Windows 10: Error: "Could not open source file"; strange file permission owner as owner

Discus and support Error: "Could not open source file"; strange file permission owner as owner in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I use backup software that copies my files to an external HD and saves them in their native format. I.e., it just copies them. Recently,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RichardOng21, Dec 21, 2019.

1. Error: "Could not open source file"; strange file permission owner as owner

Hello,

I use backup software that copies my files to an external HD and saves them in their native format. I.e., it just copies them.

Recently, the software reports some 125 failures with the information "Could not open source file error 5 - access is denied." The files are mostly my work product, namely, JPG, PDF, MP4, MRK, GIF, PNG. No system files.

I'm forced to "go get" my administrator priviliges to get read permissions to view the properties and when I do I see "permission entries" for these principals: SYSTEM, Administrators, and a strange "S-1-5-21-1233518494-4214042063-702540388-1000".

Do you have any idea why I'm suddenly getting this error and how I can fix this please?

Thank you.

Richard O.

:)

RichardOng21, Dec 21, 2019
  2. JoeWebb2 Win User

File Owner problems

Thanks for the response, but this did not seem to work. I selected the take ownership option on the file I wanted, but still ran into all the same problems. I am listed as the owner when I dive into the advanced options, but I still get the message that
    I don't have permission to open the file when I try to open it.

JoeWebb2, Dec 21, 2019
  3. you don't have permission to open this file contact the file owner or an administrator

Hi,

This could be due to one of the following reasons:

• You don’t have permission to access the file,
    • The file you are trying to access is corrupt,
    • If you are using any third party security software, it may be blocking the file.

In most of the cases, this issue occurs when the user doesn’t have sufficient permissions to access the file. So I would suggest you to take ownership of the file and then check if the issue persists. Refer to these steps:

• Right-click the program
      that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.
    • Click the Security tab, and then click OK
      on the Security message (if one appears).
    • Click Advanced, and then click change. Enter your password if prompted.
    • Type in your username and press
      enter.
    • If you want to take ownership of the contents of the folder, select
      the Replace owner on sub containers and objects check box.
    • Click OK and close all the windows.
    • Follow step a and b, click
      on advanced.
    • Under "permissions" tab, select your user account
      and click on "change permissions"
    • Check the "Replace all child object permission entries from this object." option and click
      Ok.
    • All permissions will be replaced if you click Yes.

Please get back to us with an update on this issue, we will be happy to help.

Thank you

Karthicka_R, Dec 21, 2019
  4. Skiff640 Win User

Error: "Could not open source file"; strange file permission owner as owner

Excel changes the owner of file during save

I just duplicated the problem with a brand new Excel file that had nothing to do with the old XP machine ...
    • Signed in as the original owner who is in the administrator group
    • Created a new Excel file in the same folder as above
    • Edited the file with Excel as the original owner ... saved
    • Checked ownership and permissions. Everything looks OK, including the inherited permissions from the folder
    • Signed off
    • Signed on as a second user who is not in the Administrator group
    • Edited the the file with Excel as the second user ... saved the file with changes
    • Signed off
    • Signed on as the original owner
    • Checked ownership and permissions. The ownership of the file has changed to the second user.

The original and second users are the exact same users described in the post above. Uggghhh ...

Clueless in Houston ...

Skiff640, Dec 21, 2019
Thema:

Error: "Could not open source file"; strange file permission owner as owner

1. Error: "Could not open source file"; strange file permission owner as owner - Similar Threads - Error open source

2. You do not have permission to open this files. see the owner of the file or an...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    You do not have permission to open this files. see the owner of the file or an...: I have these text documents that have yellow lock signs above them, these are my files that I created and yet I don't have access???Furthermore, in settings I can see that my profile is an administrator and i have changed the permissions of the file to give everyone access...
  3. You do not have permission to open this files. see the owner of the file or an...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    You do not have permission to open this files. see the owner of the file or an...: I have these text documents that have yellow lock signs above them, these are my files that I created and yet I don't have access???Furthermore, in settings I can see that my profile is an administrator and i have changed the permissions of the file to give everyone access...
  4. You do not have permission to open this files. see the owner of the file or an...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. you do not have permission to open this file. see the owner of the file or an administrator

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    you do not have permission to open this file. see the owner of the file or an administrator: This is in a usb drive, I saved 3 notepads into the usb before factory resetting my pc and now I cant open them, all the tutorials say do the security thing but it dosent work on my usb drive only my actual disk...
  6. you do not have permission to open this file. see the owner of the file or an administrator

in Windows 10 Gaming
    you do not have permission to open this file. see the owner of the file or an administrator: This is in a usb drive, I saved 3 notepads into the usb before factory resetting my pc and now I cant open them, all the tutorials say do the security thing but it dosent work on my usb drive only my actual disk...
  7. you do not have permission to open this file. see the owner of the file or an administrator

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. File owner changes

in Windows 10 Support
    File owner changes: I backup my files to a USB on another PC and the owner changes to a long string (S-1-5-21-2070691468-2192114673-407588093-1001) - what's going on??? 175144
  9. Owner Name, File Details

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Owner Name, File Details: I recently changed my User name from my email to my actual name so that my file locations were easier to interact with, that went well. However, I now notice that when I go to Properties and then Details of any file that the Owner name is Desktop\MyEmail so I then changed the...
  10. File access and permissions Owner, Administrator, Users etc.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    File access and permissions Owner, Administrator, Users etc.: Under a fille group named "Documents" I have folders like Bank/Old Credit Union, new bank/new Credit Union CULC I took a screen capture and wanted to cut/paste from where it is now (Desktop) and put it in the subfolder "new Credit Union" after notice ="you will have to...