Windows 10: Error: Explorer.exe This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this...

Discus and support Error: Explorer.exe This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; When I use Win+E or click on the Explorer icon in the task bar, I get a message saying "Explorer.exe This file does not have an app associated with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by The Doctor T, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Error: Explorer.exe This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this...

When I use Win+E or click on the Explorer icon in the task bar, I get a message saying "Explorer.exe This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. Please install an app or, if one is already installed, create an association in te Default Apps Settings page"

I have tried to do this but the instructins don't seem to make sense.

Explorer its self seems to work OK from going through right click on the One Drive icon and show folder, or in Office programs etc, just not from taskbar or Win+E.

Help ratefully recieved please.

***Modified title from: Windows Explorer doesn't work from Win+E or Taskbar***

:)

The Doctor T, Feb 28, 2020

2. " This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action." Error in Windows 10.

Hi MichielO,

What changes were made in the system using Tuneup Utilities?

Try:

Open Folder Options (via control panel), set file explorer open to "This PC".

If that doesn't help, one of the steps listed in the article might help.

File Explorer Pinned Taskbar Shortcut File Association Error In Windows 8 And 10

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/file-explorer-pinned-taskbar-shortcut-association-error/

Ramesh Srinivasan, Feb 28, 2020
  3. When clicking the files getting error that the file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action.

Hello,

I understand that when you try to open the file, you are prompted that the files does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. We will certainly help you.

• What file are you trying to open?
    This issue is caused if the file is not associated with any of the application or program to open it.

If those files are the pictures as I can see that you are trying to access the picture folder. I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if the issue resolves.

• Right click on the file and select Open with.
    • Select Photo App or Photo Gallery.
    • Double click and check if you are able to open that file.
    Keep us posted if the issue is resolved. We are glad to help you.

Sachin Venkatesh, Feb 28, 2020
  4. Error: Explorer.exe This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this...

Problem with Associate files

Hi DavidCamilleri1

Greetings! I am Vijay, an Independent Advisor.

1. Open Notepad > File > Save As > Put a name in File Name: box with extension .exe (example - temp.exe) and change Save As type: to all files and OK

2. Now right click on the file whose association do you want to change or remove > Open with > Choose another app > More apps > Look for another app on this PC > Choose the .exe file of step 1 > OK

Now delete the .exe file of step 1.

This will cause the association to be broken.

Now you can set the association again with Open With

Credit - DaveM121

Do let me know if you have any more question or require further help.

Vijay_Verma, Feb 28, 2020
Thema:

Error: Explorer.exe This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this...

1. Error: Explorer.exe This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this... - Similar Threads - Error Explorer exe

2. this file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action error.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    this file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action error.: I'm getting a message that says "this file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. Please install an app or, if one is already installed create an association in the Default Apps Setting page" everytime I insert an USB drive, Kindle via USB and so...
  3. this file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action error.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    this file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action error.: I'm getting a message that says "this file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. Please install an app or, if one is already installed create an association in the Default Apps Setting page" everytime I insert an USB drive, Kindle via USB and so...
  4. This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action

in Windows 10 Gaming
    This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action: Very recently and very suddenly, whenever I try to play Sims 4 bought through Steam I get this error message - This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. Please install an app or, if one is already installed, create an association in the...
  5. This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action

This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action: Very recently and very suddenly, whenever I try to play Sims 4 bought through Steam I get this error message - This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. Please install an app or, if one is already installed, create an association in the...
  6. This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action.

This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action.: This problem started after I formatted my backup drive and set it up for automatic backups again for a fresh backup. The error message does not show a file name just a drive letter and it happens with 2 different drives. The message keeps popping up while I am working on...
  7. This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action.: This problem started after I formatted my backup drive and set it up for automatic backups again for a fresh backup. The error message does not show a file name just a drive letter and it happens with 2 different drives. The message keeps popping up while I am working on...
  8. "this file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "this file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action": Every time i attempt to download a specific file.dll it says I have no associated app to install the .dll file. I dont know how to fix this, as i have multiple unzip apps, and none of the aps on this pc have the option in app defaults to unzip/install a .dll file. Can anyone...
  9. "this file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action"

"this file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action": Every time i attempt to download a specific file.dll it says I have no associated app to install the .dll file. I dont know how to fix this, as i have multiple unzip apps, and none of the aps on this pc have the option in app defaults to unzip/install a .dll file. Can anyone...
  10. this file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action/

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    this file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action/: i started to get this result after windows update went wrong and failed half way through "this file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action" amongst many other error replys. i cannot start any windows system files device man, disk management,...