Windows 10: Error: "Task Scheduler service is not available."

Discus and support Error: "Task Scheduler service is not available." in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Without any apparent reason (no update, no new software installed") the task scheduler issues this message, followed by "Task Scheduler will attempt to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Steinspecht, May 2, 2016.

1. Error: "Task Scheduler service is not available."

Without any apparent reason (no update, no new software installed") the task scheduler issues this message, followed by "Task Scheduler will attempt to reconnect to it." Clicking OK repeats the message, clicking on X too, so the task scheduler can only be closed by killing the process in the task manager.

sfc /scannow finds nothing to fix.

What should I do??

Thanks for suggestions,

:)

Steinspecht, May 2, 2016

2. "Task scheduler service is not available."?!

I didn't make it sufficiently clear, it looks, but the Task scheduler service actually *is* running just fine, and other tasks are being run as well. Only on the 1 specific task it says "Task scheduler service is not available" (for no apparent good reason).

meimeiriver2, May 2, 2016
  3. "Task Scheduler service is not available. Task Scheduler will attempt to reconnect to it." MS hasn't fixed since at least August 2016

Threads get locked when there is no response to the question from the past 90 days which essentially is based on the assumption that the problem is not widely spread and is resolved.

http://troubleshooter.xyz/wiki/fix-task-schedul...

Sumit Dhiman2, May 2, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Error: "Task Scheduler service is not available."

Hi, try this: go to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Schedule
    Find the DWORD called start
    Is it 2?

Set a system restore point/back up the registry before making changes

Also this (read article carefully and check):
    you may also disable (or change) the startup process on the SCHEDULE service with the following:
    PSEXEC -i -s CMD
    (this opens a CMD prompt with the "NT Authority\SYSTEM" account)
    SC CONFIG SCHEDULE start= auto (changes start to Automatic)

Task Scheduler Service (Schedule) cannot be stopped in Windows 2008 R1 +

dalchina, May 2, 2016
  5. Thanks.
    Yes the value is 2.
    And yes the service start is set to automatic.
    It seems that the Scheduler tries to re-connect when I hit OK, but can't. See pic (German, alas).

Error: "Task Scheduler service is not available." [​IMG]

Steinspecht, May 2, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    I'm sure you've looked for solutions.. this seems a difficult one.
    It may be worth waiting a little and see if someone else here has a suggestion.

Otherwise: Do you have any useful restore points? Or disk images?

Failing those, you could try an in-place upgrade repair install:

However this suggests this will not fix it:
    Task Scheduler issue - Windows 10 Forums

- leaving you with clean install.
    ==================================
    In-place repair install:
    Precede it with this in case sthg has happened to your file system:

Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)
    chkdsk C: /F
    Your PC will need to restart.
    Make sure the result is clear or fixed.
    Post back the result, which will be on the screen briefly.
    Otherwise you can get the result as follows:
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!

An In-place upgrade repair install will fix many things, but not those where the settings are not changed by the procedure.

For this you need an installation medium with the same base build as you have installed.

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

This will refresh Windows, after the manner of a Windows installation.
    - all/most associations will be unchanged
    - all your programs will be left installed
    - you will lose any custom fonts
    - you will lose any customised system icons
    - you may need to re-establish your Wi-Fi connection
    - you will need to redo Windows updates subsequent to the build you have used for the repair install
    - Windows.old will be created
    - system restore will be turned off- you should turn it on again and I recommend you manually schedule a daily restore point.
    - you will need to redo any language downloads including the display language if you changed that)
    - inactive title bar colouring (if used) will be reset to default
    - if Qttabbar is installed, you need to re-enable it in explorer (Options, check Qttabbar)
    This is one of the better features of Win10: as each major build comes out, that's your updated reference build, and as updates are mostly cumulative, there will be few to do.

Recommendation:
    Before you perform this major repair procedure, do create a disk image.

Please consider using disk imaging regularly. It's a brilliant way to
    - preserve your system (and your sanity)
    - back up your data
    - restore your system to a previously working state in a relatively short time

Recommended: Macrium Reflect or Aomei Backupper (free) + their boot disk/device + large enough external storage medium.

dalchina, May 2, 2016
  7. Thx a lot for this comprehensive reply, great! Yes I've looked around for a fix. This all began after a scan with the Avira Pro antivirus software. Some files were quarantined. Avira have sent me an inspection tool, I've sent them the log file and will wait for their response. If of no use I'll revert to your suggestion. Might take a day or two before coming back here.

Steinspecht, May 2, 2016
  8. Error: "Task Scheduler service is not available."

If it happened after scaning with Avira you might try to use system restore to before the scan.
    In general I never use 3rd party scanners unless I do not have any other choich.
    The best scanner and the safest one is MSERT.EXE.

Regards

nissimezra, May 3, 2016
  9. dalchina New Member
    Doesn't seem to be an obvious result linking Avira + task scheduler... however, inspect the items in quarantine, if you think sthg is a false positive, upload it to Virustotal.

