Windows 10: Error checking external hard drive stuck at scanning and repairing

Discus and support Error checking external hard drive stuck at scanning and repairing in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; It has been stuck for 16 hours. I cannot access the hard drive nor can I run chkdsk. If I am to physically remove the hard drive, how like will I be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Zhicong, Oct 5, 2022.

1. Zhicong Win User

Error checking external hard drive stuck at scanning and repairing

It has been stuck for 16 hours. I cannot access the hard drive nor can I run chkdsk. If I am to physically remove the hard drive, how like will I be able to recover the lost data? Or do I just have to wait for even longer?

:)

Zhicong, Oct 5, 2022

2. Repair an external hard drive connected to Windows 10

Hello Jeff,

You may try running Disk Error Checking and the CHKDISK tool to help you repair your external hard disk. Both tools are designed to fix errors on your disk. Make sure that you're signed in as administrator before performing
    these steps:

Run Disk Error Checking

• Plug in your external hard disk.
    • Open File Explorer by pressing the
      Windows keys button + E
    • Go to This PC.
    • Right-click your external hard disk under Devices and drives.
    • Select Properties
    • Go to Tools tab.
    • Under Error checking, click Check.
    • If prompted, click Yes or enter the administrator password.
    • Click Scan drive > Repair drive.
    • Wait for the process to finish.
    • The scanning process may take a while depending on the size of your external hard disk and the specifications of your PC.

Run the CHKDSK tool

• Plug in your external hard disk.
    • Click the Start button.
    • Type Command Prompt.
    • Right-click Command Prompt and then select Run as administrator.
    • On the Command Prompt screen, type the command below:
      • chkdsk <drive letter>: /f
    • <driver letter> would be the letter assigned to your external hard disk.
      • For example: chkdsk E: /f
    • Do take note of the spaces between the command.
    • Again, the scanning process duration depends on the size of the external hard disk and your PC's specifications.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

If you think this was useful, you may “mark it as an answer” to help those who are facing the same problem.

Devlin Sco, Oct 5, 2022
  3. Scanning and Repairing External Hard Drive stuck for days

Error checking external hard drive stuck at scanning and repairing a41e90c1-0891-4fe1-977a-ed0608cb0544?upload=true.png

I was having problems with transferring my files from my old (and probably dying) external drive to the new drive, so as suggested I tried using "error checking" thing as shown in the attached image. I've heard these scan and repairs could take up to 72
    hours and it's been longer. It's been stuck as shown in the attached image since last Thursday, 8/16/2018. I'm not sure if I should just let it continue running at this point because like I said, it's been days and I am really starting to worry.

Not sure how helpful this information will be, but before I started the scan and repair on this drive I was having a lot of issues with it. Like it would randomly freeze or take much longer to read a file than it should. When trying to transfer all my files
    it would work fine for about 10 seconds and then the transfer rate drops to zero and it just sits there doing nothing for hours. (left it transferring over night, it was still stuck on the same file when I got up in the morning). Then the worst thing is while
    trying to accesses files from the external drive after it's been on for more than a few minutes it actually crashes windows explorer.

I know at this point my hard drive is basically dead, but I am desperately trying to save my files before they disappear completely ;_;

GreenTea13, Oct 5, 2022
  4. Error checking external hard drive stuck at scanning and repairing

How to repair external hard drive that has errors that need repairing

Hello,
    I scanned my 2 TB external hard drive and it was found to have errors. The box said errors were found and to close the box and repair them. It doesn't say how to do this. This hard drive registers as Drive N on my PC.

I am trying to copy the files on this drive to a new 2 TB drive I just purchased, so I really appreciate any help anyone can provide.

I am new to Windows 10, and don't know the next step.

Thanks in advance.
    JC

jeffshalomngsus, Oct 5, 2022
Thema:

Error checking external hard drive stuck at scanning and repairing

1. Error checking external hard drive stuck at scanning and repairing - Similar Threads - Error checking external

2. Error checking external hard drive stuck at scanning and repairing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Error checking external hard drive stuck at scanning and repairing: It has been stuck for 16 hours. I cannot access the hard drive nor can I run chkdsk. If I am to physically remove the hard drive, how like will I be able to recover the lost data? Or do I just have to wait for even longer?...
  3. Error checking external hard drive stuck at scanning and repairing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Error checking external hard drive stuck at scanning and repairing: It has been stuck for 16 hours. I cannot access the hard drive nor can I run chkdsk. If I am to physically remove the hard drive, how like will I be able to recover the lost data? Or do I just have to wait for even longer?...
  4. Repairing external hard drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Repairing external hard drive: Hi all I store all of my photos and music on an external hard drive. Recently some photos didn't copy across properly - I deleted them but the hard drive is stuck cancelling the action and Windows is asking me to repair the drive with the message below: "We have found errors...
  5. External Hard drive scan and fix is stuck at 100%

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External Hard drive scan and fix is stuck at 100%: When I plug in my hard drive, Windows wants to repair it, then loads to 100% and gets stuck. I searched for other solutions and came across "chkdsk". When I tried that, the same error occured. I suppose the cause of the error is that my hard drive is using exFAT instead of...
  6. Scanning and repairing drive is stuck

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Scanning and repairing drive is stuck: So when i ran checkdisc i ran it so it would scan on restart. So i restarted my computer and it started doing scanning and repairing drive. Right now its saying scanning and repairing drive (\??\SystemPartition). It is stuck at 11% right now. My hard drive activity led has...
  7. Scanning and repairing drive stuck

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Scanning and repairing drive stuck: Hi, I have an Asus X556U laptop with 1 TB HDD and I just ran the chkdsk command, now it is Scanning and Repairing drive (C:) but it is stuck at 13%. If I restart my laptop it is persisting by repeating the scan and repair process. How can I cancel this operation? Thank you....
  8. Stuck Scanning and Repairing Drive.

Stuck Scanning and Repairing Drive.: I have been patiently waiting for a period of 1 hour looking at the screen of my laptop. At this present moment, Windows is stuck 'Scanning and Repairing Drive D: 9% Complete'. Can anyone help me? Kind Regards, MSM 36579
  9. scanning and repairing drive stuck

scanning and repairing drive stuck: soo today i turned onn my laptop and some programs didnt work. So i decided to do a dick check and repair. it god stuck at 6% for about half an hour i rebooted several times but it kept stoping at 6%. Now i left it scanning for almost 2 hours and it's still at 6% 73233
  10. Scanning and Repairing Drive Stuck!

in Windows 10 Support
    Scanning and Repairing Drive Stuck!: Hi, My PC has been Scanning and repairing my drive for the past 24 hours and it is stuck at 14%. This is the second time that I waited the next day for it to complete, but it stays at 14%. In that instance, I just hard reboot the machine and then I skip the disk check /...