Windows 10: Error after booting a VM after Sysprep

Discus and support Error after booting a VM after Sysprep in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Howdy, So we're trying to get our first Win10 VM up and running. I downloaded the latest ISo from the Volume License site and installed it on a VM... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Kelemvor, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Kelemvor Win User

Error after booting a VM after Sysprep

Howdy,
    So we're trying to get our first Win10 VM up and running. I downloaded the latest ISo from the Volume License site and installed it on a VM just fine. I ran all Windows Updates as well.

After that I ran Sysprep and choose OOBE, Generalize, and Shutdown. I then copied the VHDX file to a new location for a new VM as we normally do.

That all seemed to work fine until I then attached that hard drive file to a new VM and fired it up. After clicking the through the timezone page I get an error stating:
    Windows could not complete the installation. To install Windows on this computer, restart the installation.

I found some info online about changing the minimum password setting to 0 but that did not help. I then fired up my Template machine to see if that would setup fine and that now gets the same error so I'm kind of stuck.

Has anyone had this error before and is there a fix for it? I don't want to have to do manual steps on every VM we create

:)

Kelemvor, Sep 21, 2015
  2. jrng Win User

"defaultuser0" created on clean install of Anniversary Update

i also has the defaultuser0 in c:\users\. i am using the windows 10 1703 iso from VLSC and create golden image in VM and the golden image does not have defaultuser0 profile before i sysprep

after sysprep, and deploy in TS and login, i see defaultuser0 in c:\users\

3. Cumulative Updaates fail every time.

Tried to install updates after putting system in clean boot state. Same results: "Couldn't install up dates, returning system to previous version."

I did get this message after installation attemp: Failded in 1st Boot Stage with error suring SYSPREP.

WindowsManiaMC, Sep 21, 2015
  4. Kari Win User

The correct procedure would be:
    • Install Windows 10 without a network connection (Yes, really: no network connection until in Audit Mode!)
    • When done and the OOBE starts, reboot to Audit Mode
    • When in Audit Mode, connect the vm to the network
    • Do not update Windows! This is extremely important, the Sysprep process still has some bugs this being one, updating Windows will most probably cause Sysprep to fail
    • If customizing, be careful: again one of the Sysprep bugs in Windows 10 is that the CopyProfile component in answer file might cause issues. You can quite safely generalize build 10240 with CopyProfile set to TRUE but later builds 10525, 10532 and 10547 will be totally screwed if CopyProfile is used
    • Run the Sysprep
    • Capture the image
    • Deploy the image to a new vm or physical machine

5. Kelemvor Win User
    We don't do any customization at all. We only update our templates so that Windows Updates are completed. The rest of our settings are GPO pushes.

So I guess I might as well just install Windows directly on each VM since it doesn't take very long and will wait to make a Template image until they fix Sysprep?

Thanks.

Kelemvor, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Error after booting a VM after Sysprep - Similar Threads - Error booting Sysprep

2. After sysprep and bitlocker getting a "winload.efi" error

in Windows 10 Support
    After sysprep and bitlocker getting a "winload.efi" error: I am applying a new image, to the primary drive of a laptop, using WinPE. everything is working well until I run sysprep (for the OOBE) as we want user to receive the computer and run thought the set up. During testing, we run though the windows set up, using a test account...
  3. After sysprep and bitlocker getting a "winload.efi" error

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    After sysprep and bitlocker getting a "winload.efi" error: I am applying a new image, to the primary drive of a laptop, using WinPE. everything is working well until I run sysprep (for the OOBE) as we want user to receive the computer and run thought the set up. During testing, we run though the windows set up, using a test account...
  4. After sysprep and bitlocker getting a "winload.efi" error

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    After sysprep and bitlocker getting a "winload.efi" error: I am applying a new image, to the primary drive of a laptop, using WinPE. everything is working well until I run sysprep for the OOBE as we want user to receive the computer and run thought the set up. During testing, we run though the windows set up, using a test account to...
  5. Unable to activate windows after Sysprep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to activate windows after Sysprep: I was creating a new image from scratch. Clean windows install, added various programs I needed on these machines. Sysprep and took an image, after enabling admin account and putting on the domain I am unable to put the windows key in. When I do I am getting: "Unable to...
  6. Cannot boot after SYSPREP (error 0xc0000001), win1809

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot boot after SYSPREP (error 0xc0000001), win1809: Hello, I prepared my windows (ver. 1809) and run sysprep.exe /oobe /generalize /unattended ... After cloning on target device and the first boot, I get error "system thread exception not handled" and after third attempt I get error code 0xc0000001. Text saying that PC needs...
  7. Problems with sign-in after sysprep

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Problems with sign-in after sysprep: Hi, I used SysPrep a little while ago to reset my system for anticipation of a motherboard swap. So I ran sysprep and then installed new motherboard and when I rebooted for first time again Windows setup created a new user. So now I have two users the first of which...
  8. Office issue after sysprep

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Office issue after sysprep: Hi everbody, I've deployed for my compagny Win10 with custom image on acer pcs. I've used sysprep for install programs and customize profil. Thanks Kari for this thread: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...e-sysprep.html All is fine. But I have a new problem on...
  9. sysprep errors after removing windows 10 apps

in Windows 10 Support
    sysprep errors after removing windows 10 apps: I removed some win 10 apps before using sysprep to generalize my image and now i'm having errors when i try to generalize with sysprep. the apps i removed using: Code: #To remove Feedback Hub app from all current accounts on PC Get-appxpackage -allusers...
  10. Error message after generalized sysprep

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Error message after generalized sysprep: I have 2 exactly the same configured Windows installations, both 32bit and 64bit. These Windows installations are referring to other other drives for specific settings, such as: * The users folder is redirected to the `U:\Users` drive * Some programs are installed on the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. problem with docker after sysprep vm

2. 7EE7776C.LinkedInforWindows_2.0.1.0_neutral_~_w1wdnht996qgy remove