Windows 10: Error 10016 in Event Viewer

Discus and support Error 10016 in Event Viewer in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello. I keep having Errors 10016 involving DCOM in Event Log. Even when I set correct permissions with the Regedit and DCOM administrative... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Reinstallator, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Error 10016 in Event Viewer

Hello.

I keep having Errors 10016 involving DCOM in Event Log.

Even when I set correct permissions with the Regedit and DCOM administrative console regarding the CLSID and APPID, those errors keep appearing with a different item each time a few days later.

So I was thinking to do the following, instead of modifying each key each time : open DCOM Administrative console, clicking on "Components Services", "Computers", "My computer". Then right clicking on "My Computer", "Properties", "DCOM Security", and add Users SIDs involved in the 10016 errors in the "Launch and Activation" category.

Do you think it would work ?

Thanks !

:)

Reinstallator, Oct 24, 2016

2. Event viewer error 10016

Hi Eve,

For us to narrow down your concern for getting the event viewer error 10016, we would like to know the following:

• Were there any changes made on your computer prior to the issue (i.e., updates, software installation)?
    • Is this the first time you experienced the issue?
    • When did the issue first begin?

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, Oct 24, 2016
  3. Eve_1900 Win User
    Event viewer error 10016

Hi,

I've tried everything to try and resolve multiple errors relating to com server. I can't alter the permissions within the component services/DCOM config. I've tried everything logging in with the default built in administrator account and making sure my
    user account has permissions at the computer level. That didn't work. Then tried booting in safe mode and tried to change the permissions but that didn't work. Every time I would go to the permissions tab for the CLSID hex value everything was grayed out.
    The same happened when I tried to change permissions in the registry. I'm at a loss! Does anyone have a clue why this is impossible to change?

Thanks so much.

Eve_1900, Oct 24, 2016
  4. Error 10016 in Event Viewer

I can answer : it doesn't seem to work.

"System" has already had all of the checkboxes checked, but I had to manually add the permissions.

Reinstallator, Oct 24, 2016
  5. Adalwar Win User
    In Event viewer you have to see:
    - which User is missing, for example, Networking Service, System
    - which permission is missing, for example "Local Activation"
    - you have to take ownership of CLSID and APPID that are shown in Event viewer, but remember who has the Ownership because you should put it back to this one after you finished.
    - Search Registry for both CLSID and APPID and takeownership
    - In APPID, in the right pane, there is the real Service Name; Take note of it, you need to look for it later.
    - Reboot
    - open Run> COMEXP.MSC
    - Click Computers>My Computer>DCOM Config
    - Search for the Service Name you noted from registry entry or you may search by APPID from event viewer
    - Right Click>Properties>Security and there you have to make the changes that Event Viewer said are bad or missing

Adalwar, Oct 24, 2016
  6. Cliff S New Member
    Is the error showing up in your Reliability History?
    Is it causing any software to not function?

If the answer is "No", to both, don't worry about the DCOM errors in Event Viewer.
    I get them all the time, and they are meaningless to the user.
    Some errors are actually expected, such as the DCOM.

Some are just timeouts:
    Here it states "do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server", So it probably needs online permission.
    I tried fixing it once(with instructions online), and my system went
    Error 10016 in Event Viewer [​IMG]
    and then I had to reimage.

Also granting permissions, where you shouldn't opens the door to malware and Ransomware.

Cliff S, Oct 24, 2016
  7. Rose W Win User
    <quote>'Here it states "do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server",
    First time I have seen a straightforward statement about this (annoying) recorded error at startup. If it is associated with online then that is the explanation because my system starts up so fast...or the internet connection is so slow there are also messages that network etc are not there. That fast startup is disabled but this current AU version zooms into action before the connections so this DCOM error has persisted.

Rose W, Oct 24, 2016
  8. Adalwar Win User

Error 10016 in Event Viewer

For my "poor" understanding, system is complaining that Local Activation is not granted as required , in other words, system can not perform request because the Local Activation is not allowed. It has nothing to do with that it should be remotely, the message should , in that case, be then "Remote Activation".

Adalwar, Oct 24, 2016
  9. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Correct.
    Those DCOM errors are quite easy enough to fix but OTOH they're harmless and next time there's a CU they'll quite likely sneak back in.

