Windows 10: Error: The directory name is not valid.

Discus and support Error: The directory name is not valid. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Need fix for occasional error message when trying to open a saved file. Message is: The directory name is not valid.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BobbyBear929, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Error: The directory name is not valid.

Need fix for occasional error message when trying to open a saved file. Message is: The directory name is not valid.

:)

BobbyBear929, Mar 11, 2019

2. The directory name is invalid

Hi David,

Since you have rebuilt your computer, it may have made some changes or installed some updates that might be causing the error message "G: \The directory name is invalid". However, let's check if there is a device that you can remove in Safely Remove Hardware
    utility. Follow these steps to access the utility:

• Press the Windows icon + R on your keyboard.
    • Copy and paste this 'RunDll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll".
    • Remove any device that you'll see in the utility.
    • Restart your computer, then observe if the issue will occur again.

We're looking forward to your feedback.

Carlos Tin, Mar 11, 2019
  3. The Directory Name Is Invalid

OK, here's my situation. I have a Western Digital (WD) My Passport Ultra external USB hard drive. I use this as a media drive on my WD TV Live Plus media player. For some unknown reason, the media player will sometimes corrupt files on the My Passport drive. The net effect is that a file is somehow changed into a directory.

The problem is when I attempted to delete/remove the corrupted file/directory, I receive a 'The directory name is invalid.' error.

I've tried the following:

• Run chkdsk /f; no errors found.
    • Run WD Drive Utilities diagnostics; no errors found.
    • Checked dir /x looking for an 8.3 filename; no luck.
    • Taken ownership of the directory; no luck.
    • Tried a few file unlocker utilities; no luck (not reported as locked and delete fails).
    • Even tried an NTFS disk editor; no luck.
    I've spent the last three hours googling a solution. Nothing!

Anyone else ever encountered something similar and found a solution?

claytoncarney, Mar 11, 2019
  4. Error: The directory name is not valid.

The Directory Name is not valid

I have all my work stored on an external hard drive. I messed up and had to re-format it and then back up my work from a second external hard drive. The original hard drive was called "my passport". When I restored my work onto the original hard drive
    - it called the main file "my passport". I didn't think much of it but.... any work I know save doesn't have the correct directory name it should be something like l:mypassport>>aaa aaarrg>> etc., but it just shows l:aaa aaarrg>>. How can I edit the directory
    name? Please help!

Moved from: Internet Explorer / Internet Explorer 11 / Windows 10

shelleymarks-thomson, Mar 11, 2019
Thema:

Error: The directory name is not valid.

1. Error: The directory name is not valid. - Similar Threads - Error directory name

2. "The directory name is invalid" error popup

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    "The directory name is invalid" error popup: I am getting random error popup window "The directory name is invalid" with different drive letters. Anyone know how to fix this problem [img] [img] 175711
  3. "The directory name is invalid" error popup

in Windows 10 Support
    "The directory name is invalid" error popup: I am getting random error popup window "The directory name is invalid" with different drive letters. Anyone know how to fix this problem [img] [img] 175711
  4. Directory Name Invalid error

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Directory Name Invalid error: Every time i try to open any file on my desktop word files, pdfs, etc the error message "The directory name is invalid" appears. Most of the time this issue appears with external drives and USB and not with the actual computer's drive itself. I have tried updating the drive...
  5. Desktop directory not valid

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop directory not valid: Hey there. I recently built a pc with a hard disk so I wanted to put the desktop in it. I did it through the properties and moved it to H:/User/username/Desktop Now if I try to open files from the desktop it gives me an error and says that the directory is not valid. If I...
  6. Desktop directory not valid

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop directory not valid: Hey there. I recently built a pc with a hard disk so I wanted to put the desktop in it. I did it through the properties and moved it to H:/User/username/Desktop Now if I try to open files from the desktop it gives me an error and says that the directory is not valid. If I...
  7. Why invalid directory error for Desktop, when it is a valid directory?

Why invalid directory error for Desktop, when it is a valid directory?: When I try to open a file that I put on the Desktop, I get an error saying the directory is invalid: [IMG] Here's the story: I don't want onedrive, so I unlinked to my microsoft account, then uninstalled onedrive, then changed the location of Desktop from onedrive which...
  8. 'Directory name is invalid' error

'Directory name is invalid' error: Just recently, the past 2 or 3 days, I have been getting this error when selecting items from my desktop. If I go to the directory and select the file, it works fine. It seems to have started after I removed my desktop from onedrive....
  9. Directory not valid

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Directory not valid: I can search and see the document that I need to bring up but when I click on it it says "The directory name isn't valid" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/directory-not-valid/06a38702-4a31-471b-a5ea-cf9794a94576
  10. error the directory is not valid ,word 2010

error the directory is not valid ,word 2010: how to recover a word document when error ' the directory name is not valid' ,is shown( word 2010) https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-the-directory-is-not-valid-word-2010/d09565b6-f10a-497f-8376-128a19279c5c"

Users found this page by searching for:

1. directory name not valid in word

2. directory name is not valid

3. directory nams is vaild

4. the directory name is not valid,
  5. the directory is not valid,
  6. the directory images is not valid. ,
  7. the directory name is not valid word 2010,
  8. windows the directory name is not valid