Windows 10: Error in hosts file

Discus and support Error in hosts file in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I modified my hosts file to block some websites for a while and now I cannot revert it back to the defaults. And now I am not able to connect to the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/abjbreal, Aug 24, 2020.

1. Error in hosts file

I modified my hosts file to block some websites for a while and now I cannot revert it back to the defaults.

And now I am not able to connect to the internet at all.

An error shows up that it is being used by some other process. I found out the process is DNS server.

Please help me out of this.

submitted by /u/abjbreal
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/abjbreal, Aug 24, 2020

2. Hosts file editing

I have to jump in and say I use, and have used the host file for years. It's an easy way to take stress off of old name servers. I don't add everything, but major shares I do add to the host file. I've used the host file for some tunneling as well. I try to optimize my network as much as possible and I have a solid network. But Easy Rhino is right as well, you'll want to have everything he suggested as well. *Toast :toast:

Mindweaver, Aug 24, 2020
  3. Browser /connection security, hosts file and DNS service

You're saying that Open DNS(and other services like it) house their own list of known 'bad' sites, and by using their DNS servers, it will filter out sites based on that list?

Would you believe I was already using Open DNS servers.
    This means the hosts file is moot?

And furthering that, if there's any bespoke sites I want to manually add, I could do it through my router directly.

Thus I can empty my local hosts file and turn my DNS service back on?

newconroer, Aug 24, 2020
  4. Pavan_N Win User

Error in hosts file

Hotspot not working error HOSTED NETWORK SUPPORT:NO

Hi Phani,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and frustration you have been through. I will be glad to assist you.

I appreciate the troubleshooting steps you have tried to resolve the issue.

• What is the make and model of your computer?

I suggest you to refer the link below suggested by JayCap on November 19, 2015
    and perform the troubleshooting steps suggested and check if that helps.

Hosted Network Supported: No after upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thanks

Pavan_N, Aug 24, 2020
Thema:

Error in hosts file

1. Error in hosts file - Similar Threads - Error hosts file

2. host file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    host file: hi there i am trying to edit or add line in host file, long time ago since i did it and when i did there was lot of lines in there, i tried or looked last night could not see anything except this am i missing something please can somebody help and advise me please...
  3. host file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    host file: hi there i am trying to edit or add line in host file, long time ago since i did it and when i did there was lot of lines in there, i tried or looked last night could not see anything except this am i missing something please can somebody help and advise me please...
  4. Host File

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Host File: Im trying to block toxic sites that i just unheathly go to, by setting this up of what i found of a way to block, and then i was going to turn me to standard and have my friend be admin but for someone reason it still saids i dont have permission. what am i doing wrong iv...
  5. File Picker UI Host error

in Windows 10 Support
    File Picker UI Host error: The "File Picker UI Host" error has been around for a few years. I have seen it pop up when trying to insert files (usually photos) into a document or a mail message. Does anyone have a clue how to fix this? Windows 10 64 bit Home version 2004 (OS Build 19041.867) 176023
  6. Hosts file

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hosts file: Greetings, I have my hosts file that’s corrupted and can’t open with notepad and tried to give permission but there’s nothing to add or grant it’s empty I tired to use a software to unlock it and says cannot find path windows/system32/drivers/etc I’ve tried to boot in safe...
  7. Vanilla hosts file ( hosts file not working )

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Vanilla hosts file ( hosts file not working ): Hi I keep getting this symptom from time to time , it fixes with windows updates but then occasionally come back . I have a list of advertising and malware websites that I filter through hosts file that are often used by a chat client as per the chat client community...
  8. Hosts file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hosts file: How can I reset the Hosts file back to the default? pls Is This good? 30362
  9. Hosts file

in Windows 10 Support
    Hosts file: should the Hosts file be made read only ? 51243
  10. Hosts file

in Windows 10 Support
    Hosts file: I am embarrassed that I forgot on change from Windows 7 to 10 I forgot until now to remember that only the sample Hosts file was installed. Now I cannot recall where the more comprehensive version came from or how to install it. Please advise me. 97081