To TS: If you like to fix this then here's how to :

Windows 10 Event ID 10010 and 10016 Errors With DistributedCOM

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Oct 30, 2016
  10. Adalwar Win User
    Hi there,
    I did this corrections and since then and after at least 321 and 351 updates they did no come back.
    Indeed, I did had situations where the corrected DCOM errors were coming back. There are so many "updates" flying around and I can not remember in what situation they were coming back, but I believe it was by doing a In-Place upgrade that they come back, but I am not sure.

EDIT: The "problem" is that Machine is losing "time" trying to do the Task and Writing Events, so all that take time and makes PC Slower.

Adalwar, Oct 30, 2016
  11. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Quite often they are :

-Runtimebroker

-Immersive Shell

_ {F72671A9-012C-4725-9D2F-2A4D32D65169}

The main thing to remember is to return ownership to the original owner. Most of the time that would be TrustedInstaller but not always.

Yeah, I lost track of how or why these crop up again too........

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Oct 30, 2016
  12. JohnBurns Win User
    Thanks for post, Cliff. At least I won't be spinning my wheels trying to fix something relatively unimportant now.

JohnBurns, Nov 17, 2016
  13. Cliff S New Member

You're welcome John.

I have found Event Viewer is there, to help give information about the error Windows shows you(Reliability History, or a popup window), and not to look for errors.

Cliff S, Nov 18, 2016
  14. chrisedug Win User
    Thank you very much! Really helpful to solve my 10016 issues!

chrisedug, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Error 10016 in Event Viewer - Similar Threads - Error 10016 Event

2. looking for help for this error in my event viewer error 10016

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    looking for help for this error in my event viewer error 10016: Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM Date: 9/19/2020 1:40:44 AM Event ID: 10016 Task Category: None Level: Warning Keywords: Classic User: SYSTEM Computer: DESKTOP-AAI2QG3 Description: The...
  3. Event viewer 10016/ DPC_WATCHDOG_Violation

Event viewer 10016/ DPC_WATCHDOG_Violation: Hello, I have an issue with my PC which was built new a few months ago Windows 10 18363.720 that when playing some games it crashed to computer shut down very suddenly like power outage and restart soon after, the shut downs occurs at very specific time when playing...
  4. Computer crashes and DistributedCOM 10016 error is in Event Viewer

Computer crashes and DistributedCOM 10016 error is in Event Viewer: Hello, I just upgraded from win 7 64bit to win 10 pro 64 bit and my pc has randomly crashed many times a day. In the Event Viewer at crash time, there is a Distributed COM 10016 error The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission...
  5. Games keep crashing, Error 10016 in Event viewer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Games keep crashing, Error 10016 in Event viewer: So my games keep crashing and after searching in google, people said to check event viewer. there are multiple error 10016 in there but there are 10 on the exact same time. I searched for a fix but when i get into the DCOM Config everything is greyed out. This is the...
  6. Error 10016 in Event Viewer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Error 10016 in Event Viewer: I have a ton of these errors showing in event viewer, I'm really not sure what I need to do to correct this and was hoping somebody here could guide me through the process especially if I need to change something in the registry... The application-specific permission...
  7. Event Viewer Error 10016 - What should I do?

Event Viewer Error 10016 - What should I do?: Following Clean Install of Windows 10 I ran Event Viewer and Error 10016 appeared *Sad - description said Application-specific settings do not grant Local Activation permission for APPID 4839DDB7-58C2-48F5-8283-E1D1807D0D7D. What did I do wrong? What should I do to...
  8. Event Error ID 10016 in Event Viewer...

Event Error ID 10016 in Event Viewer...: Windows 10 Home 64 bit ASUS X540LA Notebook What is going on here and what is the best for dealing with this? The AppID seems to be designating RuntimeBroker, but I have done everything so far to correct this error. What am I missing? Log Name: System Source:...
  9. Event Viewer Event ID# 10016 listed four consecutive times at boot??

in Windows 10 Support
    Event Viewer Event ID# 10016 listed four consecutive times at boot??: Morning Steve C, I appreciate your willingness to participate in this discussion. Thanks and regards,
  10. Event id 10016

in Windows 10 Support
    Event id 10016: I, like many other Win10 users, am getting a lot of DCOM Eventid 10016 events logged. I've seen a number of explanations (which I haven't understood) and several solutions. However, I have not seen a clear description of what requests are failing and what the result of the...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. does error 10016 in event veiwer slow computer down ?