Windows 10: Error during cloning process of an external HDD

Discus and support Error during cloning process of an external HDD in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Not 100% Win10-related, but it's the operating system, couldn't find a reddit targetting this specific issue so I decided to ask here. I have an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/LaNoir_aka_Blacky, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Error during cloning process of an external HDD

Not 100% Win10-related, but it's the operating system, couldn't find a reddit targetting this specific issue so I decided to ask here.

I have an external drive that stores all my data, but it's pretty old and not very big, so I wanted to clone it on a brand new HDD to make sure I won't lose any data and have enough free space in the future.
    I wanted to do this for a long time, but until recently, I still had Windows 7 that gave me some trouble. Programs for cloning didn't work because "some file paths are too long to copy" (I tried to rename or delete them, but Win7 didn't even want to do that lol). So my only workaround was copying folders one by one, but that ofc changed the date of all those files inside. So I only used it for a backup save copy and kept the drive with the correct dates running.

Back to now: Running Win10, got myself Macrium Reflect, plugged in new 4TB HDD(NTFS). It was immediately recognised, so I started the cloning process and directly got an error. After that, I needed to reformat my new HDD because it wasn't listed with a letter anymore even tho the program didn't even start the cloning process. :/ It also got split into 2 partitions of 2tb each, fixed that too (just mentioning, in case the full size is the problem here).

I tried it again, and this time it started the process without an error. However, after 12% cloning process, it gave me a new error (it's always super vague, first was "clone failed error 0", second one was sth like "an error occured", not much help from the program's side...). Same sh*t again, HDD not listed anymore, had to reformat, now I am doing the 3rd try but my hopes aren't very high. It takes around 40 minutes for 10%, so failing and starting again hurts a lot.

I troubleshooted some time with google but all I found was "might be the cable, chkdsk for errors(none), cLEaN iT (• ◡•), disable Antivir(didn't help, also it starts, it just doesn't finish the process)".

I know it's hard to tell what could be the problem from a distance, but if anyone went through the same process and knows what could help, I'd be very grateful. Idc if I have to do the copy-process piece-by-piece to make sure nothing interrupts it, it's just important to me to keep the original file dates (I know it's only "last time changed" and not "created", but some of those files are permanently wip, so I need both for sorting)

EDIT: While writing this it failed again at exactly 12% - coincidence? Error this time is "Clone failed - Error 9". In the second it happened, Win10 also gave me the message that the new HDD (letter DError during cloning process of an external HDD :) just got connected (and needs to get formatted again -_-"). But that it happened at exactly the same % makes me wonder if it's really a connection problem (using the cable it was delivered with, all brand new, pc too, had it on USB 3.0 at the front first, now on the back, both failed, other HDD works fine) or if I got that message because it got corrupted again and can't be read in it's current state until reformatting ʷʰʸ ᶦˢ ᵗᵉᶜʰⁿᶦᶜ ˢᵒ ᶜᵒᵐᵖˡᶦᶜᵃᵗᵉᵈ

submitted by /u/LaNoir_aka_Blacky
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/LaNoir_aka_Blacky, Jul 13, 2020

2. Cloning an external HDD

Hello Sumit, Thanks for your reply.

Right now I have my HDD only as external connected as USB

Can I clone it directly on other PC and still be able to recover

Some software I installed? Also if you say not to clone the C partiría you mean the OS part?

Thanks.

Alfredo Carranco, Jul 13, 2020
  3. Cloning an external HDD

Hello community,

I just bought a new laptop and I was wondering if I clone my old laptop HDD (right now I am using that as external HDD) connected to my new PC. My idea is to clone this old HDD into my new laptop so I can use all my data and installed software, is that possible?

Thanks for your help.

PS. Both are with windows 10, my old laptop was HP and now I got Asus.

Moved from: [Windows / Windows 10 / Windows update, recovery, & backup]

Alfredo Carranco, Jul 13, 2020
  4. Error during cloning process of an external HDD

Will Windows 10 with a 1TB HDD work alright with a External SATA HDD cloned drive?

Hi, I'm about to get an External HDD"flat docking station"with an USB 3.0 to clone from my internal HDD. Will it make a difference which drive I use with Windows 10? Also, I'll be cloning this drive from a 1TB drive that only has 130GB on it that's 50%
    fragmented (after I use the defagger) The HDD drive I'll be cloning to is also 1TB, will the fragmented files from the internal HDD show up on the cloned drive? I hope that's not a "dull" question.

deerpark243, Jul 13, 2020
Thema:

Error during cloning process of an external HDD

1. Error during cloning process of an external HDD - Similar Threads - Error during cloning

2. Error after clone my HDD to SSD?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Error after clone my HDD to SSD?: Hi, I clone/transfer my HDD to SSD. I want to boot from SSD but I get error https://i.ibb.co/Zf1C3TQ/IMG-20210304-160641.jpg How to solve this problem? Still my HDD running fine. submitted by /u/Lacter51 [link] [comments]...
  3. Software for clone HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Software for clone HDD: Windows version 1909 (build 18363 1256) Good morning I am looking for software that can clone my HDD to USB external HDD. (I see there is a lot of them) but I need one that if my laptop HDD crash, I can just put the USB external HDD in and Clone it back to the laptop HDD....
  4. HDD to SSD clone.

HDD to SSD clone.: Want to transfer my whole operating system along with the data from a HDD to a SSD but don't know how to do it. Help needed. SSD not yet bought so suggestion on what company to buy from are welcome. Currently using western digital wd10spzx-60z10t0 1TB. Let me know if more...
  5. Windows 10 clone SSD to external HDD

Windows 10 clone SSD to external HDD: Hey folks Have cloned my Windows 10 OS from an internal SSD to a USB HDD using Macrium Reflect Free. Cloning from GPT to GPT. On boot, I get a BSOD with "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE". Have loaded up the recovery command prompt and Diskpart shows 4 volume total. One labelled...
  6. Cloning hdd ?

Cloning hdd ?: Hello I just bought a 3tb hdd and I want to move/ copy all my games from one hdd to another. So the question is is it possible to transfer just games to new hdd without re-downloading all the games. Also I plan on wiping old hdd clean for to use as another storage device on...
  7. Cloning a hdd to ssd

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cloning a hdd to ssd: 1t to 250 gig ssd using MiniTool Partition Free. Very little on the hdd and I never even fill up a 128g ssd !! Anything I have to be aware of ? Thanks 143870
  8. cloning a HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    cloning a HDD: I have tried the following cloning software (aomei, Marium Reflect 7; MiniTool; Easeus TODO; clonezilla. they all have one thing in common, they don't produce a bootable/recogizable drive. Any ideas on how i can resolve the replacement of my laptop HDD? Cheers/Thanks...
  9. HDD Cloning issues

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HDD Cloning issues: Hello, I have tried to "clone" a laptop, UEFI/GPT, HDD using Macrium and AOMEI Partition Assistant and it seems to work fine, but the resulting "clones" are not bootable. Am I missing something? Thanks, Jim 44246
  10. Clone HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clone HDD to SSD: Most regulars here recommend and use Macrium Reflect Free which will work on ANY drive. 93058