Windows 10: error:path name too long when extract file

Discus and support error:path name too long when extract file in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Greetings technicians, I received the error: path name too long when I extract Avid-Pro_Tools_HD_10.3.9.zip for inner files. Have any way for solving... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by phangmei sum, Mar 18, 2020.

1. error:path name too long when extract file

Greetings technicians, I received the error: path name too long when I extract Avid-Pro_Tools_HD_10.3.9.zip for inner files. Have any way for solving this problem in order to extract file without error.

:)

phangmei sum, Mar 18, 2020
  2. Angie_99 Win User

File path too long for extraction from external hard drive

I copied the zipped backup files from the external drive into the Documents folder in File Explorer. When clicking on the individual files I choose the 'extract all' option. It extracts those files with adequate file path length but prompts me to skip files
    where the path is too long.

I obviously didn't realise that there are potential path length issues when I named/saved the files initially.

How can I access the path and change it so that I can extract and open the files?

Many thanks

Angie

Angie_99, Mar 18, 2020
  3. Extracting Zip Files

Thanks pyramid10 for your contribution, I ensured that the steps taken and the source and destination folders were the same, in the using zip7 as suggested by BunnyJ resolved all issues for me.
    I am the first to admit that I am a long long way from understanding the intricacies of computers and if truth be told I am now to old anyway to absorb much information.
    Cheers.

croydonian, Mar 18, 2020
  4. error:path name too long when extract file

Explorer support for zip files with long file paths

Windows 10 Explorer natively support accessing files within a zip without exploding/extracting it.

That is a great feature since it prevents us to have to needlessly waste time and space to extract zip files just to look at some files within the zip file.

However, while accessing the zip file directly from Explorer, we have found that if people create a long folder structure with long folder names and long file names before zipping the folder structure, then trying to access some of those long folder/file
    name files in the zip file starts to fail, complaining about the path being too long.

Is there a known fix for that ? (One that does not involve extracting the entire zip file, just to look at one file)

(FYI: we have enabled the computer for long file paths in the registry, and accessing the exact same folder structure outside of the zip file at the root of the drive works fine)

Similarly, trying to extract the zip file in some folder within the drive folder hierarchy also fails, giving some error while extracting the zip file.

Can someone explain why trying to extract the zip file in some folder within the drive folder hierarchy also fails, given we have enabled the computer for long file paths in the registry ?

The only option we have found so far is to extract the zip file in the root of the drive, which then allow us to access all the files. even the ones with very long folder file names.

Thanks for any fix or insight you can provide.

YvesTrottier, Mar 18, 2020
Thema:

error:path name too long when extract file

1. error:path name too long when extract file - Similar Threads - error path name

2. File name too long

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File name too long: I still have an issue with the error "the file name is too long", although it is not. Ihave changed the value in the longpathsenable Keyloccalmachine using registry editor, restarted and same issue !Please advise !...
  3. File name too long

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File name too long: I still have an issue with the error "the file name is too long", although it is not. Ihave changed the value in the longpathsenable Keyloccalmachine using registry editor, restarted and same issue !Please advise !...
  4. Path too long

Path too long: I downloaded a big file and I need to extract it, but some paths are too long.I worry that if I rename the file stuff won't work as intended, also there are a lot of long files so I don't really know what to do....
  5. Path too long Error 0x80010135 when extracting zip file on Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    Path too long Error 0x80010135 when extracting zip file on Windows 11/10: [ATTACH]If when you try to extract a Zip file or an archive file on your Windows 11 or Windows 10 computer, you get the Interrupted Action prompt stating Error 0x80010135: Path too Long, then this post is intended to help you with the most suitable solutions you can apply to...
  6. 'File name is too long' error when trying to restore file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    'File name is too long' error when trying to restore file: I am attempting to restore a folder which was, by error, deleted in "Windows Server 2016". I can see several versions of that folder in "Previous versions" tab of its parent folder, and I can open any of those versions and browse it. When I attempt to restore it, it begins to...
  7. 'File name is too long' error when trying to restore file

'File name is too long' error when trying to restore file: I am attempting to restore a folder which was, by error, deleted in "Windows Server 2016". I can see several versions of that folder in "Previous versions" tab of its parent folder, and I can open any of those versions and browse it. When I attempt to restore it, it begins to...
  8. error Path too long-

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    error Path too long-: In Windows 10 Home is there a way of stopping this from happening? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-path-too-long/b050c5d4-808c-4a21-bf15-43f1f80914c4
  9. File name too long

in Windows 10 Support
    File name too long: I run Win10: [img] And a browser save on the HDD disk, with filename counting 255 letters. And I cannot rename it, move it, or delete it. And I have enabled in the group policy Win32 long file names: Enable or Disable Win32 Long Paths in Windows 10 How can I get rid of...
  10. file name too long

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file name too long: how to resolve this issue in windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-name-too-long/783521af-d0ec-410b-826e-67a50a90159c"