Windows 10: Error code 80004001/can't run sfc/scannow

Discus and support Error code 80004001/can't run sfc/scannow in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; My computer has been randomly crashing with the blue error screen, I used to be able to force a re-start and it'd start back up fine. Now, though,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by LHancock, Mar 13, 2019.

1. LHancock Win User

Error code 80004001/can't run sfc/scannow

My computer has been randomly crashing with the blue error screen, I used to be able to force a re-start and it'd start back up fine. Now, though, after that screen it will give an error about "no bootable device." I can plug in a usb drive with the software on this link to get it out of the "no bootable device", and for a while it works fine. However, it's only a temporary fix, and the blue screen will eventually make its appearance again.

It seems to have been happening ever since my computer did a windows update.

Today I read about logging into admin command prompt, and using the code sfc/scannow to run a system scan, but both times I did that it got stuck at 76% - "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation."

I've tried to do a complete system wipe and Windows re-install using the media creation tool, but it doesn't seem to be able to run the complete program.

Any ideas how I can permanently fix the error?

Computer info:

Command prompt says system32, but under my computer it lists it's a 64-bit operating system. Processor AMD A9. Laptop model Acer Aspire 3, has 12 GB ram

:)

LHancock, Mar 13, 2019
  2. Kari Win User

sfc /scannow errors

Important thing to remember is that the SFC / SCANNOW cannot always fix all errors at once. It is quite often required to run SFC /SCANNOW several times.

I have often had a situation that only a third, fourth or fifth run has finally reported "No more errors".

This is how it should be done:

• SFC / SCANNOW
    • If SFC reports not all errors were fixed, reboot and run it again
    • SFC / SCANNOW
    • If SFC again reports not all errors were fixed, reboot and run it again
    • And so on
    Screenshot from the TenForums SFC tutorial:

Error code 80004001/can't run sfc/scannow [​IMG]

3. Steve C Win User
    SFC /SCANNOW Errors After Update

I've just updated a Windows 8.1 Pro PC to Windows 10 using the Techbench ISO which updated without any problems. However, I've just run sfc /scannow and it found errors it could not repair. I have managed to get sfc /scannow to run without errors - see what I did below:

1. Ran sfc /scannow which showed error "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them."
    2. Ran Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth which reported "The component store is repairable."
    3. Ran Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth which failed with Error: 0x800f081f "The source files could not be found.Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature."
    4. Mounted the W10 Techbench ISO and ran Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:wim:G:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess which reported successfully "The restore operation completed successfully."
    5. Ran sfc /scannow wich completed successfully with report "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them."

Please advise:
    1. Why would sfc /scannow fail on a newly updated installation which ran sfc /scannow error free immediately before the upgrade?
    2. Why did I have to use install.wim from the Techbench ISO at step 4 above for Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth to work and will I have to use install.wim from the Techbench ISO every time I need to run this Dism command?
    3. How can I configure my PC so it has the correct install.wim file for the Dism command to work properly?

Steve C, Mar 13, 2019
  4. Jan Del Win User

Digital Rights Update (Windows 10 Anniversary) Tool error 80004001

Hi, Manny.

The error code 80004001 is caused by misconfigured system files in your Windows Operating system. We suggest you run SFC scan and DISM that can repair any incorrect and damage files. Click this
    link for the steps.

Get back to us if you need further assistance.

Jan Del, Mar 13, 2019
Thema:

1. Error code 80004001/can't run sfc/scannow - Similar Threads - Error code 80004001

2. sfc /scannow error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    sfc /scannow error: I'm running sfc /scannow regularly, and i am getting back wierd results. It seems I have problem with one file, sfc /scannow either finds it corrupt, and repairs it, or does not find any problem at all. 2023-03-18 08:24:08, Info CSI 000001ff [SR] Repairing 1 components...
  3. sfc /scannow error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    sfc /scannow error: I'm running sfc /scannow regularly, and i am getting back wierd results. It seems I have problem with one file, sfc /scannow either finds it corrupt, and repairs it, or does not find any problem at all. 2023-03-18 08:24:08, Info CSI 000001ff [SR] Repairing 1 components...
  4. sfc\scannow was just run.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    sfc\scannow was just run.: i ran sfc /scannow after it say windows resource protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them for online Repairs details are included in the CBS log file located at windir\logs\CBS\CBS.logs. for example c:\windowns\logs\CBS.log for oflinerapirs details are...
  5. Can't run Sfc /scannow and Dism scan

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't run Sfc /scannow and Dism scan: When i run DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth or DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth, i will get a error like Error: 483 The request failed due to a fatal device hardware error. The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log. i searched google for...
  6. Cannot run SFC/scannow

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot run SFC/scannow: Dear all, Tried all sorts of remedies for above problem, nothing seems to work. Thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-run-sfcscannow/85432df1-6503-4753-bdd6-932c282071ca
  7. Error message when running sfc /scannow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Error message when running sfc /scannow: I get an error message when running scannow saying that some files are corrupt and could not be fixed. How do I fix them? My laptop seems to be in an unstable state. Thanks for your help...
  8. SFC /scannow - errors

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    SFC /scannow - errors: Hey all! I recently upgrade to Windows 10 2 weeks ago and for kicks I decided to run an SFC /scannow .. and It found a whole slew of errors! It's weird because I don't see anything wrong with the OS but I know there are according to the scanner. I ran it a few times,...
  9. Running sfc /scannow shows that there are errors

Running sfc /scannow shows that there are errors: Things are not going well for me. Multiple system issues are being reported in the Reliability Monitor although these are not obvious while using the OS. One of the things I have now tried is sfc /scannow from a command prompt in both normal and safe modes. It reports...
  10. SFC /SCANNOW Error

SFC /SCANNOW Error: When trying to run SFC /SCANNOW the following error is generated: C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service. Is this a knpown problem with solution? 20898
Tags: