Windows 10: Error: C drive is unavailable while trying to access existing Word documents

Discus and support Error: C drive is unavailable while trying to access existing Word documents in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I was browsing news articles on Microsoft Edge when a box came up and an alarm sounded. A clock was counting down and I was informed the computer would... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AndrewGn, May 15, 2019.

1. AndrewGn Win User

Error: C drive is unavailable while trying to access existing Word documents

I was browsing news articles on Microsoft Edge when a box came up and an alarm sounded. A clock was counting down and I was informed the computer would be wiped unless I pressed the button. I didn't press it, instead doing a ctl-alt-del and restart. Everything seemed fine on initial reboot and I assumed it was a phishing stunt. Checked my Norton security and it reported everything fine, no bugs. It happened again a few days later so I did the same again, but have not been able to access existing Word docs since - although I can open a new Word document - and now it's saying my C drive is unavailable and might have been moved or deleted. Please help? I am not a techie, as you can probably tell.

***Modified title from Being told my C drive is unavailable***

:)

AndrewGn, May 15, 2019

2. Retriving word document on C drive

Open word and see if it is still listed I the file drop down menu if so try open it and save as again in documents. If not try search the c drive in the right hand top corner or download recuva free and see if you can find it.

OctavianQR, May 15, 2019
  3. Paola Gar Win User
    c-drive not accessible, access denied

Hi,

To better understand the issue, we'd like to get the following information:

• How are you trying to access (CError: C drive is unavailable while trying to access existing Word documents :) Drive?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • If possible, kindly send us a screenshot of the complete error message you're getting.

Looking forward to your response.

Paola Gar, May 15, 2019
  4. Error: C drive is unavailable while trying to access existing Word documents

'C' shows "Drive Access Denied" error message on accessing some of the documents in Windows 10

Hello Senthil,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We regret the inconvenience caused and will assist you in resolving the issue.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

• Are you the administrator of the user profile?
    • Are not able to access only the Office documents on C: drive?
    • Did you check if the file is accessible on changing the drive location of the Office documents?

You may be facing the above issue if you are not the administrator of the user profile you are logging in at. The administrator user account will let you make changes to the system settings, drives, files, folder and many other major system controls
    on the computer.

I suggest you to change the location of the documents you are trying to access on another system drive and check if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, write to us with the answers to the above questions and the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, May 15, 2019
Thema:

Error: C drive is unavailable while trying to access existing Word documents

1. Error: C drive is unavailable while trying to access existing Word documents - Similar Threads - Error drive unavailable

2. C drive access denied error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C drive access denied error: Windows 11 : I logged in windows 11 and changed the authenticated users settings for c drive to all access deny read , write ,etc all deny and now unable to open C drive . Also unable to change security settings of c drive to regain access.Actually I wanted my kids profile...
  3. C drive access denied error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    C drive access denied error: Windows 11 : I logged in windows 11 and changed the authenticated users settings for c drive to all access deny read , write ,etc all deny and now unable to open C drive . Also unable to change security settings of c drive to regain access.Actually I wanted my kids profile...
  4. Old user still exists on C drive, new user does not exist on C drive but still exists...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Old user still exists on C drive, new user does not exist on C drive but still exists...: I recently turned in my laptop for repair after I got a blue screen error. The error led to the laptop not being able to boot since no boot service was being detected. The repair comments state that Windows was restored to original factory settings. I set up the laptop and...
  5. Old user still exists on C drive, new user does not exist on C drive but still exists...

Old user still exists on C drive, new user does not exist on C drive but still exists...: I recently turned in my laptop for repair after I got a blue screen error. The error led to the laptop not being able to boot since no boot service was being detected. The repair comments state that Windows was restored to original factory settings. I set up the laptop and...
  6. How can I access my documents if my G Drive is unavailable?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How can I access my documents if my G Drive is unavailable?: Hi everyone,When I log in, I get this message:G:\ My Drive is unavailable. If the location is on this PC, make sure the device or drive is connected or the disk is inserted, then try again. I tried installing the G Drive again but to no avail. Any suggestions?...
  7. How can I access my documents if my G Drive is unavailable?

How can I access my documents if my G Drive is unavailable?: Hi everyone,When I log in, I get this message:G:\ My Drive is unavailable. If the location is on this PC, make sure the device or drive is connected or the disk is inserted, then try again. I tried installing the G Drive again but to no avail. Any suggestions?...
  8. "Documents is unavailable"... but documents are there.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "Documents is unavailable"... but documents are there.: Hi all. I have this problem. When i click on the left access (on documents) i get that "documents is unavailable. If the location is on this PC..." If i go to C:\users\myuser\Documents... i go to... my documents... so document is there. But is strange that if i do click...
  9. Can I convert existing paper word document into electronic word document?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can I convert existing paper word document into electronic word document?: I have a paper word doc that I need to work with. Is there a way to convert it into an electronic format without starting from scratch? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-convert-existing-paper-word-document-into/dc962fa3-fba2-4fa3-9ac1-8c3f40409494
  10. One Drive prevents me from accessing Word documents

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    One Drive prevents me from accessing Word documents: Recently, even though I'm logged into One Drive, when I open Word documents saved on One Drive I get a message telling me to "sign in" and saying something about being unable to sync. I've never had this problem before. If I'm signed in, I should be able to access existing...