Before attempting the in-place repair you could try downloading Tweaking.com's Repair tool (free) and try e.g. repair 26 - important services.

Do not select all the repairs, and do work through the cautious steps.

dalchina, May 3, 2016
  10. @ dalchina

Back here with the response from Avira: Not our problem, it is Windows. Sort of expected it.

I got one step farther by using Procmon.exe. I have a log file in the native .PML format. It shows various things, like:
    17:19:39,0305877 mmc.exe 3868 RegOpenKey HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\CTF\KnownClasses NAME NOT FOUND Desired Access: Read

Since I cannot attach a text file here, about 2MB, I wonder (1) whether you'd be inclined to look at the log file, and if so, (2) how best to make it available to you.
    I hesitate to do the in-place Windows thingy before I fully understand what's going on.
    Thanks and regards,

Steinspecht, May 3, 2016
  11. dalchina New Member
    Sorry, wouldn't be very helpful- would need to know what to look for and when. A normal Procmon log contains a lot of apparent registry read fails and reattempts.

Try my idea about the repair tool in #7

Task Scheduler Startup Error
    - has some interesting ideas.
    The one about comparing tasks with the schedule is one I've had to do before.

Noted you didn't comment on restore points and disk images, so assume you have none.

dalchina, May 3, 2016
  12. Ok, point taken. I'll see what the Tweaking.com's Repair tool can do for me. The idea with the new user is intriguing...
    You're right, the restore points were disabled when I looked for them. Three weeks ago I updated to V. 1511. Meanwhile I read posts about the restore points being disabled by default in Threshold 2, which is mega-stupid. The were not in the previous build, so it never ocurred to me to look.
    And yes, I have a 1511 x64 ISO.

BTW, the log is tailored to mmc.exe, nothing else. But thanks.

Steinspecht, May 3, 2016
  13. dalchina New Member

dalchina, May 3, 2016
  14. Thank you Dalchina for your suport and good advice. Tweaking.com's Repair tool worked, the scheduler is back in business. Have to re-do some settings (e.g. Firefox instead of Edge) but that's peanuts.

Keep up the good work.
    Regards,

Steinspecht, May 4, 2016
  15. I think I'm having a similar problem as you. But the tweaking.com repair tool didn't work. Do you remember what repairs you specifed?

dispersion, Nov 7, 2016
Thema:

1. Error: "Task Scheduler service is not available." - Similar Threads - Error Task Scheduler

2. Task scheduler service is not available -> resolved now

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Task scheduler service is not available -> resolved now: I have created this to inform you about some already closed community entrys likeTask Scheduler service is not available. Task Scheduler will attemt to - Microsoft...
  3. Task Scheduler errors

in Windows 10 Customization
    Task Scheduler errors: Hi I upgraded a Windows 7 Pro 64 BIT O/S pc to Windows 10 Pro 64 BIT O/S. It seems since I did this every time I open task scheduler I get a few errors that say User_feed_sycronization with different numbers after it and a task registraion error. I can create new tasks and...
  4. Service Host: Task Scheduler

Service Host: Task Scheduler: Hello, I have a problem described on below Image with Service host: Tash Scheduler. I tried to End Task, and stop the service from services but did not work out, Now the windows is hanging must of the time. Could you please help me resolve this issue permanently....
  5. Task Scheduler-service not running?

Task Scheduler-service not running?: I have a problem with task scheduler-service. I wanted to update my Nvidia driver when i got a message that i could not update it because task scheduler wasnt running tried so many things but nothing is working and i really want to know why. can someone please help?...
  6. Task Scheduler Cannot be Started in Services - Local Computer is not available

Task Scheduler Cannot be Started in Services - Local Computer is not available: Many have asked and have been answered, but it says that I do not have the correct Windows to complete. I have Windows 10 Home Fast Ring THANKS! Log Name: Application Source: Microsoft-Windows-Security-SPP Date: 9/15/2018 3:23:42 AM Event ID:...
  7. Task Scheduler Error

Task Scheduler Error: 3 days ago, my task scheduler stopped working showing the following error '' Remote Computer was not found '' and then '' the task scheduler service on local computer started and then stopped. some services stop automatically if not in use by other services or programs'' so I...
  8. Task Scheduler error

Task Scheduler error: Hello This error was showing to me when I was need to update my geforce experience and I saw an error that said that I need to start the task scheduler so I press windows key and R, run services.msc, go to task scheduler and attempted to start it and then I saw this massage:...
  9. Task Scheduler error

in Windows 10 Support
    Task Scheduler error: Each time an attempt is made to change an existing/working entry that I have created in Task Scheduler it reports "invalid parameter." Same thing occurs when importing a previously exported, working entry that I created, which necessitates deletion and recreation of the...
  10. Task Scheduler Error

in Windows 10 Support
    Task Scheduler Error: When I access Task Scheduler, an error appears that says SqmUpload_S-1-5-21......... no longer exists. To see the current tasks, click Refresh. However, the same message appears when I click Refresh. I can close the message and it appears the Task Scheduler is OK. A person on...