Windows 10: Error: no boot disk has been detected ot the disk has failed.

Discus and support Error: no boot disk has been detected ot the disk has failed. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So, after about 2 weeks of experiencing Windows 10 I've decided to revert back to Windows 8.1, since I was more experienced at it. So I followed every... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ScottN77, Aug 25, 2015.

1. ScottN77 Win User

Error: no boot disk has been detected ot the disk has failed.

So, after about 2 weeks of experiencing Windows 10 I've decided to revert back to Windows 8.1, since I was more experienced at it. So I followed every step to downgrade the system, waited for about a few hours, then I noticed that when Windows restarted, it somehow went to an "automatic repair" loop. I've tried literally everything there was so I can get it running again, but nothing seems to work. But, there was only one option, in which I feel like an idiot to try out.

I went to Command Prompt and typed in diskpart.exe, then enter. I then typed in LIST DISK, then SELECT DISK SYSTEM, and finally CLEAN. Since I thought at the time that CLEAN works like resetting the PC, I rebooted it again, and I came to an error message saying: No boot disk has been detected or the disk has failed.

Is, or will there be any other way to start my PC in a condition like this? If I'm missing any other details then feel free to ask.

:)

ScottN77, Aug 25, 2015
  2. John Ado Win User

“ERROR: No boot disk has been detected or the disk has failed”

Hi,

This can be a serious hardware issue. We suggest that you contact your device manufacturer for further assistance or visit a local repair center.

All the best.

John Ado, Aug 25, 2015
  3. “ERROR: No boot disk has been detected or the disk has failed”

Hi,

We would like to know if you are still experiencing the issue with your disk. Which specific troubleshooting have you tried so far?

We look forward to your response.

Monica Cam, Aug 25, 2015
  4. Error: no boot disk has been detected ot the disk has failed.

when you did the diskpart and listed the disk and select the disk then typed clean... you inadvertently wiped the partition table... not to worry from another system if you have one download Easeus partitoion recovery program the free one... it should let you create a bootable disk with its program on it if not there are other partition recovery programs out there.... some are free some are pay

other than that reinstalling from scratch will work but you'll lose your personal files and documents unless you got backups

icpwolverine, Aug 25, 2015
  5. ScottN77 Win User
    Unfortunately, my PC doesn't have any backups that I can recover, but that really doesn't matter to me since all I do on it is browsing the internet while saving my personal files on my flash drive & SD card.

I don't believe I have the drive recovery program you mentioned earlier either... Looks like I'm missing out on a lot of things.

ScottN77, Aug 25, 2015
  6. Now you have no OS at all. Fresh Installing Windows 8.1 is the right option it seems.

Windows10users, Aug 25, 2015
  7. Did you create the recovery media when you initially got your PC? If so insert that media into your usb or if you made the DVDs insert that then boot to it by pressing esc key when PC first boots up then press whatever key it shows to get to boot options usually it's F9. Then select restore to factory condition. Do not be connected to Internet during this time. Once it gets done restoring download all updates to windows then sign in to Microsoft account and let it sync your apps. After that reinstall reinstall 10 if you wish. Hope this helps

icpwolverine, Aug 25, 2015
  8. mrpumpkin Win User

Here is the link to the tool that icpwolverine mentioned. It might find a bootable partition.
    Free Partition Recovery Software - EaseUS Partition Recovery.

Also, if you no longer have windows 8 media, you can download win 10 from here and create a bootable USB or DVD, and install. It should activate, just hit skip when prompted for key #'s.

You should be able to contact the manufacturer of your PC and request recovery media if your win 8 was OEM, and you still desire to go back to win 8.

mrpumpkin, Aug 25, 2015
  9. Ztruker Win User
    Ztruker, Aug 26, 2015
  10. ScottN77 Win User
    Ok, I've just bought a new 4 GB flash drive with the files created by Rufus, and I also have the Windows 8.1 ISO image file in it. However when I boot up my PC while the flash drive is in, it still doesn't do anything other than saying the same error message. However when I press F12, all it comes out is a message saying:

Please select boot device:
    UEFI: IPV4 Atheros Network
    UEFI: IPV6 Atheros Network

Is there something wrong, or am I missing something?

ScottN77, Aug 26, 2015
  11. you trying to install 8.1 or 10 if installing 10
    you don't need rufus to create the usb to boot the micorosft downloader does it correctly for you

however if installing 8.1 rufus is needed but the settings have to be right
    if you have a gpt hdd settings in image will work
    if mbr hdd you need to change that setting

Error: no boot disk has been detected ot the disk has failed. [​IMG]

then make sure your bios settings has the ability to boot to usb devices

to check if hdd is gpt or not do this
    open cmd prompt as administrator
    type diskpart
    press enter
    type list disk
    then press enter
    look at the disk 0 there should be an asterisk next to it on the right if gpt

Error: no boot disk has been detected ot the disk has failed. [​IMG]

if not then the hdd is mbr
    type exit press enter then exit again to close cmd prompt

icpwolverine, Aug 26, 2015
  12. ScottN77 Win User
    Sorry for the late responses.
    Anyway, I've reconfigured my flash drive to the right settings on Rufus, and now my computer is now fixed. Thanks for the help guys *Biggrin

ScottN77, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Error: no boot disk has been detected ot the disk has failed. - Similar Threads - Error boot disk

2. System restore “The disk Local Disk C: has errors” error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System restore “The disk Local Disk C: has errors” error: Hello, I have already tried running all dism commands and when I press check disk, repairing drive does nothing, here is the error: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-restore-the-disk-local-disk-c-has-errors/7782c73a-b4a8-4b99-aaca-e9a39a48c718
  3. System restore “The disk Local Disk C: has errors” error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System restore “The disk Local Disk C: has errors” error: Hello, I have already tried running all dism commands and when I press check disk, repairing drive does nothing, here is the error: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-restore-the-disk-local-disk-c-has-errors/7782c73a-b4a8-4b99-aaca-e9a39a48c718
  4. System restore “The disk Local Disk C: has errors” error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Smart hard disk has detected imminent failure

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Smart hard disk has detected imminent failure: The smart hard disk check has detected a imminent failureWhat to do to correct this issueLaptop have ssd and hdd bothHp ssd s700 m.2 250gbAnd hdd is ToshibaIn july 2021 i purchased the ssd and put it in the laptop with the help of local computer shopNow is this ssd issue orr...
  6. PC has been failing to boot up

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC has been failing to boot up: Hi. I have been having a problem with my computer for roughly a week now. What has been happening is that my computer suddenly started up and shut down immediately - I tried everything, even testing my power button but nothing was working until I was told to replace the...
  7. wired disk error Disk 3 has the same disk identifiers

wired disk error Disk 3 has the same disk identifiers: here is the error the disk 3 is a old backup drive i had in my old system and is mounted in a hard drive docking station along with another disk, but this error i don't no what to do about this any help greatly appreciated as i have lots of files on this hard drive, very...
  8. No boot disk has been detected or the disk has failed

in Windows 10 News
    No boot disk has been detected or the disk has failed: [ATTACH]If when you boot your Windows 10 computer and you receive the No boot disk has been detected or the disk has failed error message, […] This article No boot disk has been detected or the disk has failed first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  9. "Disk has been surprised removed"

"Disk has been surprised removed": Hi, I am randomly getting these warnings in event viewer. I am not sure why this is happening but this has been happening for a while now and it seems to happen every few hours. I only have 3 internal drives (2 HDDs & 1 SSD) and 5 partitions total (screenshot of disk manager)...
  10. "Disk has been surprised removed"

in Windows 10 Support
    "Disk has been surprised removed": Hi, I am randomly getting these warnings in event viewer. I am not sure why this is happening but this has been happening for a while now and it seems to happen every few hours. I only have 3 internal drives (2 HDDs & 1 SSD) and 5 partitions total (screenshot of disk manager)...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. What does error: no boot disk has been detected or the disk has failed on your comptuter screen mean.