Windows 10: Error popup "Cannot copy item > The device has either stopped or has been disconnected"

Discus and support Error popup "Cannot copy item > The device has either stopped or has been disconnected" in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I'm a Windows 10 x64 user. Copying files from my laptop to mobile by USB cable connection. Suddenly I disconnect the mobile from the laptop. Then I see... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Asiya Khatun, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Error popup "Cannot copy item > The device has either stopped or has been disconnected"

I'm a Windows 10 x64 user. Copying files from my laptop to mobile by USB cable connection. Suddenly I disconnect the mobile from the laptop. Then I see the error popup and it can't be hidden.

Error popup "Cannot copy item > The device has either stopped or has been disconnected" b3bc4c13-8ba7-4c42-93e5-344f65129001?upload=true.jpg

See the action on the 8 secs video - https://streamable.com/kkgso

How to I can solve it?

:)

Asiya Khatun, Sep 3, 2019

2. Cannot copy item from PC to Phone "it cannot copy the item because the device has either stopped responding or it has been disconnected"

Hi Jessica,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience you are facing. I will certainly help you with this.

• Is this issue specific to any file?
    • Are you using any specific app to copy item?
    I would suggest you to try the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1:

Run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter and check if it helps.

1. Click on search bar next to Start Menu.

2. Type “Troubleshooting” without the quotes and click on
    Troubleshooting.

3. Click on View All on the left panel of the screen.

4. Click on Hardware and Devices.

5. Click on Next and follow the prompts to run the troubleshooter.

Method 2:

I would suggest you to uninstall and reinstall USB controllers
    and check. Please follow these steps:

a. Press Windows + R keys, type devmgmt.msc
    in run window and press Enter.

b. In device manager, expand "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".

c. Right click a device under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" and click
    uninstall.

d. Perform same step for other devices. When completed, restart the computer.

All USB controllers will reinstall automatically.

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

ThofikhAhamad, Sep 3, 2019
  3. Cannot copy item from PC to Phone "it cannot copy the item because the device has either stopped responding or it has been disconnected"

Whenever I plug in my phone through a USB and try to copy photos from a folder to my phone, a small window pops up telling me that it cannot copy the item because the device has either stopped responding or it has been disconnected. I've tried restarting
    my phone, my computer, I've used a different usb and I even thought it was cause I needed an update on my phone so I updated it.

JessicaPtak, Sep 3, 2019
  4. KieX Win User

Error popup "Cannot copy item > The device has either stopped or has been disconnected"

Error: No work available to process

Hmm. Either it's put out errors and WCG is limiting the work units available, or the project list may not be set to supply other WU when one runs out. (if the problem lies here and not on your end)

On the options to your left, if you go into Results Status, select the computer from Device Name and then look through results see if either they were returned late, errors or any other kind of issue that would stop the servers supplying WU from that perspective.

If there are no errors then it's maybe down to your project list. So selecting Device Manager from the left menu and then clicking on the profile assigned to that computer and make sure that it's assigned to receive WU for other projects if they run out.

At least those steps will rule out problems from the WCG end.

KieX, Sep 3, 2019
Thema:

Error popup "Cannot copy item > The device has either stopped or has been disconnected"

1. Error popup "Cannot copy item > The device has either stopped or has been disconnected" - Similar Threads - Error popup Cannot

2. Warning message: the device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Warning message: the device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected: Popup message keeps appearing time to time - the device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected.It's not the error, but warning with triangle yellow icon.The title bar is name of the device my mobile phone name, and the warning text is:"the device has either...
  3. Warning message: the device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Warning message: the device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected: Popup message keeps appearing time to time - the device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected.It's not the error, but warning with triangle yellow icon.The title bar is name of the device my mobile phone name, and the warning text is:"the device has either...
  4. "The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected" USB Smartphone

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected" USB Smartphone: This is an issue that has been posted many times but:- I have not seen any serious answer.- The answers are generally off the mark, often fanciful, and involve time-consuming, useless, and sometimes dangerous operations for the system. Perhaps the way in which the problem was...
  5. "The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected": This is an issue that has been posted many times but:- I have not seen any serious answer.- The answers are generally off the mark, often fanciful, and involve time-consuming, useless, and sometimes dangerous operations for the system. Perhaps the way in which the problem was...
  6. "The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected"

"The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected": This is an issue that has been posted many times but:- I have not seen any serious answer.- The answers are generally off the mark, often fanciful, and involve time-consuming, useless, and sometimes dangerous operations for the system. Perhaps the way in which the problem was...
  7. The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected error that is getting worse!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected error that is getting worse!!: Firstly I have looked for a soliution to this problem and there are so many different 'versions' of it along with the plethora of fixes that do not work I'm a little overwhelmed. What I am looking for is someone who may have had the same problem and has found a solution...
  8. The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected error that is getting worse!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected error that is getting worse!!: Firstly I have looked for a soliution to this problem and there are so many different 'versions' of it along with the plethora of fixes that do not work I'm a little overwhelmed. What I am looking for is someone who may have had the same problem and has found a solution...
  9. The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected error that is getting worse!!

10. This device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected

This device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected: Hello, Windows 10 Pro x64, build 19042.928. Randomly, when I access an external USB drive or mapped network share on the NAS, I get a warning box that pops up, with two instances of the same error. Both boxes state "This device has either stopped responding or has been...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 cannot copy item