Windows 10: Error Opening Registry Key: An error is preventing this key from being opened

Discus and support Error Opening Registry Key: An error is preventing this key from being opened in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH]If you’re encountering the error message An error is preventing this key from being opened while opening specific keys in Registry Editor on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Sep 11, 2020.

1. WinClub New Member

Error Opening Registry Key: An error is preventing this key from being opened

WinClub, Sep 11, 2020

2. Registry - Error Opening Key

I am trying to upgrade McAfee Security Center to McAfee Total Protection. When it tries to install I get a "Installation Incomplete" error. A McAfee tech found an error in the registry. hkey_local_machine\software\McAfee. When regedit accesses the key
    I get an error: "Error Opening Key; McAfee cannot be opened. An error is preventing this key from being opened. Details: The system cannot find the file specified." How do I correct this error?

RICHARD.pan, Sep 11, 2020
  3. newtekie1 Win User
    CD drive error

1) Close all open programs
    2) Click on Start, Run, and type REGEDIT and press Enter
    3) Click on the plus signs (+) next to the following folders

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    SYSTEM
    CurrentControlSet
    Control
    Class
    {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    4) This folder is the DVD/CD-ROM Drive Class Description in the registry. Look for any of the following names in the right hand column.

UpperFilters
    LowerFilters
    UpperFilters.bak
    LowerFilters.bak
    5) If any of the above keys shown in step 4 are listed, right-click on them and choose Delete
    6) After deleting the keys, close the Registry Editor
    7) Reboot your computer
    8) Open My Computer and check to see if your CD or DVD drives have returned. You may also want to open Device Manager and verify that the yellow exclamation and error code on the CD or DVD drive is gone.

And it likely has something to do with the emulated drive you have listed there.

newtekie1, Sep 11, 2020
  4. asyntax Win User

ATITool registry key

Hello,

During ATITool installation, the following registry key was added to my registry:

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{85b5ddd0-e090-4b15-bdf2-a443a3ca0b66}"

After uninstalling the program, this key remained. I tried to delete it through the registry editor but it returned the following error:

"Cannot delete {85b5ddd0-e090-4b15-bdf2-a443a3ca0b66}: Error while deleting key."

I'm running Vista Home Premium 32-bit by the way. I also tried to change permissions for the key and deleting in safe mode, but neither of those worked either.

Any ideas on how i can remove this key? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

asyntax, Sep 11, 2020
Thema:

1. Error Opening Registry Key: An error is preventing this key from being opened - Similar Threads - Error Opening Registry

2. I accidentally deleted a registry key to open "folder".

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I accidentally deleted a registry key to open "folder".: I accidentally deleted a registry key in "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\open\command" that's used to open a folder when you double click on it. Now when i click on a folder it redirects to the home folder %SystemRoot%\Explorer.exe. I do not have a back-up of my registry.I...
  3. How do i fix error 680 unable to open a registry key

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How do i fix error 680 unable to open a registry key: i found txt files called default_error_stack-000003-000000, default_error_stack-000002-000000, default_error_stack-000001-000000showing this:default_error_stack-000001-000000:--------------------------------------- [ *** Error Stack Dump BEGIN *** ]...
  4. How do i fix error 680 unable to open a registry key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do i fix error 680 unable to open a registry key: i found txt files called default_error_stack-000003-000000, default_error_stack-000002-000000, default_error_stack-000001-000000showing this:default_error_stack-000001-000000:--------------------------------------- [ *** Error Stack Dump BEGIN *** ]...
  5. How do i fix error 680 unable to open a registry key

6. Error 1402.Cloud not open key

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Error 1402.Cloud not open key: Error 1402.Cloud not open key[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-1402cloud-not-open-key/c3b9956e-32b9-4a8e-9960-173e97471362
  7. Error opening a Registry key

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Error opening a Registry key: Hi, I was installing Autodesk Maya. In the middle of the installation, an error came up "Could not open key: UNKNOWN\Components\E968ED8BEF966D7418BF06E3D381CE1E\D14ED748A5C125A4DA4DEA077875DEDB Verify that you have sufficient access to the key or contact your support...
  8. Registry keys registry keys

in Windows 10 Customization
    Registry keys registry keys: Where can I customize the file type/extension icon? John 137822
  9. Registry - Could not open key

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Registry - Could not open key: I'm trying to install Autocad and part way through I get a message saying it could not open a Key. I've googled the issue and believe i need to change permissions in registry which i tried to do as shown below but without success. Am i adopting the correct approach and what...
  10. Prevent application to create a registry key

Prevent application to create a registry key: Hi, is it possible to prevent certain application to create a registry key in Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software registry location? That registry key causes some problems - when I delete it manually problems are solved but every so often key gets created as soon as...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. How to fix error opening key

2. Windows cannot be opened an error is preventing this key from being opened