Windows 10: Error Code 0xc0000185 when trying to boot off of USB windows creation tool

Discus and support Error Code 0xc0000185 when trying to boot off of USB windows creation tool in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; As the title says, recently built a new PC and went to use a USB windows 10 installer that I previously created snd kept getting this error code... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JakePark2, Jul 28, 2019.

1. JakePark2 Win User

Error Code 0xc0000185 when trying to boot off of USB windows creation tool

As the title says, recently built a new PC and went to use a USB windows 10 installer that I previously created snd kept getting this error code 0xc0000185. I am currently recreating the windows 10 installer but am worried this will not fix the issue. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

:)

JakePark2, Jul 28, 2019

2. Error code: 0xc0000185

Error code 0xc0000185 can be caused by damaged or corrupted startup files or errors on the hard disk. Did the issue happen while updating your Windows 10 device?

Pressing Enter will instruct Windows to automatically fix the boot problem. Should the issue continue, you can use a Windows 10 installation media as stated in your screenshot. You can create one using the
    Media Creation Tool installed on a different machine.
    Arul_D provided steps on how to resolve
    Error code 0xc0000185 on his response from this
    thread.
    He also provided a link on how to create an installation media for Windows 10.

Let us know how it goes.

Devlin Sco, Jul 28, 2019
  3. Windows 10 USB boot

Hi there, am not a windows 10 expert. I have a pc in the bedroom on windows 10, I messed up the bootloader trying to fix the xp on that system.

System wont boot, trying to repair via win 10 usb installer.

Downloaded the media creation tool to install windows 10 installer on usb stick. Not compatible with a host of usb sticks I have. Tried the usb sticks that others use, but I think they use rufus; as the media creation tool by win 10 does not detect the usb stick.

So quick question, the win10 machine i am trying to repair the bootloader is a win7 upgraded to win10.
    If i were to use the usb win10 installer to "repair installation" does the version of the iso downloaded via the media creation tool matter?

There is three options:
    Windows 10
    Windows 10 Home
    Windows 10 N

Also is there a step by step instead of using rufus as I want to try an alternative method of creating a usb win 10 installer. Preferably with more compatibility.

System is a asus sabertooth 990 (r2?) with AMD phenom X 6.

Also is there any other software I can load onto the usb that can repair the bootloader easily?
    That would be the ideal alternative. Thanks

TRUELOVE95, Jul 28, 2019
  4. Error Code 0xc0000185 when trying to boot off of USB windows creation tool

Windows defender offline error: EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD - 0xc0000185

Hi Dave,

Could you provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the make and model of your device?
    • Have you made any changes to the operating system prior to this issue?
    • Are you able to boot the device to desktop with this error message?

This issue might have occurred due to corruption in the boot files or BOIS unable to detect your drive to boot.

I suggest you to refer to the below thread, check if your issue matches with the same.

If so, try the troubleshooting steps suggested by -.[Final]#[Boss].- and check if
    it helps.

Error code after update File:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot BCD
    Error Code 0xc0000185 BSOD

Hope this information is helpful.

SujataMoktan, Jul 28, 2019
Thema:

Error Code 0xc0000185 when trying to boot off of USB windows creation tool

1. Error Code 0xc0000185 when trying to boot off of USB windows creation tool - Similar Threads - Error Code 0xc0000185

2. Error Code: 0xc0000185 Refuses to use recovery tools or access usb installation

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Error Code: 0xc0000185 Refuses to use recovery tools or access usb installation: Hello! I'm currently trying to help my sister restore her old Lenovo Ideapad laptop. It was acting slow and so i thought with a quick restart and reset of her laptop we should have been fine. However, we are now stuck in this loop of that the boot system not starting and this...
  3. Screen freezes when trying to boot from usb with windows media creation tool

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Screen freezes when trying to boot from usb with windows media creation tool: Hello, I recently built a brand new pc and tried to install windows 10 from a usb. I get to the boot menu and select the usb that I downloaded the windows media creation tool on and it freezes on a screen with windows logo and a few black and white lines at the bottom. I...
  4. Error code 0xc0000185

Error code 0xc0000185: I started witn system restore. It didnt work. Hence i went to reset my pc selecting keep my files. Iimstallation got stucj several times with this error[IMG] Then i pressed 3 times on and off. Then selected hp system recovery. Now it shows the error 0xc0000185 as below....
  5. Error code: 0xc0000185 Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Error code: 0xc0000185 Windows 10: Dear experts, When I switch on my desktop computer LG Windows 10, it went to a blue screen and stated that ------------------------------------- "Recovery Your PC/Device needs to be repaired A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed Error code:...
  6. Error code: 0xc0000185 Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Error code: 0xc0000185 Windows 10: Dear experts, When I switch on my desktop computer LG Windows 10, it went to a blue screen and stated that ------------------------------------- "Recovery Your PC/Device needs to be repaired A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed Error code:...
  7. Error code 0xc0000185

Error code 0xc0000185: I was using my computer in the morning, but in the afternoon I turned on and a blue screen popped up saying, error code: 0xc0000185 and something else about an installation media, so I downloaded window 10 on my USB, and follow the instructions to make my USB as a...
  8. Windows 10 Error Code 0xc0000185

Windows 10 Error Code 0xc0000185: My wifes computer will not boot past the HP logo screen. A blue screen comes up with error code: 0xc0000185. I have tried a hard reboot and it did not work. I tried to access the recovery environment but that leads me to the same blue screen and error code. Is this a problem...
  9. ERROR CODE 0xc0000185

ERROR CODE 0xc0000185: When trying to powen on my computer, an “Preparing automatic repair” appears and doesn’t let me login. A blue screen with some options are in the screen but when I try to press one, it restarts again and again. I don’t know what to do. Help :(...
  10. Error code:0xc0000185

Error code:0xc0000185: I have a laptop served for more than a year. I have been getting an error code at startup that prevents me from getting into Windows. It was when I shut down my computer and a process was preventing me from doing it, but I left it alone, and the computer was forced shut...
Tags: