Windows 10: Error message when trying to access files from an external hard drive in file explorer

Discus and support Error message when trying to access files from an external hard drive in file explorer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have an 2.0TB Seagate external drive attached by USB when I try to open some of the files in file explorer I get the message "Location not available... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Colin_Cheal, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Error message when trying to access files from an external hard drive in file explorer

I have an 2.0TB Seagate external drive attached by USB when I try to open some of the files in file explorer I get the message "Location not available - H:/ ***********. is not accessible. The request failed due to a fatal device hardware failure"

I have attached a screengrab of the message.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks Error message when trying to access files from an external hard drive in file explorer ff0ced3c-f89b-466c-a033-9a1cf1d1dac7?upload=true.png

:)

Colin_Cheal, Nov 16, 2020
  2. GarySabia Win User

Trouble accessing files on external hard drive

I am am having trouble accessing files from an external hard drive. Getting 0x80004005 error message and other errors "can not access files". I have shared and given permissions for all the files but still no luck

The external hard drive was one of a shared network of hard drives but I have been able to access all the others....

THoughts? Suggestions?

GarySabia, Nov 16, 2020
  3. Remon Ont Win User
    External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Nov 16, 2020
  4. Error message when trying to access files from an external hard drive in file explorer

CANNOT DELETE A CORRUPTED FILE ON MY EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE ON WINDOWS 10

Hi Leenus,

Hard drive and other external memory storage can be corrupted on account of bad sectors which are no longer accessible or writable due to permanent damage. Your device or hard drive could also be infected by some type of malware. These are some of the possible
    causes why you are experiencing the error "ERROR 0x80070570: The file or directory is corrupted or unreadable". To address this concern, we suggest performing the following troubleshooting methods:

Method 1

Check and repair disk errors or corrupted file system. This process can fix "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable" error caused by bad sectors, virus infection or file system corruption. To do so, follow these steps:

• Back up all of the files on the hard drive (except for the corrupted file).
    • Using Search, type CMD.
    • From the search results, right-click on Command Prompt and then choose Run as administrator.
    • On the Command Prompt window, type chkdsk /f h: (h stands for your hard drive) and then hit the Enter key.
    • Delete the corrupted file and check if you'll experience the same error.

Method 2

Format the hard drive. You can manually format the hard drive to permanently remove "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable" error. These are the steps on how to format an external drive:

• Plug the hard drive into your computer.
    • Back up all of the files on the hard drive (except for the corrupted file).
    • Open File Explorer and then click This PC.
    • Click the external hard drive's name, click on Manage tab and then click on Format.
    • Click Start and then click OK.

Keep us updated with the result.

Darleen Pen, Nov 16, 2020
Thema:

Error message when trying to access files from an external hard drive in file explorer

1. Error message when trying to access files from an external hard drive in file explorer - Similar Threads - Error message trying

2. External Hard Drive Not Appearing in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard Drive Not Appearing in File Explorer: It works on another laptop running on Windows 10. I've tried all the fixes I could find online, but nothing seems to be working. It shows up on Device Manager. I did update the drivers. I uninstalled the device. Manually installed drivers from the manufacturer's website and...
  3. External Hard Drive Not Appearing in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Hard Drive Not Appearing in File Explorer: It works on another laptop running on Windows 10. I've tried all the fixes I could find online, but nothing seems to be working. It shows up on Device Manager. I did update the drivers. I uninstalled the device. Manually installed drivers from the manufacturer's website and...
  4. File Explorer repeatedly quits when i access my external hard-drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer repeatedly quits when i access my external hard-drive.: Hi.Whenever I plug my Seagate BackUp Plus 6 Tb drive File Explorer immediately quits after a few seconds of browsing. Then when i reopen it again, it appears to disconnect and connect the drive letter again, but without any prompt showing. I tried restarting it, I tried...
  5. File Explorer repeatedly quits when i access my external hard-drive.

File Explorer repeatedly quits when i access my external hard-drive.: Hi.Whenever I plug my Seagate BackUp Plus 6 Tb drive File Explorer immediately quits after a few seconds of browsing. Then when i reopen it again, it appears to disconnect and connect the drive letter again, but without any prompt showing. I tried restarting it, I tried...
  6. When I try to copy files or folders from external-to-external drives using file explorer...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When I try to copy files or folders from external-to-external drives using file explorer...: When I try to copy files or folders from external-to-external drives using file explorer windows 11 the files show that they copied but when i check the folders they are empty. Is there a program that I can use and bypass explorer to copy from and to external drives? or if...
  7. When I try to copy files or folders from external-to-external drives using file explorer...

When I try to copy files or folders from external-to-external drives using file explorer...: When I try to copy files or folders from external-to-external drives using file explorer windows 11 the files show that they copied but when i check the folders they are empty. Is there a program that I can use and bypass explorer to copy from and to external drives? or if...
  8. Trouble accessing files on external hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Trouble accessing files on external hard drive: I am am having trouble accessing files from an external hard drive. Getting 0x80004005 error message and other errors "can not access files". I have shared and given permissions for all the files but still no luck The external hard drive was one of a shared network of...
  9. Error when transferring files to external hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Error when transferring files to external hard drive: When transferring image files from laptop to an external hard drive I continue getting an error message saying there is not enough space in the computers picture files to complete the transfer. This is not making sense to me as I am trying to transfer the images from the...
  10. External hard drive not appearing in file explorer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External hard drive not appearing in file explorer: my windows 7 laptop died (no power). I purchase new windows 10 laptop and am attempting to read my former hard drive by making it an external drive. It is recognized as a device but I cannot view any of the files in file explorer. I am just attempting to recover some recent...