Windows 10: Error 'cannot format the USB drive'

Discus and support Error 'cannot format the USB drive' in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello, I have Windows 10 and it does not allow me to format the USB memory ?. Does anyone know why the computer does not allow me to format it? And now... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Robert H.Grant, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Error 'cannot format the USB drive'

Hello, I have Windows 10 and it does not allow me to format the USB memory ?. Does anyone know why the computer does not allow me to format it? And now it's inaccessible, I tried to format it to factory settings so it's reusable again.

:)

Robert H.Grant, Apr 23, 2019
  2. Fernandz Win User

How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Apr 23, 2019
  3. timbo2410 Win User
    USB drive format

ok I've got a brand new pair of 8gb Patriot xpress usb 3.0 sticks. I plugged them in and straight away I can see them in "my computer". It shows up as FAT32 removable drive. As soon as I try and write to them, I get the error needs formating. I used patriots own format utility but the error comes up "unable to format". I downloaded several USB format software tools. They say that the drives are write protected. I've tried to format through Win7, through the command prompt, via different software and done all the usual things. I cannot believe that two new sticks can be bad .. gotta be me doing something wrong surely.

timbo2410, Apr 23, 2019
  4. mikel33 Win User

Error 'cannot format the USB drive'

USB Flash Drive saying not formatted..?

Hi,

I have a Memorex Poker Chip USB Flash Drive 1GB, and It shows up fine on one PC as "Poker Chip" in explore, and I can transfer files... but on my other PC (the one I'm on now..specs in profile) it's listed only as H: Removable Disk, and when I click on it, it says: "The Device is not formatted, would you like to format it now? (Y/N). Why would it be recognized on one PC, but the not the other? How come the other PC didn't need it formatted? When I click yes to format it, it says: "Windows was unable to complete the format"

I went to the BIOS and USB 2.0 is enabled. And Device Manager does list it as a Memorex Poker Chip..

mikel33, Apr 23, 2019
Thema:

Error 'cannot format the USB drive'

1. Error 'cannot format the USB drive' - Similar Threads - Error 'cannot format

2. USB cannot be formatted.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB cannot be formatted.: I have this 16GB USB, when I plugged it into my laptop, it only shows about 14,7GB I later learned that this issue is completely normal because companies marketed their product ''in a way that consumers could understand'' . So without knowing the issue, I went to CMD and used...
  3. Cannot format USB external drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot format USB external drive.: I used a 32GB external USB drive to run a linux distro off. This worked fine but when I wanted to reformat the USB to be used as a normal storage device, it did not appear in the 'Devices and Drivers' part of File Explorer. I attempted to use Disk Management, which it...
  4. Cannot Format USB Driver

Cannot Format USB Driver: In order to acces my usb card reader it tells me I have to format first. When I actually format the driver though it tells me that windows wasn't able to format. Anyone know why this happens ?...
  5. Can't format USB drive in NTFS format

Can't format USB drive in NTFS format: I have a sandisk 128gig flashdrive its in exFAT, every time i try to re format it into NTFS format it gives me an error pop up saying "windows was unable to complete the format" i need it for the extra storage space, hope anyone knows the solution. please get back to me....
  6. Formatted USB Drive

Formatted USB Drive: I accidentally formatted a pen drive and was wondering is there any way that I can recover data & files? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/formatted-usb-drive/9646d9c8-a251-44d1-8b1a-4b4132c5e0c1"
  7. USB DRIVE CANNOT BE FORMATTED

USB DRIVE CANNOT BE FORMATTED: Hi, I had purchased an iBall HYBRID Dual Pen drive but now when I am inserting it into the computer (Win 10 Home Single Lang - 64 Bit) , Windows is first asking me to format the drive. But as I click on the Format button it is displaying an Error Command that "Disk is...
  8. Formating USB drive

Formating USB drive: How can I format a USB memory to 2048 Byte size. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/formating-usb-drive/cb81e9aa-877a-4513-a175-81afae642744
  9. windows cannot complete format of usb flash drive

windows cannot complete format of usb flash drive: I have a 1TB usb flash drive that was Ex-Fat32 formatted. I want to put my System images for my laptop and desktop on this drive and when I try to format the drive to NTFS I get the same error every time "Windows could not complete the format of this drive" but it doesn't say...
  10. Format usb flash drive

Format usb flash drive: Hi looking for a good program to format my USB flash drive. Windows 10 won't recognise my flash drive it knows it's there but it's not showing up in drives I used the flash drive in my zgemma and the zgemma changes the partition in some way so PC won't recognise it now. I...