Windows 10: Error message "Unable to add printer Microsoft XPS Document Writer Error 0x80041001 Generic...

Discus and support Error message "Unable to add printer Microsoft XPS Document Writer Error 0x80041001 Generic... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; When attempting to open Quickbooks 2017 or 2018, I get an error message about a component missing. "Component required for PDF print from QuickBooks... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by CarolynWilkinson1, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Error message "Unable to add printer Microsoft XPS Document Writer Error 0x80041001 Generic...

When attempting to open Quickbooks 2017 or 2018, I get an error message about a component missing. "Component required for PDF print from QuickBooks is missing". A link is provided for installing the required component. I ran the tool provided but received the following message:

Unable to add printer Microsoft XPS Document Writer Error 0x80041001 Generic failure

Operation PutInstance

Provider Win32 Providere

Description The printer driver is unknown.

Win32 error code 1797

Ending QuickBooks Processes in the background...

I found an article with Error 0x80041001 General failure mentioned but the article cautioned about using the hotfix unless the problem was the one described in the article (This problem may occur if you have applied instance security rights to one or more SMS packages). https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/837387/you-receive-a-0x80041001-generic-failure-error-message-when-you-query

I'm not sure my issue matches. Could use your help on this one.

Thanks

:)

CarolynWilkinson1, Aug 16, 2018

2. Cannot reinstall Microsoft XPS Document Writer

I tried to use an Intuit QuickBooks tool to fix a problem with saving to a pdf. The tool deleted Microsoft XPS Document Writer from my printer list and then was unable to add it back. Intuit gave me a link to instructions for re-installing Microsoft XPS
    Document Writer (Reinstall Microsoft XPS Document Writer in Windows - QuickBooks Learn & Support) myself. I followed the instruction exactly, but in the end got an error message "Unable to install printer. The handle is invalid." and I
    have no idea what that means. I tried the Microsoft fixit DeviceCenterDiagnostic but it did not find anything. I tried to re-install Microsoft XPS Document Writer by choosing that I had a disk and browsed to the .inf file and in the end got the same error
    message "Unable to install printer. The handle is invalid." How can I get around that and get Microsoft XPS Document Writer back as a valid printer?

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Atlas Glass, Aug 16, 2018
  3. LK375 Win User
    Missing Microsoft XPS Document Writer

After a recent Windows 10 pro update from Microsoft, I noticed that two printers were missing from "Devices and Printers", my Cannon color ImageClass MF72bCdw printer and Microsoft's XPS Document Writer. I was able to reinstall the MF72bCdw printer driver
    and the printer is back and functioning normally. However, I can't reinstall the Microsoft XPS Document Writer. When I do I get a error message "Unable to install printer" - The handle is invalid". I've looked in C:\windows\system32\spool\tools and the subdirectory
    "Microsoft XPS Document Writer" is completely missing. Gone....

I've check my other Window 10 pro computers and the "Microsoft XPS Document Writer" subdirectory is in the C:\windows\system32\spool\tools directory. What's the fix for this problem? I need this printer installed for QuickBooks and it's getting to be a issue.
    I've spent the better part of three days working on this problem. HELP....

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

LK375, Aug 16, 2018
  4. Error message "Unable to add printer Microsoft XPS Document Writer Error 0x80041001 Generic...

Windows 10 and XPS Document Writer issues

Hi Briston,

We appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

Before proceeding, we need more information to help you better.

• What files you are trying to save using XPS document writer?

• Is the issue specific with the files?
    I suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps to resolve XPS document writer issues.

• Right click on empty area on Desktop, click on Create and select New text document.

• Open the created text document and type some text (input text as you desire, save and close text file)

• Again open the text document, click on File tab and click on Print.

• Select the Microsoft XPS writer and click on Print button.

• You may select the location to save the file.
    You may follow the below article to fix the issues with Printer.

