Windows 10: Error attempting to redirect Documents folder

Discus and support Error attempting to redirect Documents folder in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Windows 10 Home version: 19041.208 On a brand new machine, I have a 1TB SSD with System and Games partitions, and a 4TB HDD for storage. On my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by HoggyDog, Oct 9, 2020.

1. HoggyDog Win User

Error attempting to redirect Documents folder

Windows 10 Home version: 19041.208

On a brand new machine, I have a 1TB SSD with System and Games partitions, and a 4TB HDD for storage.

On my previous Win 7 system, I had a 64GB System SSD and it was ample once I created Junction Links to redirect my large Program Files installations and my Documents folder. On this new system, I partitioned the 1TB SSD to 118GB for C: and 880GB for Games. To my dismay, I filled up the 118GB partition the first night so I tried to expand it by first shrinking the G: partition then expanding the C: partition. This failed due to the G: partition being "between" the C: partition and the unallocated space.

So I used the Location tab in the C:\Users\{me}\OneDrive\Documents folder to try to redirect it to the vast expanse of my empty 4TB HDD. Windows blocked me saying "Can't move the folder because there is a folder in the same location that can't be redirected. Access Denied." I have no idea what that actually means- same location as what? The source Documents folder or the destination Documents folder? I suspect that this refusal of Windows to allow me to manage my machine is due to the onerous and involuntary inclusion of my Documents folder in the OneDrive umbrella. I did not opt-in to OneDrive. I do not want OneDrive. But I can't find any way to get rid of it, or remove my Documents folder from its insidious grasp.

Now, I have a very fast unusable machine because of OneDrive's stranglehold on my data. I would appreciate any help in exterminating the obscene OneDrive infestation from MY machine, and redirecting my C:\ folders that don't need SSD speeds to my 4TB HDD, and expanding my C: partition.

Thanks.

:)

HoggyDog, Oct 9, 2020

2. Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Oct 9, 2020
  3. Folder Redirection Policy hiding Documents

My folder redirection policy was redirecting Documents to 10.200.0.5, after changing policy location to 10.200.0.10, all the documents that were offline disappeared. How do i resolve this issue?

Settings of Folder Redirection Policy

Move contents of Documents to new location when policy change was unchecked.

Soro Kotsoane, Oct 9, 2020
  4. Error attempting to redirect Documents folder

Redirected my Documents folder to root of a hard drive, can't revert

Hello,

In an effort to save the space on my SSD, I started redirecting the "This PC" folders to equivalent spots on my Hard Drive. In the process, I accidentally redirected the Documents folder to the root of the hard drive. I am so far unable to revert this or
    change it to the proper spot on that hard drive. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Marcus Shepherd, Oct 9, 2020
Thema:

Error attempting to redirect Documents folder

1. Error attempting to redirect Documents folder - Similar Threads - Error attempting redirect

2. mspaint.exe attempting to access a documents folder.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    mspaint.exe attempting to access a documents folder.: Why is Paint trying to access a documents folder? That I don't even use? I might have overlooked this if it was the "Pictures" folder I also never use, but it wasn't. I'm amazed that Defender even told me this happened. Makes me wonder what is he doing behind the scenes...
  3. mspaint.exe attempting to access a documents folder.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    mspaint.exe attempting to access a documents folder.: Why is Paint trying to access a documents folder? That I don't even use? I might have overlooked this if it was the "Pictures" folder I also never use, but it wasn't. I'm amazed that Defender even told me this happened. Makes me wonder what is he doing behind the scenes...
  4. Documents Folder redirection changes using GPO or regedit

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Documents Folder redirection changes using GPO or regedit: Hi, we have the below requirement : Current environment, Document Folder is redirected to network share using Folder redirection GPO.We want to get rid of Network share for Documents and redirect or sync documents folder to OneDrive for business of users.What should be the...
  5. Documents Folder redirection changes using GPO or regedit

Documents Folder redirection changes using GPO or regedit: Hi, we have the below requirement : Current environment, Document Folder is redirected to network share using Folder redirection GPO.We want to get rid of Network share for Documents and redirect or sync documents folder to OneDrive for business of users.What should be the...
  6. Pictures Folder Redirects to Documents Folder

Pictures Folder Redirects to Documents Folder: My Pictures folder redirects to my Documents folder and I'm unable to separate them--changing location for one affects the other see screenshot. Restoring the default path for my Documents changed the Pictures folder to the same path see below: Original Documents...
  7. Pictures Folder Redirects to Documents Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Pictures Folder Redirects to Documents Folder: My Pictures folder redirects to my Documents folder and I'm unable to separate them--changing location for one affects the other see screenshot. Restoring the default path for my Documents changed the Pictures folder to the same path see below: Original Documents...
  8. Pictures Folder Redirects to Documents Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
  9. Folder Redirection

in Windows 10 Customization
    Folder Redirection: I created a folder on Windows 10 and on my Server 2016 I created a GPO that will direct Desktop of the users on the domain to the folder I created on Windows 10. Because I applied wrong the GPO I tried to delete it and unchecked the share box on the folder I created under...
  10. Creating folder on desktop redirected folders error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Creating folder on desktop redirected folders error: A member of staff wanted to clean up his desktop and started messing with the folders. Unfortunately he does not remember what he did prior to the error. His desktop is full up of icons and now when right clicking and adding new folder he gets the message below. [ATTACH]...