Windows 10: Error logging in at every reboot - two machines now

Discus and support Error logging in at every reboot - two machines now in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Every time I start my computers, the first screen I see is the Windows login screen displaying my name and a message saying "User name or password is... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by EdB, Oct 24, 2017.

1. EDB
    EdB Win User

Error logging in at every reboot - two machines now

Every time I start my computers, the first screen I see is the Windows login screen displaying my name and a message saying "User name or password is incorrect. Try again." See the first picture, below. This is automatic, I have no chance to enter anything before this screen appears.

Press Return and I get a screen with two options, the same one that had the error message above, and another showing my MSFT login eMail. See second picture, below.

What appears to be the default login, the one shown in pic 1 and the lower left of pic 2, never works. I never set it up and have no password for it. The only way I can log in is to wait for screen 2, then use my standard MSFT account eMail and password.

This began on my laptop and has now, mysteriously, spread to my desktop. Both are running Windows 10 Fall Creators update though the problem has been around for months.

Ideally, I'd either have NO login required, or at least have the systems default to my MSFT login ID/password and not go through two screens every time I want to sign on.

Any idea how I can get out of this?

Thanks,
    Ed B

Error logging in at every reboot - two machines now [​IMG]

Error screen 1.

Error screen 2.

:)

2. XSteffenX Win User

Windows 10 Anniversary (1607) install from ISO completes WITHOUT error - but after reboot the old 1511 build is starting?

Hi Microsoft support team,

I installed Windows 10 anniversary (1607) on 3 machines. 1 suceeded - 2 not.

Problem statement:

Windows 10 Anniversary (1607) install from ISO completes WITHOUT error - but after reboot the old 1511 build is starting. Installing 1607 again. Install completes with no errors. But machine is rebooting again to 1511 after 100% of 1607 installation is complete
    WITHOUT errors... even in event log.

It happend on two of three totally different machines.

What is causing this issue? How to solve it?

Thanks for support,

Steffen

XSteffenX, Oct 24, 2017
  3. Assigned Access - Error Code 0x80004005

Hi all,

I have a few systems running apps in assigned access mode. All three machines are basically configured identically and are running the same app/app version.

On one of the systems I am getting this error every few days:

It is fixed with a simple reboot, but occurs again at random.

I have a scheduled task rebooting the machines automatically every two days. I have tried looking at the app logs and can't find anything that tells any kind of story.

Windows updates are disabled because with this type of application we must update manually once testing has been done with new updates.

What can cause this error with an app running in assigned access?

bpinnington, Oct 24, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Ed, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

It sounds like you have set up netplwiz to automatically sign in to your account at startup. This issue usually happens if either the password was entered incorrectly while setting up netplwiz, or you changed your password and didn't update netplwiz. It seems like you changed your password though since both PCs are affected.

You can setup netplwiz again on both PCs to update the password to have it automatically sign you at startup again. Another option is to check the box, to no longer be signed in automatically at startup.

*Arrow Sign in User Account Automatically at Windows 10 Startup User Accounts Tutorials

Brink, Oct 24, 2017
  5. EDB
    EdB Win User
    Thanks for the reply, Brink. I tried what you suggested.

The laptop now shows a pre-screen but without the error message. I still have to hit Enter to get to the password screen, but I don't have to select from multiple logins, just type in the password. I can live with that on the laptop, probably a good idea anyway.

The desktop, which only developed this problem recently, is more problematic. I can get it to duplicate what the laptop is doing, but there's no way to get it to log in directly without a password that I can find. If I uncheck the password required box in netplwiz, I'm right back in the situation I was when I started.

Both computers show duplicate iterations of my eMail address. I assume the one with the tiny globe icon is the MSFT user password and the other seems to show a monitor which I assume is local. It's the local one that either has no password or I've forgotten.

I'd still like the desktop to just start, no login required.

Thanks,
    Ed B

6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    If it you have an email address for your account, then it's a Microsoft account that does indeed have a password. You'll need to know the password to be able to properly setup netplwiz on your desktop.

It sounds like the laptop is working as it should now. The first screen you press Enter on is the lock screen, and the screen after is your Sign-in screen.

Brink, Oct 24, 2017
  7. EDB
    EdB Win User
    Thanks for the reply. Yes, the laptop is working in a way I can accept, but I still don't understand why there are two logins for it.

More problematic however is the desktop. I'd just as soon have no password for that machine but there seems no way to do that. If I uncheck the "password required" box I'm back in the same situation: two login IDs, one with a password I never assigned, the other my MSFT account, which does work but requires all the extra steps.

8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Ed,

When you uncheck the box in netplwiz, be sure that you enter the correct password for the account you want to be automatically signed in to at startup.

If you are sure you did, then check to make sure that you have Use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up my device after an update or restart turned off. This has been reported to cause this issue for some.

:arrrow: Use sign-in info to auto finish after Update or Restart in Windows 10 User Accounts Tutorials

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Error logging in at every reboot - two machines now - Similar Threads - Error logging every

2. two machines same account.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    two machines same account.: two machines same account.one machine win11 MS365.other machine win8.1it seems that my 8.1 machine got clobbered when installing and modifying the win11 machine. i am not interested in keeping these machines synced.my 8.1 machine lost the login i was using although I can...
  3. System DLL error on every log in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System DLL error on every log in: Every time I log in on my Microsoft Surface Pro 6, I see the following error:It says, "You are attempting to open a file of type 'System File' .dll".The "OK" button is greyed out, and there is no way to find out what DLL file is being requested, or by what program. If I touch...
  4. System DLL error on every log in

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System DLL error on every log in: Every time I log in on my Microsoft Surface Pro 6, I see the following error:It says, "You are attempting to open a file of type 'System File' .dll".The "OK" button is greyed out, and there is no way to find out what DLL file is being requested, or by what program. If I touch...
  5. System DLL error on every log in

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Log on with machine password

in Windows 10 Customization
    Log on with machine password: I am having trouble synching with Windows/Microsoft. But when I try to sign in to my account it accepts my email and PW, but then it asks for the machine PW and I have no idea what that is. Any help?...
  7. System DLL error on every log in.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System DLL error on every log in.: Every time I log in on my Microsoft Surface Pro 6, I see the following error: [IMG] It says, "You are attempting to open a file of type 'System File' .dll". The "OK" button is greyed out, and there is no way to find out what DLL file is being requested, or by what...
  8. An Asus App has a message every time I reboot the machine

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    An Asus App has a message every time I reboot the machine: Every time I reboot the machine or shut down it and turn on, it shows a message that I need to wait. I have waited for a long time but nothing happen. Can someone help me? Thank you for your support![IMG]...
  9. Windows 10 machine creating restore points and rebooting every day

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 machine creating restore points and rebooting every day: I have a Win10 desktop that is rebooting itself every day. When I look at System Restore I see that it's creating restore points every 24 hours or so. The restore point Descriptions all say "Windows Modules Installer" and the Type all say "Install". This has been happening...
  10. Two Errors on ReBoot

in Windows 10 Support
    Two Errors on ReBoot: I'm Back again? I have been getting these two errors on Reboot one after the Other and it may have something to do with my Last Windows "Restore" that Failed a few weeks ago? I have the screen shots that will give you a Clue *Sad I have no Idea Regards 101491

Users found this page by searching for:

1. как изменить обои экрана блокировки в windows 10 сайт:support.microsoft.com