Windows 10: Error message trying to change user file location

Discus and support Error message trying to change user file location in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Windows is loaded on my C: drive, and my files are stored on a different drive D: because there isn't enough room on C:. I am trying to move my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by LW02, Jan 19, 2020.

1. LW02 Win User

Error message trying to change user file location

Windows is loaded on my C: drive, and my files are stored on a different drive D: because there isn't enough room on C:.

I am trying to move my documents, download, music, pictures, etc. folders to the same folders that I have set up on the D: drive.

I am right clicking on the user folder Documents, for example on the C: drive

Properties

Location tab

Move

I selected the new location on the D: drive and clicked Select Folder

When I click OK, I get the message box,

"Do you want to move all of the files from the old location to the new location?" and I can click Yes, No, or Cancel.

If I select either Yes or No, I get an error message that says,

"Can't move the folder because there is a folder in the same location that can't be redirected. Access is denied."

The folder on the C: drive is empty and I have confirmed no hidden files so this shouldn't be the case.

Any tips on fixing this?

Thanks.

:)

2. Nicrite Win User

Vista Ultimate - 'User' Folder Location

No tried that.

Can copy the entire folder to D; but Windows still points to C as the location. Can change personal folders location to a folder on D;, but this still leaves hidden files etc on C;. Thus meaning there are 2 Users folders. Have managed to change the Public folder location to D;, with some registry tweaks, but this doesnt seem to work for the entire folder.

any more suggestions

Nicrite, Jan 19, 2020
  3. How to change location of MSI????.tmp file

Hi,

You may change the location of the .tmp file by following the steps provided below:

• Go to This PC.
    • Right-click This PC, and then select Advanced System Setting.
    • Click Environment Variables.
    • Under system variable, double-click tmp and change the path for the file of your reference.

If the location still can't be changed, we suggest that you post it on our
    MSDN forum
    . We have highly technical users and IT professionals there that can address your concern.

Feel free to contact us if you have other concerns.

Dennis Mop, Jan 19, 2020
  4. Kem Mon Win User

This PC locations error message

Hi Billy,

To isolate this matter, we have some questions for you:

• Are you trying to access/open a files/folder?

• Were there any changes made before the occurred?

• Does this error message occur when opening other files/folders?

• What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

We'll be waiting for your response.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Jan 19, 2020
Thema:

1. Error message trying to change user file location - Similar Threads - Error message trying

2. Default Location--error message, location not recognized.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default Location--error message, location not recognized.: I've an end unit townhouse. When I try to type in my home address, the correct address comes up in the list based on the house number, but I get the error message: "location not recognized, select another location." When I look at the map, my neighboring townhouses are all...
  3. How to change the location of "Program Files" and "Users" folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change the location of "Program Files" and "Users" folder: Hello everyone, my device win 11, I have a little problem, I have moved the user folder and program files from Drive :C, to Drive :D. well, I forgot how to restore or re-move program files and users data to Drive : C again, I've searched in the browser but never found the...
  4. How to change the location of "Program Files" and "Users" folder

How to change the location of "Program Files" and "Users" folder: Hello everyone, my device win 11, I have a little problem, I have moved the user folder and program files from Drive :C, to Drive :D. well, I forgot how to restore or re-move program files and users data to Drive : C again, I've searched in the browser but never found the...
  5. Trying to change the location of Users folder or my personal user folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Trying to change the location of Users folder or my personal user folder: I am having an issue which is: by default, the user file location should be: C:\Users\<username>, but mine is C:\Users\Users\<username>.It's very annoying and I really want to fix it by moving the user folder or Users folder....
  6. Trying to change the location of Users folder or my personal user folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trying to change the location of Users folder or my personal user folder: I am having an issue which is: by default, the user file location should be: C:\Users\<username>, but mine is C:\Users\Users\<username>.It's very annoying and I really want to fix it by moving the user folder or Users folder....
  7. Trying to change the location of Users folder or my personal user folder

8. Getting an error message when trying to change app install location.

Getting an error message when trying to change app install location.: Ultimately I am attempting to install a game. There is not enough room on my c: drive to do this so I go to change the app install location and it tells me there are app's from another device installed on D: drive would you like to remove them to install. I click yes I get...
  9. Error when changing location of user folder

Error when changing location of user folder: So i tried changing the OneDrive Pictures folder to the pictures folder on my on site network drive, and it brought this error msg up: [ATTACH] How would one make it successfully make the pictures folder on the onsite network drive?...
  10. Trying to change the location of my Users' folders in Win 10

Trying to change the location of my Users' folders in Win 10: I've just upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 on our family PC. I'd like to move the location of the Users folder from the SSD C: drive to 1TB HDD d: drive. I've read a few posts, which suggest using the location tab in the folder's properties but there isn't a location tab...