Windows 10: Error activating windows key on new motherboard

Discus and support Error activating windows key on new motherboard in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I recently bought a new motherboard but forgot to deactivate my Windows 10 Home key on my other motherboard. I returned that motherboard to Microcenter... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by MattFlorence1, Jul 26, 2021.

1. Error activating windows key on new motherboard

I recently bought a new motherboard but forgot to deactivate my Windows 10 Home key on my other motherboard. I returned that motherboard to Microcenter My new motherboard was installed up at Microcenter store and the PC technician told me I would have to contact Microsoft because he could not get the key activated. Are there any steps I can take to use the same windows 10 key on a new motherboard even though it hasn’t been deactivated on my old mobo? I will not have the PC in front of me until Friday evening so I cannot readily troubleshoot.At this point I’m asking if there is an easy soluti

:)

MattFlorence1, Jul 26, 2021
  2. erixx Win User

Windows 8.1 pro + WMC key activation

yeah, just don't forget that MCE gives you a new Windows key.... I had activation errors untill I entered the MCE key....

erixx, Jul 26, 2021
  3. M. Hamer Win User
    Troubleshoot activation errors in Windows 10 after a motherboard replacement or entering a Volume License key

Technical Level : Basic

Summary

We have a troubleshooter that can help with certain activation errors you might get:

1. If your PC’s manufacturer replaced your motherboard under warranty
      • Activation Error 0x803F7001
    2. If you entered a Volume License product key

Note For these errors, you will need a valid (non-Volume License) product key for Windows 8, 8.1, or 10 to finish the activation.
      • 0x8007007B
      • 0xC004E016
      • 0x8007232B
      • 0xC004F074
      • 0xC004F038

Before trying the troubleshooter, make sure you are on the most current version of Windows 10. From Start, select
    Settings, then choose System, and then press
    About
    . You should see Version 1511 listed. If you don’t see it, then click
    Settings, Update & Security, Windows Update and click
    Check for updates.

Once you know you’re on version 1511, download and run the troubleshooter:
    http://aka.ms/diag_cssemerg79558

If you had one of the Volume License key errors, you will be asked for a new key after the troubleshooter runs.

If you have trouble running the troubleshooter, please reply below.
    If you have another Activation issue, please post in the Download, Install and Activation folder of the Windows 10 support forum.

Results in Windows - Microsoft Community

Details

Activation errors after motherboard replacement

Starting with Windows 8 and continuing with Windows 8.1 and Windows 10, most PC manufactures are injecting their Windows product key into the motherboard of the PC.
    This allows the PC to activate automatically when you first boot up the PC and to re-activate if the PC is ever reset or needs a clean install.
    The product key in the motherboard is edition-specific and will only activate that edition of Windows (Home, Pro, etc.).

When the motherboard is replaced under warranty, Windows will detect a hardware change and look for the new product key that was included in the replaced motherboard.
    Sometimes the new product key is not retrieved by Windows, and you get
    Activation Error 0x803F7001
    . The troubleshooter will ask Windows to re- try retrieving the product key from the new motherboard and activated it.

Correcting the mistake of entering a Global Volume License key

The troubleshooter also corrects a second, less common issue.
    If you searched the web, you might have found and entered a Global Volume License (GVL) Key.
    GVL Keys only work for PCs in an Enterprise environment where the administrator has setup this system of licensing.
    If you mistakenly entered a GVL Key, you PC will no longer accept regular product keys, and will give the activation error 0x8007007B (or even 0xC004E016, 0x8007232B, 0xC004F074, 0xC004F038).
    This troubleshooter will identify the GVL Key and replace it with a regular retail default key.
    Your PC will not activate yet, but now will accept normal retail and OEM product keys.

M. Hamer, Jul 26, 2021
  4. Error activating windows key on new motherboard

Unable to activate windows 10 after changing motherboard

Hi William,

Thanks for replying so fast to my issue.

I followed the steps from the troubleshooter, and I reach the page where it asks me "Select this device from below". The problem is that my new device (a Gigabyte motherboard) doesn't show up on the list, only my previous motherboard (MSI).

When go to Sign in to your Microsoft account my new device is listed, as is my old one, but I don't seem to be able to make the new device pop into the list to transfer the license.

Do I have to select my old MSI motherboard from the list, and then press "activate"?

FYI: My license key is one that was upgraded from windows 8.1. I do have a product/license key of that version, but it is not accepted when I try to change my product key. It finishes in an error code 0xc004f050

MarkStraatman, Jul 26, 2021
Thema:

Error activating windows key on new motherboard

1. Error activating windows key on new motherboard - Similar Threads - Error activating key

2. Windows will not activate on my new motherboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows will not activate on my new motherboard: Hello,I recently replaced my motherboard and Windows SSD boot drive with new hardware and Windows is now displaying "Activate Windows" watermark on my screen. It appears my copy of windows is still attached to my old motherboard which is no longer usable. I wiped the old...
  3. Windows activation on a new motherboard

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows activation on a new motherboard: Looking to upgrade my motherboard, I'm aware my license says it's OEM and from what I've researched people have said that means non-transferrable. However, in my activation settings it says it's "a digital license linked to your Microsoft account," and this...
  4. New motherboard not activating windows

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    New motherboard not activating windows: So i got a new motherboard and cpu and now windows is asking to be activated, i bought windows 8 back in 2014 off amazon and then did the free upgrade to windows 10. Is there a way to get it activated or figure out my key? When i do the activation troubleshooter and it gives...
  5. Window activation on new motherboard

Window activation on new motherboard: New build and installed windows 10 but didn't activate. Motherboard was acting strange so exchanged for a different model after one day. Installed windows 10 again and tried to activate but getting message saying my product key was used on a different device and I can't...
  6. Transfer Activation Key after new Motherboard

Transfer Activation Key after new Motherboard: I built a PC a month ago and activated Windows 10 pro on it. Last week I had to replace the motherboard and now my key doesn't work. I called Microsoft support to transfer the key and they said the key was exhausted. I only used it once, but maybe it was used somehow before I...
  7. Windows activation error after installing new motherboard

Windows activation error after installing new motherboard: I recently installed a new motherboard in my desktop and now Windows says it needs to be reactivated. The troubleshooter was unable to fix the issue and re-entering the product key doesn't work either. The activation error code is 0xC004F211 and the error code that displays...
  8. Windows Activation On A New Motherboard

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Activation On A New Motherboard: I just installed a new motherboard but for some reason it is saying I cant activate windows with it. Every time I try to trouble shoot the issue it tells me the servers arnt working. Help!...
  9. Windows key won't activate after new motherboard

Windows key won't activate after new motherboard: We changed the CPU, GPU, motherboard and Ram. I had purchased my key as a windows 8 upgrade. I have medical reasons and can't call the recording. It can't hear me. So I didn't get a product key. What do I do now?...
  10. Windows 10 activation with new motherboard

Windows 10 activation with new motherboard: I've tried contacting Microsoft support by both chat (twice) and phone, and none of it was helpful. And so I'm posting the problem here. I have a laptop that was originally running Windows 7. I upgraded to Windows 10 last month via the free upgrade option, and things were...