thing I could find was to uninstall my drivers...
  9. windows could not find a backup for this computer

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    windows could not find a backup for this computer: did a backup several days ago using restore backup when ancient laptop was running as if new. An old problem returned so I wanted to see if a restore would fix it. restore gave the message, "windows could not find a backup for this computer" 89987
  10. Create System Image - Windows could not find backup devices

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Create System Image - Windows could not find backup devices: Hi, When trying to create a system image I get the following error - any ideas anyone? [img] I have HDD attached but they are encypted with bitlocker. Prior to upgrade I had no issues. Cheers, 28828