Windows 10: Error code 0x000000e after booting from cloned M.2

Discus and support Error code 0x000000e after booting from cloned M.2 in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi I just cloned my M.2 to a bigger one and when I booted the new one the Recovery bluescreen appeared with the error code: 0x000000e. It also says a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/riggidyRiiick, May 25, 2020.

1. Error code 0x000000e after booting from cloned M.2

Hi I just cloned my M.2 to a bigger one and when I booted the new one the Recovery bluescreen appeared with the error code: 0x000000e. It also says a required device isnt connected or cant be accessed.

Is there any workaround for that? Is there anything I shouldve done other than cloning my Laptop? Bc that worked pretty much seamlessly.

submitted by /u/riggidyRiiick
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/riggidyRiiick, May 25, 2020
  2. pbftvt Win User

M.2 SATA to NVME clone: Windows 10 won't boot

Problem: Windows partition won't boot after cloning M.2 SATA drive to M.2 NVME. Simply returns to BIOS splash screen are restarts boot sequence.

Background: Cloning process was simple raw dd copy. Drive had EFI, Windows 10, and Linux partitions. Cloning preserved exact partition sequence, sizes, and UUIDs.

Linux partition needed minor tweaks to /etc/fstab due to the device names being different (/dev/nvme0n1px vs. /dev/sdax), but boots fine.

The disk is GPT, and I believe the original Windows 10 was UEFI - the Linux installation definitely was.

Boot sequence brings up Linux 'grub' menu first. Choosing the EFI partition then brings up Windows EFI boot menu. Fresh Windows install (see below) boots fine from here, old install fails.

Attempts at solution: I did a fresh Windows install in a spare partition and it boots fine. Using the new Windows installation, I've edited the BCD entry for my original Win 10 install. I have
    the correct BCD device, osdevice, and path.

Questions:

• What else needs to be done to make Windows boot again?
    • Are there any config file or registry changes that need to be made to account for the SATA to NVME move?
    • How do I see boot error messages for a UEFI boot failure? No errors displayed and no log files that I can find in Windows or EFI partitions...

pbftvt, May 25, 2020
  3. "A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed" Error 0x000000e on Windows 10

I wanted to install an SSD in a Laptop with 2 HDDs, one of which is not used. I took out the HDD which was not used, replacing it with the SSD and leaving the HDD with the
    current Windows 10 Operating system. I then installed Windows 10 from media creation on the new SSD. But I receive the error : "A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed" - "Error 0x000000e", when I select the new
    Windows installation from the Boot Manager.

Steps followed:

1. Replace HDD with new SSD. (Still with 1 OS HDD installed)
    2. Create Windows 10 installation media with the Media Creation tool from Microsoft.
    3. Boot from Windows 10 installation media.
    4. Install Windows 10 on the new SSD. (no volume exists)
    5. Installation Completes.
    6. Re-boot.
    7. Windows Boot Manager shows the 2 Windows 10 Installations.
    8. Select the new installation.
    9. Receive the error : "A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed" - "Error 0x000000e"

After some research I have found the following two options:

Option 1: This seems like a simple solution, but will I be able to boot from both Operation Systems (OS) after this?

1. Reformat the Partition created on the SSD for Windows 10
    2. Remove the old HDD from the Laptop
    3. Reinstall Windows 10 from the installation media

Option 2: This is the most common suggestion but the information around this fix is fairly limited, I don't understand why this simple installation would cause issues here? I did run bootrec /scanos and no OS was listed.

1. bootrec /fixmbr
    2. bootrec /fixboot
    3. bootrec /scanos <--- If no OS is found run the following
      1. bcdedit /export C:\bcdbackup
      2. C:
      3. cd boot
      4. attrib bcd -s -h –r
      5. ren C:\boot\bcd bcd.old
    4. bootrec /rebuildbcd
    Option 2 found from sources such as, Fix the MBR – Guide for Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10 / FIX: A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed 0x000000E on Windows 10/8/8.1 - wintips.org - Windows Tips & How-tos

DanAdrenaline, May 25, 2020
  4. Error code 0x000000e after booting from cloned M.2

Windows 10 Boot Error

Hi Max,

The error code 0x000000e may occur due to the following issues:

• Program lock-ups.
    • Slow PC performance.
    • System freezes.
    • Startup and shut down issue.
    • Installation and hardware failure.

