Windows 10: Error "System detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in this application"

Discus and support Error "System detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in this application" in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I get this error while in safe mode and when trying to install the Twitch desktop app and Discord desktop app. When not in safe mode, the Discord... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Alte_McCrae, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Error "System detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in this application"

I get this error while in safe mode and when trying to install the Twitch desktop app and Discord desktop app.

When not in safe mode, the Discord application gives an error log (I can provide it if that would help). The twitch application appears to install but doesn't launch.

I uninstalled both programs because they stopped launching and now they won't reinstall. I've tested a few other applications and they aren't having this problem (so far).

• I've ran sfc /scannow in elevated command prompt, "did not find any integrity violations"
    • I've ran DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth and restarted
    • I've restored to a point prior to when the apps stopped working.
    • I've ran a memory diagnostic with no errors
    • Malwarebytes scan doesn't detect anything
    • Rkill.exe doesn't detect anything

I'm trying to avoid reinstalling windows completely as my internet is pretty slow so it takes a few days to re-download the games I frequently play (open to any way to get around this).

Thank you

:)

Alte_McCrae, Jan 27, 2019

2. SIHOST buffer overrun error

I am encountering the following popup error message when I try to restart my system in Safe Mode:

Sihost.exe – System error – The system detected an overrun of a stack based buffer in this application. This overrun could potentially allow a malicious user to gain control of the application.

This happens as I press the '4' option from the Restart Menu options screen.

There is a 'Close' button on the message popup screen which does not work - the message is simply regenerated.

After a few tries at closing the message the system does go into Safe Mode.

Apart from this, I have experienced no problems running in normal mode, but my Antivirus software (ESET NOD32) is unable to run properly. I am concerned that there may be a compromise somewhere in the system.

I have run SFC without any issues - Also DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth and Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool. All report no problems.

Can you advise next steps?

Beevreeter, Jan 27, 2019
  3. Sk1818 Win User
    Buffer Overrun Detected

I updated my computer from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Before I did I did a backup of files.

Now when I go to restore the files I get the following error:

Buffer Overrun Detected!

Program: ....ckward\TouchSmart\Media\Kernel\CLML\CLMLSvc.exe

A buffer overrun has been detected which has corrupted this program's internal state. The program cannot safely continue execution and must now be terminated.

What is wrong? What do I do? I really need files of my backup which is on a Seagate backup drive.

Thanks.

Sk1818, Jan 27, 2019
  4. AlexDragu Win User

Error "System detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in this application"

Windows 10 BSOD, Driver overran stack buffer

The DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER bug check has a value of 0x000000F7. This indicates that a driver has overrun a stack-based buffer.

Cause

A driver overran a stack-based buffer (or local variable) in a way that would have overwritten the function's return address and jumped back to an arbitrary address when the function returned.

This is the classic "buffer overrun" hacking attack. The system has been brought down to prevent a malicious user from gaining complete control of it.

Resolution

Use the kb (Display Stack Backtrace) command to get a stack trace.

The last routine on the stack before the buffer overrun handlers and bug check call is the one that overran its local variable.

AlexDragu, Jan 27, 2019
Thema:

Error "System detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in this application"

1. Error "System detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in this application" - Similar Threads - Error System detected

2. The system detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in this application.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The system detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in this application.: Hello, i recently got this problem while opening steam games. The first error is TextInputHost.exe-System error, the second is SearchHost.exe-System error and i think i got a third one once but can't remember what it said. I have tried sfc and dism but didn't work. Also i...
  3. The system detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in this application.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The system detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in this application.: Hello, i recently got this problem while opening steam games. The first error is TextInputHost.exe-System error, the second is SearchHost.exe-System error and i think i got a third one once but can't remember what it said. I have tried sfc and dism but didn't work. Also i...
  4. Error "System detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in this application" is...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error "System detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in this application" is...: Really odd issue from my mate. I thought I would post on her behalf as she reached out and I do not know what the best solution is:She has recently had explorer.exe issues popping up on windows startup preventing her from using windows. A system restart tended to get rid of...
  5. Error "System detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in this application" is...

Error "System detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in this application" is...: Really odd issue from my mate. I thought I would post on her behalf as she reached out and I do not know what the best solution is:She has recently had explorer.exe issues popping up on windows startup preventing her from using windows. A system restart tended to get rid of...
  6. Error "System detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in this application" is...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. The system detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in this application, This overrun...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The system detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in this application, This overrun...: It says that when i tried to open open network and internet settings. does anyone know a fix? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-system-detected-an-overrun-of-a-stack-based/49da1d7d-763a-4202-a669-8ed39b13d933
  8. The system detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in this application, This overrun...

The system detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in this application, This overrun...: It says that when i tried to open open network and internet settings. does anyone know a fix? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-system-detected-an-overrun-of-a-stack-based/49da1d7d-763a-4202-a669-8ed39b13d933
  9. The system detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in this application, This overrun...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  10. The system detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in this application. This overrun...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    The system detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in this application. This overrun...: PROCESS_NAME: BlackDesert64. ERROR_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0xc0000409 - The system detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in this application. This overrun could potentially allow a malicious user to gain control of this application. I recently bluescreened and this was...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. the system detected an overrun stack buffer

2. overrun of stack-based buffer

3. the system detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in this application

4. the system detected an overrun,
  5. the system detected an overrun of a stack,
  6. overrun of a stack-based buffer,
  7. the system detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer,
  8. The system detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in this application. This overrun could potentially allow a malicious user to gain control of this application. ,
  9. error screen over run stack on this application sczhost.exe,
  10. overrun of stack based buffer,
  11. stack based buffer,
  12. svchost.exe overrun stack-based buffer,
  13. The system detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in this application. This overrun could potentially allow a malicious user to gain control of this application,
  14. The system detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in this application.,
  15. system detected an overrun of stack based