Windows 10: Error Message: Failed to validate the product key

Discus and support Error Message: Failed to validate the product key in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have been trying to recover my girlfriend's Toshiba Satellite notebook computer. This computer came with Windows 7 Home Premium pre-installed and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by GeorgeB2B, Sep 4, 2018.

1. GeorgeB2B Win User

Error Message: Failed to validate the product key

I have been trying to recover my girlfriend's Toshiba Satellite notebook computer. This computer came with Windows 7 Home Premium pre-installed and several years ago, when Win 10 was offered for free, I successfully installed Windows 10 on this machine. Recently, the computer apparently had a virus so I backed up her data files to thumb-drives and began to restore the notebook back to factory defaults which is Windows 7 Home Premium. On this now clean machine, I have applied all updates for Windows 7. Next, I then attempted to reinstall Win 10. I downloaded the media creation tool from Microsoft, grabbed a copy of the Win 10 distribution to a SD chip, and attempted to install. Every time I attempted to install, I get the "Failed to validate the product key" error message. I am never prompted to enter a product key. I would expect my digital entitlement for this installation to be accepted but apparently it is not.

I have tried various combinations of media, I have reformatted and reloaded the Win 7 OS twice. I event tried running "setup.exe" from a cmd prompt and specify the WIn 7 Product Key only to get the same error. I have read various posts of others with similar but not the exact same problem and I could not find anything of help.

Does anyone have a clue as to what I can do?

Thanks,
    George

:)

GeorgeB2B, Sep 4, 2018
  2. GeorgeB2B Win User

I had already tried most of the suggestions on

https://www.kapilarya.com/fix-windows-10-setup-...

None of them worked.

Thanks for the help.

George

GeorgeB2B, Sep 6, 2018
  3. wtanx Win User
    Update fails to validate product key error

I have Windows 10 Pro with a product key, not the free upgrade. Currently, my machine has v.1703 installed. When I try to update to the fall creators update, the installation stops at the message "update failed to validate product key". This has failed
    when windows update tried and when I have tried using the media creation tool.

I have run update troubleshooter with no effect.

wtanx, Sep 6, 2018
  4. Error Message: Failed to validate the product key

Hello,

See if this fix helps you:

https://www.kapilarya.com/fix-windows-10-setup-...

Let us know if this helps!

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised
    on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Kapil Arya [Directly], Sep 6, 2018
Thema:

1. Error Message: Failed to validate the product key - Similar Threads - Error Message Failed

2. Windows 10 Setup error message. Setup has failed to validate the product key.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Setup error message. Setup has failed to validate the product key.: I'm trying to upgrade my desktop from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and I keep getting this error message. Setup has failed to validate the product key....
  3. Windows 10 Setup error message. Setup has failed to validate the product key.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Setup error message. Setup has failed to validate the product key.: I'm trying to upgrade my desktop from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and I keep getting this error message. Setup has failed to validate the product key....
  4. Windows 10 Setup error message. Setup has failed to validate the product key.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Product key Validation

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Product key Validation: Have had this PC for ages & all of a sudden after turning on today a msg appears in the bottom right corner "This copy of windows is not genuine",Windows7 build 7601. In the System prop where your product Key is Activate Windows. The problem is why after using this PC...
  6. Setup has failed to validate the product key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Setup has failed to validate the product key: how to fix this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/setup-has-failed-to-validate-the-product-key/a8aecc05-6bcd-4cec-83eb-d67816fa959b"
  7. product key valid?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    product key valid?: f I purchase Windows 7 how long is the product key valid? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/product-key-valid/8fab35f1-2e59-4602-b007-b12c0799488f"
  8. Windows 10 setup failed to validate product key.

Windows 10 setup failed to validate product key.: Ive been trying to upgrade my computer to Windows 10 from windows 7 32bit, i have license and a product key. i followed the instructions came with the email to install the software, but it only went through until setting up windows 10, then it gives me a notification that the...
  9. Setup failed to validate the product key

Setup failed to validate the product key: I am trying to upgrade windows 7 premium to windows 10. when I run setup I get the message: Setup failed to validate the product key. I have run the troubleshooter and get the following error message: windows update error 0x800F081 any help greatly appreciated......
  10. Failed to validate product key problem strikes again

Failed to validate product key problem strikes again: Hello I have done many Win 10 upgrades without any problems but my current problem has taken 2 days out of my life!! without a solution. Here is the situation. I created a USB media drive using the Media Creation tool and have used it this week to successfully upgrade Win...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows has failed to validate product key windows 7 to windows 10

2. Windows 10 setup has failed to validate the product key

3. Samsung failed to validate the prodct key message