Fix printer problems
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/fix-printer-problems

I hope the above information helps. Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, Aug 16, 2018
Thema:

Error message "Unable to add printer Microsoft XPS Document Writer Error 0x80041001 Generic...

1. Error message "Unable to add printer Microsoft XPS Document Writer Error 0x80041001 Generic... - Similar Threads - Error message Unable

2. Fix Microsoft XPS Document Writer not working

in Windows 10 News
    Fix Microsoft XPS Document Writer not working: [ATTACH]In this article, we will discuss what you should do if you find that the Microsoft XPS Document writer is not working on your Windows 11/10 device. Microsoft XPS Document Writer is a print-to-file driver that is used to create XPS (XML Paper Specification) files on a...
  3. Windows XPS Document Writer not showing up in printer options

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows XPS Document Writer not showing up in printer options: I'm setting up a new HP PC with Windows 10. After initial install, I went through and uninstalled all the usual nuisance apps & programs and I'm pretty sure I MAY have inadvertently uninstalled XPS in that tedious process. I also made the tactical error of NOT creating a...
  4. Windows XPS Document Writer not showing up in printer options

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows XPS Document Writer not showing up in printer options: I'm setting up a new HP PC with Windows 10. After initial install, I went through and uninstalled all the usual nuisance apps & programs and I'm pretty sure I MAY have inadvertently uninstalled XPS in that tedious process. I also made the tactical error of NOT creating a...
  5. How to Add or Remove Microsoft XPS Document Writer Printer in Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    How to Add or Remove Microsoft XPS Document Writer Printer in Windows 11/10: [ATTACH]If you do not need the Microsoft XPS Document Writer printer, you can remove it in Windows 11/10 using these methods. Here are some of the ways to remove the Microsoft XPS Document Writer Printer and make the list uncluttered. What is Microsoft XPS Document Writer...
  6. Microsoft XPS Document Writer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Microsoft XPS Document Writer: Microsoft XPS Document Writer inadvertently deleted this printer. It is needed for Quickbooks to email. How and can I reinstall? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-xps-document-writer/4b45010a-a2c7-4b8f-aec0-6107c5642424
  7. Microsoft XPS Document Writer gone again!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Microsoft XPS Document Writer gone again!: After your recent update I am unable to use Microsoft XPS document writer, which I need to run Quickbooks. Same problem occurred last year. Please help again....
  8. Microsoft XPS Document Writer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Microsoft XPS Document Writer: I have Microsoft XPS Document Writer and can print to it but I cant read any of the files from my previous computer that were dprinted to it. I have several years of files save to this printe and cant ready any of them since replacing my previous computer....
  9. microsoft xps document writer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    microsoft xps document writer: how to get Microsoft xps document writer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-xps-document-writer/96f1d195-bb23-482c-94e1-6c70ca36f3fd
  10. Add or Remove Microsoft XPS Document Writer Printer in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Microsoft XPS Document Writer Printer in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Microsoft XPS Document Writer Printer in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Microsoft XPS Document Writer Printer in Windows 10 Windows 10 allows you to Print to XPS natively using the Microsoft XPS Document Writer printer feature. Microsoft XPS...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. 0x80041001 printer

2. 0x80041001 specified port is unknown

3. Unable to install microsoft XPS printer 0x80070490

4. microsoft xps document writer driver issue for windows 10 1709 unable to upgrade to 1809,
  5. windows 10 unable to add printer error 0x80041001 generic failure,
  6. error 0x80041001 generic failure prnmngr.vbs,
  7. Error 0x80041001 installing printer,
  8. unable to add printer generic error,
  9. unable to open a microsoft xps document writer document,
  10. Unable to print a pdf to a Microsoft XPS,
  11. unable to install xps document writer handle is invalid,
  12. prnmngr.vbs error 0x80041001 generic failure,
  13. PREINTER SCRIPT ADD ERROR 0x80041001,
  14. unable to install microsoft xps document writer,
  15. unable to print xps document writer