Windows 10: error code 2000-0142 while updating the Windows

Discus and support error code 2000-0142 while updating the Windows in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I was trying to update the Windows version to the latest Windows 10 on my Dell laptop. While doing the process of the update, the system suddenly got... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by AronSalsa, Oct 22, 2018.

1. AronSalsa Win User

error code 2000-0142 while updating the Windows

I was trying to update the Windows version to the latest Windows 10 on my Dell laptop. While doing the process of the update, the system suddenly got crashed and it showed Dell error code 2000-0142 and the installation got interrupted. Now I am not able to update the Windows. What to do, please give me a solution to do this.

:)

AronSalsa, Oct 22, 2018

2. Error 2000-0142

Hi Vikram,

Thank you for posting in Community.

We understand your concern and we will provide the information required to help you resolve the issue.

Before we proceed, I would like you to provide the information stated below:

• Do you get any error message on the blank screen?
    • What is the make and model of your PC?

Error Code: 2000-0142 means that the hard drive has gone bad and requires a replacement. We cannot state for sure what might have caused the issue in hand.

However as you are unable to access the OS, I would suggest that you try logging into Safe Mode via Media Creation tool and check for drive errors. Follow the steps below to do so.

Step 1: Media Creation tool.

1. Download the Windows 10 ISO and create a Media Creation tool and then perform Startup Repair.

Refer to the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

(Refer to the section "Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool
    " in the above article for creating the tool).

2. Start your computer from the installation media. Insert the disk or USB stick and restart your computer. If you see a message asking you to “Press any key to boot from DVD,”
    do so. If you don’t see the message, you might need to change the boot order in your computer's BIOS settings so that it first starts from the disk or USB. When you see the
    'Install Windows' page, tap or click 'Repair your computer' link to start the
    Windows Recovery Environment.

3. Here click on Troubleshoot> Advance Options> Startup Settings. You will have to click on the
    Restart button, once done select the appropriate key to log into
    Safe Mode

Step 2: Check a drive for errors

You can solve some computer problems by checking a drive or drives for errors. For example, you can check your computer's primary hard disk to fix some performance issues, or you can check an external hard drive if it's not working properly.

• Open This PC.

• Right-click the drive that you want to check, and then click Properties.

• Click the Tools tab, and then, under Error-checking, click
      Check now. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

• To automatically repair problems with files and folders that the scan detects, select
      Automatically fix file system errors. Otherwise, the disk check will report problems but not fix them.

To perform a thorough check, select Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors. This scan attempts to find and repair physical errors on the drive itself, and it can take much longer to complete.

To check for both file errors and physical errors, select both Automatically fix file system errors and
      Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors.

• Click Start.

Depending on the size of your drive, this might take several minutes. For best results, don't use your computer for any other tasks while it is checking for errors.

Your reply is very important to ensure a proper resolution. Please get back to us with the above information to assist you accordingly.

Vanessa Sohtun, Oct 22, 2018
  3. Error 2000-0142

Hi,

I own a DELL laptop with Microsoft Windows 8.1 license that came with the purchase. I upgraded my OS from 8.1 to Windows 10 a long time ago. Recently when my laptop was updating, some error occured and the pc just hung up. I have read quite a few forums
    regarding 2000-0142 error and although it is a hardware error, a lot of people experienced it while their windows s/w was updating. I was quite surprised when i received the error because my hdd was performing quite normally before this strange error just
    showed up out of the blue. I know that one of the possible solution is to replace the hard drive but that's certainly not a feasible option for anyone, especially when you don't know the cause of the problem. I would really like to know what solution Microsoft
    has to offer. Also, I cannot access Windows OS at all. It just shows me blank screen and does nothing.

Also, I did not receive a Windows OS disk with the purchase. I am a little dull in this area so please help me understand what I have to do in order to get it.

I would really appreciate if I get a reply as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance

Vikram Ambre, Oct 22, 2018
  4. error code 2000-0142 while updating the Windows

Error Code 2000 - 0141

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft community.

I would require more information to help you better.

• What is the make and model of your computer?

• Do you remember making any changes to the system?

From the error code 2000 - 0141, it appears that, this problem may occur if the hard disk drive in the computer is damaged or corrupted.

If you have any external hard disk plugged into the system, I would suggest you to remove it from the system and then boot to the system and check whether the issue is resolved.

Reply with results and necessary information to help you further.

Pushyanth K S, Oct 22, 2018
Thema:

error code 2000-0142 while updating the Windows

1. error code 2000-0142 while updating the Windows - Similar Threads - error code 2000

2. Error code 0x800f081f while updating

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Error code 0x800f081f while updating: When the latest cumulative update is installed on windows 10, I get error 0x800f081f. And the update history shows the update is failed. The system also show feature update to windows 10 version 22H2 is available for download and install. That too does not work. What is the...
  3. Error code 0x800f081f while updating

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error code 0x800f081f while updating: When the latest cumulative update is installed on windows 10, I get error 0x800f081f. And the update history shows the update is failed. The system also show feature update to windows 10 version 22H2 is available for download and install. That too does not work. What is the...
  4. Error code 0x800f081f while updating

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Fix Memory Error Code 2000-0122, 2000-0123 or 2000-0251 on Windows computer

in Windows 10 News
    Fix Memory Error Code 2000-0122, 2000-0123 or 2000-0251 on Windows computer: [ATTACH]In previous posts, we have covered Windows-powered Dell computer-specific error codes/issues like Processor Fan Error Code 2000-0511, Hard Drive Error code 2000-0142 and 2000-0146, as well as ePSA (Enhanced Pre-Boot System Assessment) Error Code 2000-0415. In this...
  6. Fix Hard Drive Error code 2000-0142 on Windows computer

in Windows 10 News
    Fix Hard Drive Error code 2000-0142 on Windows computer: [ATTACH]If when you run a hard drive diagnostics test on your Dell Windows 11 or Windows 10 computer but receive the Error code 2000-0142, then this post is intended to help you. In this post, we will identify the most potential causes to this error, as well as offer the most...
  7. Fix Error Code 2000-0415 on Windows computers

in Windows 10 News
    Fix Error Code 2000-0415 on Windows computers: [ATTACH]When running the ePSA (Enhanced Pre-Boot System Assessment) diagnostics on your Windows 11 or Windows 10-powered Dell computer, you may receive the Error Code 2000-0415. In this post, we provide the most suitable solutions affected PC users can try to resolve the...
  8. Error CODE 0x80070643 while updating windows.

Error CODE 0x80070643 while updating windows.: Hey people,So I have been having this issue yesterday onwards, Whenever I click on the "check for updates" , It displays "There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for...
  9. error code 2000-0151

error code 2000-0151: Hello I have error code 2000-0151 From the information I got is that very serious How can I recover may information. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-code-2000-0151/c221e4cb-a576-4361-92ff-b8c0fa24920d
  10. Office 2000 error code while installing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Office 2000 error code while installing: I just installed office 2000 professional and got error code 1904 and 1919. I was making a check book and when i went to open it an add it inst there the same with word. what do i do to fix it...