Windows 10: Error: "Scan the drive now and fix it", Linux named folder with special characters are not...

Discus and support Error: "Scan the drive now and fix it", Linux named folder with special characters are not... in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, "dear" Microsoft, I am running Windows 10 on a ProBook 4530s machine and today, after I plugged my external drive in, I was greeted with a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Zaid Rynes, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Error: "Scan the drive now and fix it", Linux named folder with special characters are not...

Hello, "dear" Microsoft,

I am running Windows 10 on a ProBook 4530s machine and today, after I plugged my external drive in, I was greeted with a wonderful "There's a problem with this drive. Scan the drive now and fix it." message, to which I said "Fine! Why not?". After it finished "fixing" my drive (that worked and works without any issues), I found myself missing some folders and files created in Linux. Unlike Windows, Linux operating systems (Ubuntu in my case) allow the user to name files using characters such as "(")", "?", ">", "|" or "*". If you have a folder created in Linux with this name - "<Whatever>" -, Windows is going to see that folder as corrupt or inaccessible. Well, after running the s**tty Drive Error Check, I saw myself WITHOUT those folders and files that had names containing "special" characters.

Of course, when I connect the drive, I am still greeted with the same message, and the last time, it prompted me to restart my computer in order to fix errors on the drive... What on earth does "fixing" an EXTERNAL drive have to do with restarting an ENTIRE computer? Can't you just fix it while it's on? It's not like I'm running the OS from that drive; it's just a storage drive, not a system one!

Do I really have to use two goddamn separate drives, one for Linux and one for Windows, to prevent such things? This is so frustrating!

I also must mention that, before Windows got noisy about my drive having any issues, I connected it to a Linux environment, to transfer some data, and those files containing "forbidden" characters worked PERFECTLY FINE in Linux - nothing corrupt about them at all. And the drive was properly unmounted before being unplugged from the system, both in Windows and in Linux. (I waited until the machine said "The drive can be safely removed from the system now.", and I never remove a drive without properly disconnecting it from the system first.)

This is so embarrassing, Microsoft! Why can't you just once in your life do a thing the damn RIGHT WAY?! I want my files back!

***Title Modified Original: Windows' Drive Error Checking Deleted My Linux Files***

:)

Zaid Rynes, Feb 17, 2019

2. How to create folder name or file name with special characters like \ / : * ? " < > |

My problem is that, I can not give name of my folder or file with special characters like \ / : * ? " < > | in windows based O.S.
    This is very important for me, that giving name of file/folder which contain this type of characters.

I already search and refer so many site,for this problems but all are hopeless.
    I also read Microsoft support page, they suggest use other characters. This is its link, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/177506

I already try Alt button + ASCII code number of this type of special characters, from numpad key, just example rename file/folder and press Alt+60 (for < characters) Still it giving message that, A filename cannot contain any of the following characters:
    \ / : * ? " < > |

Suggest me suitable solution so that I can give name of my file/folder with this type of special characters.

Kirit_Vanani, Feb 17, 2019
  3. Can't delete folder in Windows 10 with special character

I have a similar problem as in Can't delete folder (in Windows 10) that contains special character in that I get the exact same error message when trying to delete a specific folder.

From Can't delete folder (in Windows 10) that contains special character and from Can't delete folder in Windows 7, it seems the work-around is to try to use the 8.3 DOS name.

But, when I do a dir /x, I don't get an 8.3 DOS name... Per the dir help page:

So, I guess in my case my directory does not have an 8.3 equivalent and that's apparently a "normal" thing. I did not see any other suggestions on how to delete directories with special characters, short of booting a live version of Linux...

Any other ideas?

Markus Lankeit, Feb 17, 2019
  4. topgundcp Win User

Error: "Scan the drive now and fix it", Linux named folder with special characters are not...

Unable to delete a folder - Invalid folder name

Suggestion:
    1. Run chkdsk x: /r to make sure that there's no HD corruption.
      x: is the drive containing the folder you want to delete.
    2. Try to delete the folder again. If still does not work, go to step 3.
    3. Download: Download - Linux Mint and create a bootable USB using: Rufus - Create bootable USB
    4. Boot up with Linux Mint and try to delete the folder again.
      NOTE: Unlike WinPE. Linux does not have any Windows permission imposed to it so it is easier to delete.

topgundcp, Feb 17, 2019
Thema:

Error: "Scan the drive now and fix it", Linux named folder with special characters are not...

1. Error: "Scan the drive now and fix it", Linux named folder with special characters are not... - Similar Threads - Error Scan drive

2. File Name should not contain special character

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Name should not contain special character: File Name should not contain special character https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-name-should-not-contain-special-character/33c60b93-6eaf-431c-a6e7-241edde7e640
  3. File Name should not contain special character

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Name should not contain special character: File Name should not contain special character https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-name-should-not-contain-special-character/33c60b93-6eaf-431c-a6e7-241edde7e640
  4. File Name should not contain special character

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Special characters in file names

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Special characters in file names: Hi, since this morning out of a blue any of my files that contains special character Norwegian letters or files that stored in a folder that contains special character can not be seen in the preview pane, only an error message "File not found" is shown.Is there any setting to...
  6. Special characters in file names

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Special characters in file names: Hi, since this morning out of a blue any of my files that contains special character Norwegian letters or files that stored in a folder that contains special character can not be seen in the preview pane, only an error message "File not found" is shown.Is there any setting to...
  7. Special characters in file names

8. Software with special character in the name is not running

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Software with special character in the name is not running: There is a piece of software that I am trying to run on my pc Levelator 2.1.1 but it does not start after installing.I tried to figure out what's wrong and I noticed one thing after trying it on a friend's computer. The end of the software's name on my friend's computer has...
  9. Software with special character in the name is not running

Software with special character in the name is not running: There is a piece of software that I am trying to run on my pc Levelator 2.1.1 but it does not start after installing.I tried to figure out what's wrong and I noticed one thing after trying it on a friend's computer. The end of the software's name on my friend's computer has...
  10. special character ¥

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    special character ¥: I usually use three languages, English, Traditional Chinese and Japanese. And I, always, need to type the specail character "¥" using the keyboard combination of [ALT]165, but this cannot be done using English language keyboard, it will return a "?", only when I switch to...