Windows 10: Error decrypting a file or accessing an encrypted file

Discus and support Error decrypting a file or accessing an encrypted file in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; hello, I have a problem with some files on my PC, the files are encrypted with a windows certificate, few days ago I was able to open the file and... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by ASharkee, Nov 3, 2019.

1. ASharkee Win User

Error decrypting a file or accessing an encrypted file

hello,

I have a problem with some files on my PC, the files are encrypted with a windows certificate, few days ago I was able to open the file and access them, now I can not access those files. although I have the permission and the certificate is installed

Error decrypting a file or accessing an encrypted file 2e22289a-cb24-4ff6-9bbf-f7667aa45e24?upload=true.jpg

Error decrypting a file or accessing an encrypted file 14dd61c0-1474-4bf3-bf29-bce18621d1b6?upload=true.jpg

:)

ASharkee, Nov 3, 2019

2. Help accessing encrypted files (Error: 0x80071771: The specified file could not be decrypted)

Hi DesignerJo0314,

EFS or Encrypting File System on Windows is designed to protect your confidential data from threats or attackers that have access to your computer. Once a file is encrypted, a recovery key or certificate is required to access
    it on a different device. This means that the file can only be accessed on the same machine and same user account it was encrypted to.

Here are the ways on how to access the encrypted file on a different computer or user profile:

1. Decrypt the file before moving it to the new computer. You can encrypt the file to the new user profile once the transfer is complete.
    2. Move the encrypted file to the new computer including the certificate or key.

Apparently, the only way to access the encrypted file on your new computer is to have the certificate or key. If you still have the old laptop, you can try to connect the hard drive to your new computer and decrypt the file.

Feel free to post back if you have other questions.

Devlin Sco, Nov 3, 2019
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Error: Error: 0x80071771, The Specified File Could Not Be Decrypted when accessing an Encrypted file

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are unable to access the files that you have encrypted and you receive an error while decrypting the files.

I suggest you to refer the suggestions provided by Shafeeq_Khan in the thread

Error: 0x80071771, The Specified File Could Not Be Decrypted
    replied on April 14, 2019 and see if that helps in resolving the issue.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Nov 3, 2019
  4. Error decrypting a file or accessing an encrypted file

encrypted files

Hi Iman,

Error message 0x80071771 means that you need to restore the file encryption key in order for you to decrypt the encrypted files. On the other hand, you can still try these steps and see if it will work:

• Right-click the file or folder that you want to decrypt.
    • Click File ownership and click Personal.

Feel free to contact us if you need assistance with Windows.

Dennis Mop, Nov 3, 2019
Thema:

Error decrypting a file or accessing an encrypted file

1. Error decrypting a file or accessing an encrypted file - Similar Threads - Error decrypting file

2. Decrypt files encrypted with Bitlocker with key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Decrypt files encrypted with Bitlocker with key: Good afternoon!I have a problem, I have a backup folder in an external disk, from a drive in my computer with Windows 11 and bitlocker are activated, I made a restoration of my computer and now I can´t access to these files, I have the keys of bitlocker, but I don´t know...
  3. Decrypt files encrypted with Bitlocker with key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Decrypt files encrypted with Bitlocker with key: Good afternoon!I have a problem, I have a backup folder in an external disk, from a drive in my computer with Windows 11 and bitlocker are activated, I made a restoration of my computer and now I can´t access to these files, I have the keys of bitlocker, but I don´t know...
  4. Decrypting\Regaining access to encrypted files from old PC?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Decrypting\Regaining access to encrypted files from old PC?: Hi,I have some files from my old PC on my secondary HDD that are encrypted by Windows 10. I formatted my primary SSD and my secondary HDD moved to another PC. Now I lost access to those files. Is there any way of regaining access to them or decrypting them?...
  5. Decrypting\Regaining access to encrypted files from old PC?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Decrypting\Regaining access to encrypted files from old PC?: Hi,I have some files from my old PC on my secondary HDD that are encrypted by Windows 10. I formatted my primary SSD and my secondary HDD moved to another PC. Now I lost access to those files. Is there any way of regaining access to them or decrypting them?...
  6. Decrypting\Regaining access to encrypted files from old PC?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Decryption of an encrypted file without certificate.

Decryption of an encrypted file without certificate.: I wanted to format my device since it was a lagging and I was lazy to clean off all the apps, so I simply formatted it and updated it to the new windows 21H1. I was previously on 20H2, and I had some compressed files, which I added a password to encrypted and before...
  8. File Encryption and Decryption Problem

File Encryption and Decryption Problem: So recently, i faced issues with my windows laptop, i decided to do a complete backup of all my files and then reset the laptop. My laptop had encrypted most of the files which i only realised after having reset everything. Now, i cant grant ownershipt of the files nor modify...
  9. Regarding encryption and decryption of my files

Regarding encryption and decryption of my files: I have actually encrypted few files in my old windows 10 pc and unknowingly i have deleted its certificatekey but i had my onedrive account in that old pc while encrypting and i can't decrypt the files in my new PC Is there any possible way to decrypt my files please it...
  10. How Decrypt, Encrypt file?

How Decrypt, Encrypt file?: I saved my Photos in D:Drive. And Encrypt same personal photos by this way{Choose a photo->Right click on it->then properties->Advances option in General->Then choose "Encrypt file to secure data"}. But now I can't open my encrypted photos. And can't Decrypt it. So Please...