To resolve the boot error code 0x000000e, we suggest that you follow the Startup Repair steps below:

• Turn off your computer.
    • Turn on your computer. As soon as you see the Windows logo with the spinning dots, press and hold down the power button until your computer turns off. Do this process
      twice.
    • Turn on your computer for the third time, and let it load.
    • It should give you the message: Preparing Automatic Repair.
    • On the next screen that would appear, click on Advanced Options.
    • Select Troubleshoot.
    • Go to Advanced Options.
    • Click on Startup Repair.
    • Wait for the repair to finish.

We would appreciate it if you could get back to us and provide us your feedback.

Michael Gall, May 25, 2020
Thema:

Error code 0x000000e after booting from cloned M.2

1. Error code 0x000000e after booting from cloned M.2 - Similar Threads - Error code 0x000000e

2. Cloned LEGACY SSD to M.2 error: 0xc000000e

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cloned LEGACY SSD to M.2 error: 0xc000000e: Details:Recently my 500GB SATA boot drive ran out of space due to apps/updates. I then have purchased a m.2 NVME drive. I have used Macrum Reflect 8 to clone the 500GB SATA drive to the new 1TB NVME M.2. Before that I did format the new drive with the GPT format in disk...
  3. How to Boot Windows 10 from Cloned M.2 NVME

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Boot Windows 10 from Cloned M.2 NVME: Hi I hope you can assist meI have been succesfully running windows 10 on a 4 year old M.2 NVME Disk 0 which has a read speed of around 374mb and a write speed of around 150mbs.I have just purchased another larger M.2 NVME with read and write speeds infinately superior to the...
  4. How to Boot Windows 10 from Cloned M.2 NVME

How to Boot Windows 10 from Cloned M.2 NVME: Hi I hope you can assist meI have been succesfully running windows 10 on a 4 year old M.2 NVME Disk 0 which has a read speed of around 374mb and a write speed of around 150mbs.I have just purchased another larger M.2 NVME with read and write speeds infinately superior to the...
  5. How to Boot Windows 10 from Cloned M.2 NVME

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. Error code 0x000000e

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error code 0x000000e: I ran into this problem in my laptop and now I think I have to reinstall windows in my laptop.I have a few doubts:- 1.My laptop has a dedicated graphics card and I think it requires certain softwares to run. So if I reinstall windows I think the C drive of mine would be...
  7. Error code 0x000000e

Error code 0x000000e: I ran into this problem in my laptop and now I think I have to reinstall windows in my laptop.I have a few doubts:- 1.My laptop has a dedicated graphics card and I think it requires certain softwares to run. So if I reinstall windows I think the C drive of mine would be...
  8. Cloning an m.2 NVMe boot drive to another

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cloning an m.2 NVMe boot drive to another: Hi All, I have a rather interesting issue and all of the researching and trouble shooting steps have not produced any different results so I'm trying here to see if anyone has had the same experience. Here's what I've tried. Backed up a 500gb nvme m.2 drive to internal...
  9. Cloning OS from SSD to M.2

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cloning OS from SSD to M.2: I'm ordering my first M.2 drive and I need advice. 500g ssd to 500g m.2 Can I clone the OS? What program should I use to clone? Should I just reinstall windows? 149234
  10. "your pc needs to be repaired 0x000000e" after cloning in acronis

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    "your pc needs to be repaired 0x000000e" after cloning in acronis: Hi, I have recently cloned my windows 10 in the C drive to a new F drive using Acronis True Image 2016. after attempting booting to the new F drive I get this blue screen: [img] I tried repair with a fresh copy of windows 10 on bootable USB but it didn't work....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. m2 to sata windows 10 boot 0x00000e

2. x000000e m2

3. 0x000000e after win 10 Installation m.2