Windows 10: Error 6118 and Net View problem - SOLVED At LAST

Discus and support Error 6118 and Net View problem - SOLVED At LAST in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Whilst trying to solve the issue I was surprised to see so many posts about it on the Net. Many 'fixes' were mentioned, many failures too. There are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Marlbrook, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Marlbrook Win User

Error 6118 and Net View problem - SOLVED At LAST

Whilst trying to solve the issue I was surprised to see so many posts about it on the Net. Many 'fixes' were mentioned, many failures too. There are lots of possible factors involved, however the solution to my problem involved no changing of P.C. settings. It is only relevant if you have one or more WiFi Range Extenders in your system, or a similar device that may have DHCP capabilities.

I have several network wired P.C.'s. They all started to have this problem. Using a Command Prompt window, entering Net View / ALL produced the error, however entering Net View with an individual computer name or IP address worked.

Selecting NETWORK in Explorer resulted in most connected devices not showing under 'Computers', although they did show under 'Media Devices' and 'Storage'.

The contents could be accessed in other ways, but the problem really aggravated me. I researched the matter for weeks, and tried dozens of offered solutions, all without result. Most revolved around changing P.C. settings, but I soon realised that since the problem was universal to all connected computers, my solution lay somewhere in one or other connected devices.

Making sure DHCP was only enabled in one Router, and rebooting them did not resolve the issue. I then
    realised I had other Networked items I had not considered.

I have 3 TP-LINK Range Extenders (RE305) in my system, which work very well. More research indicated they may have DHCP options, however try as I may I could not access them.

So I removed all 3 from the system. Went to the P.C., and all my devices had appeared again using Net View and Explorer.

I was concerned that I would not be able to use the Extenders, but decided to continue slowly. I plugged in the first, then the second as well, no Network problems. All devices showing on P.C.

I plugged in the last Range Extender, and Error 6118 was back. The solution was to just Setup the device
    again. I used all the same settings. Network devices showing and accessible on all my P.C.'s again.

So there we are. I would still turn of DHCP on all but one Router if there are several, but in this case the culprit was definitely a WiFi Range Extender.

:)

Marlbrook, Jul 12, 2019

2. net view cmd command error 6118

Every time I try to run net view i get error 6118. I am on my home wifi and i have norton security. I have tried disabling windows firewall but it hasnt worked

***Changed Windows topics by the moderator***

EvanO'Grady, Jul 12, 2019
  3. net view cmd command error 6118

Hello,

Error 6118 appears or may appear during program installation, while a Microsoft Corporation-related software program (eg. Windows) is running, during Windows startup or shutdown, or even during the installation of the Windows operating system. The error
    may be caused by a corrupt download or incomplete installation of Windows software, a corruption in Windows registry from a recent Windows-related software change (install or uninstall), a virus or malware infection that has corrupted Windows system files
    or Windows-related program files, or another program maliciously or mistakenly deleted Windows-related files. To resolve the error, we recommend that you follow the steps below.

Method 1

Run the System File Checker (SFC) tool.

Windows may not behave as expected when a system file or some system files are missing or corrupted. What we recommend is that you run a System File Checker (SFC) tool. SFC will help you scan your system files and to repair missing or corrupted system files.
    You may check the link below for instructions on running the SFC.

Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files

Method 2

Perform a clean boot. A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows 10. You
    may check the steps provided in this
    link
    Observe if the issue persists.

Your response will be highly appreciated.

Vanessa Oca, Jul 12, 2019
  4. Error 6118 and Net View problem - SOLVED At LAST

Net view no entries in the list

Net View displays a list of domains, computers, or resources that are being shared by the specified computer. Used without parameters, net view displays a list of computers in your current domain. To use the
    Net View command, follow the steps indicated on this support
    article

Should you need further assistance, feel free to let us know.

Amylove Loy, Jul 12, 2019
Thema:

Error 6118 and Net View problem - SOLVED At LAST

1. Error 6118 and Net View problem - SOLVED At LAST - Similar Threads - Error 6118 Net

2. how to solve NET HELPMSG 2182 ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to solve NET HELPMSG 2182 ?: IsPostback_RC_PendingUpdatesIsPostback: FalseWaaSMedicServiceIssue found by:BinaryHealthPluginIsPostback_RC_PendingUpdatesIsPostback: TrueService StatusProblem with BITS service : The requested service has already been started. System.Management.Automation.RemoteException...
  3. How to solve problem due to CMD command "Net user username*" ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to solve problem due to CMD command "Net user username*" ?: Hi, I'm Sashvanth. My friend has attented a cyber security workshopbeginners level. On that workshop he learn some cmd commands that can reset our administrative login passwords. The command is" Net user username* ". Then he try the cmd command in my laptop.Once he run the...
  4. How to solve problem due to CMD command "Net user username*" ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to solve problem due to CMD command "Net user username*" ?: Hi, I'm Sashvanth. My friend has attented a cyber security workshopbeginners level. On that workshop he learn some cmd commands that can reset our administrative login passwords. The command is" Net user username* ". Then he try the cmd command in my laptop.Once he run the...
  5. Error 1707 when using "net view \\server"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Error 1707 when using "net view \\server": [ATTACH] I am unable to map any drives of one of my Win10 boxes. When I click on Network in Explorer I see the computer for which I want to connect but when I double-click I get the attached error (The network address is invalid). When I do a "net view \\server" at a...
  6. How to solve this error / problem?

in Cortana
    How to solve this error / problem?: How to solve this error / problem? Description Faulting Application Path: C: \ Windows \ System32 \ RuntimeBroker.exe Problem reference number Problem name problem: MoAppCrash Full name of the package:...
  7. Net View Problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Net View Problem: I'm been searching on how to resolve this problem with my very small network. I ran net view, and it came back to me with this message "The service has not been started", followed by :NET HELPMSG 2184. My other computer when I run net view shows me both computers. Does anyone...
  8. NET VIEW command in cmd System error 1231

NET VIEW command in cmd System error 1231: Hello, I am not a networking or cmd expert but I wanted to use the command: NET VIEW but it shows: System error 1231 has occurred. The network location cannot be reached. For information about network troubleshooting, see Windows Help. How can I fix this ? Tried using...
  9. getting error 2184 from net view.

getting error 2184 from net view.: when running net view command I get error 2184 "The servie has net been started", however "net view \\specificpf" returns a list of shares from that machine. I have checked and Workstation, Server and Browser services are running....
  10. 'net view' command

'net view' command: Hi - I have an audio player (X10) and video player (Dune) connected to my router. Looking at the attached pic, can anyone explain why both appear under 'Network' (in Explorer) but only the Dune appears in the Command Prompt 'net view'? Thank you. 102085

Users found this page by searching for:

1. net helpmsg 2184

2. net view command error 6118

3. net view error 6118 windows 10

4. net view 1231,
  5. windows 10 error 6118