Windows 10: Error 0xc0000185 every time I boot, and the Windows Recovery Media gets stuck in the...

Discus and support Error 0xc0000185 every time I boot, and the Windows Recovery Media gets stuck in the... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I'm experiencing error 0xc0000185 every time I boot, and the Windows Recovery Media USB gets stuck in the loading screen Windows logo, so I'm not able... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Dumitru.Covali, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Error 0xc0000185 every time I boot, and the Windows Recovery Media gets stuck in the...

I'm experiencing error 0xc0000185 every time I boot, and the Windows Recovery Media USB gets stuck in the loading screen Windows logo, so I'm not able to rebuild the boot files.

I suppose the reason of it getting stuck is because it cannot read/detect/mount the system partition.

It has a similar behavior when I connect the storage media problematic drive SSD to a working Windows 10: Diskpart gets stuck when you open it and Partition Manager don't work, same with software like MiniTool Partition Wizard and Recuva they just don't open when that drive is connected.

Interesting enough Windows Explore manages to show the two separate partition and I'm able to acces the data on the second partition non-system, but when I try to open the system partition it might freeze or crash the explorer. And one more thing is that you cannot shutdown or restart the pc while that drive is connected, or format the drive.

:)

Dumitru.Covali, Feb 21, 2020

2. Windows defender offline error: EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD - 0xc0000185

Hi Dave,

Could you provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the make and model of your device?
    • Have you made any changes to the operating system prior to this issue?
    • Are you able to boot the device to desktop with this error message?

This issue might have occurred due to corruption in the boot files or BOIS unable to detect your drive to boot.

I suggest you to refer to the below thread, check if your issue matches with the same.

If so, try the troubleshooting steps suggested by -.[Final]#[Boss].- and check if
    it helps.

Error code after update File:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot BCD
    Error Code 0xc0000185 BSOD

Hope this information is helpful.

SujataMoktan, Feb 21, 2020
  3. boot configuration data missing Error 0xc0000185

Hi Arnold,

Sorry for taking so long to reply.

Thank you for your suggestion,.

From the link in your post i guess restoring Windows 10 is possible when Windows is running and when Windows Recovery Environment launches the Troublesheet screen while Windows is not running.

But in my laptop as soon as i switch it on I am getting the Blue screen with the following message:

Recovery:

Your PC/Device needs to be repaired

The boot configuration Data for your PC is missing or contains errors.

File:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD

Error code: 0xc0000185

you'll need to use recovery tools. if you don't have any installation media(like a disc or USB device), contact your PC administrator or PC/Device manufacturer.

I tried with other boot options as well every time I'm seeing the same Error Message. So I'm not sure how i can reset to Restore Windows 10.

Thanks,

Dilip

dilipsvaishnav, Feb 21, 2020
  4. Error 0xc0000185 every time I boot, and the Windows Recovery Media gets stuck in the...

Error code: 0xc0000185

Error code 0xc0000185 can be caused by damaged or corrupted startup files or errors on the hard disk. Did the issue happen while updating your Windows 10 device?

Pressing Enter will instruct Windows to automatically fix the boot problem. Should the issue continue, you can use a Windows 10 installation media as stated in your screenshot. You can create one using the
    Media Creation Tool installed on a different machine.
    Arul_D provided steps on how to resolve
    Error code 0xc0000185 on his response from this
    thread.
    He also provided a link on how to create an installation media for Windows 10.

Let us know how it goes.

Devlin Sco, Feb 21, 2020
Thema:

Error 0xc0000185 every time I boot, and the Windows Recovery Media gets stuck in the...

1. Error 0xc0000185 every time I boot, and the Windows Recovery Media gets stuck in the... - Similar Threads - Error 0xc0000185 every

2. How can I get windows to prompt for recovery key every time i boot? This is an intention?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I get windows to prompt for recovery key every time i boot? This is an intention?: I want to leave my computer for a while, it boots without the recovery key? Does anyone know how to force windows to ask for recovery key every boot? I tried Group Policy and it only works when I boot offline from another system, but I need it to be locked to where I need the...
  3. How can I get windows to prompt for recovery key every time i boot? This is an intention?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I get windows to prompt for recovery key every time i boot? This is an intention?: I want to leave my computer for a while, it boots without the recovery key? Does anyone know how to force windows to ask for recovery key every boot? I tried Group Policy and it only works when I boot offline from another system, but I need it to be locked to where I need the...
  4. How can I get windows to prompt for recovery key every time i boot? This is an intention?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Error 0xc0000185 and UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Error 0xc0000185 and UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME: I keep getting these two errors in an alternating way, is there anything to do without losing data? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-0xc0000185-and-unmountable-boot-volume/126da381-0805-4ee7-91e2-e4e456d890b0
  6. Repair drive errors blue Recovery screen 0xc0000185 error code

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Repair drive errors blue Recovery screen 0xc0000185 error code: I downloaded Pycharm on Jetbrains website on Tuesday night and installed it the same night. Then a message from Security and Maintenance appeared saying ”you have some files that needs to be repaired” and informed me that windows will restart itself after repairing those...
  7. Error 0xc0000185 and the Windows Recovery Media gets stuck in the loading screen

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Error 0xc0000185 and the Windows Recovery Media gets stuck in the loading screen: I'm experiencing error 0xc0000185 every time I boot, and the Windows Recovery Media (USB) gets stuck in the loading screen (Windows logo), so I'm not able to rebuild the boot files. I suppose the reason of it getting stuck is because it cannot read/detect/mount the system...
  8. Recovery Device Needs To Be Repaired Error 0xc0000185

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Recovery Device Needs To Be Repaired Error 0xc0000185: Lo que sucedió fue lo que me dijo cayo arriba el mouse en mi computadora portátil Dell y tuve que forzar reiniciar y ahora aparece un cartel que dice: El dispositivo de recuperación necesita ser reparado error 0xc0000185 Porfavor necesito ayuda...
  9. 0xc0000185 error

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    0xc0000185 error: The automatic repair is not working and redirect me to the blue screen. I dowloaded the media installation tool, but I am not able to proceed to the necessary screen on my Dell computer. I try F8, Enter or Escş but they all bring me back to the same page....
  10. Will not boot except through recovery - every time

in Windows 10 Support
    Will not boot except through recovery - every time: After having trouble with the Fall Creators Update not installing, I finally got it to install, but my computer would never shut down afterwards. I foolishly forced power off, and now am stuck with a bizarre boot problem, which I'll describe as well as I can below. My...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. stuck at 0xc0000185 when booting