Windows 10: Error when I copy paste files on another folder or external drive.

Discus and support Error when I copy paste files on another folder or external drive. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; When I copy paste a folder to another folder or external drive I get the following error: Destination Path too long. I can't just simply rename the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by StavrosStavridis2, Nov 25, 2019.

1. Error when I copy paste files on another folder or external drive.

When I copy paste a folder to another folder or external drive I get the following error: Destination Path too long.

I can't just simply rename the folder or move thing around because it's files from projects like android studio and unity. Any solutions?

Thanks in advance.

:)

StavrosStavridis2, Nov 25, 2019

2. Cannot copy files from external drive

Hi,

Thank you for replying back to us.

1. Did you try to create a new user account and try to copy the files from your external drive to your computer?
    2. What is the location that you are trying to past the file? For example, are you pasting the files from your external drive to your Desktop, Documents, or somewhere else?
    3. Are you able to copy the same files from the external drive to the some other PC?
    4. Are the files write protected on your external drive?

Meanwhile, try the below troubleshooting steps.

Step 1: Go to the destination folder on your computer, where you are trying to copy the files from your external drive. Let’s create a
    New Folder on your desktop.

Step 2: Double click on New Folder from your desktop and
    Right Click on some blank space and click on Properties
    and go to General tab.

Step 3: Under Attributes, completely uncheck the
    Read-only option. (The box should be blank, check it again if it has a checkmark or a small square inside it).

Step 3: Click on Apply and
    OK

Step 4: Now, open one of the files on your external drive and do the same, i.e.,
    Right Click on a file (NOT THE FOLDER) >
    Properties
    > General and under Attributes, uncheck
    Read-only option.

Step 5: Click on Apply and
    OK

Now, see if you are able to copy this file from your external drive to your computer.

Hope it helps.

Shafeeq_Khan, Nov 25, 2019
  3. Xylee Del Win User
    Regarding copying of files in external drive from pc

Hi,

The message that appeared on your screen may have occurred due to the possible missing files if you'll try to copy it that way. We suggest that you follow these steps on how you can copy the file together with it's properties:

• Right click on the application (Bully) and click Properties.
    • On the application properties window, under the Shortcut tab, click
      Open File Location.
    • The File Location window will open.
    • Select everything. Copy and paste it to the external drive.
    • The copying process may take a while depending on the type of files.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Xylee Del, Nov 25, 2019
  4. Gino Des Win User

Error when I copy paste files on another folder or external drive.

Copy and Paste duplicate files, folders, diirectories

Hi Rick,

A few possible reasons can cause the file conflict dialog box to stop appearing. To help us identify the cause of this issue, we would like to know the following information:

• Do you only experience this issue when copying files to an external drive?
    • Do you experience this issue with a particular folder or file type?
    • Have you installed any third-party add-ins or programs that help you copy files?

In the meantime, let's try to disable the Hide folder merge conflicts option to resolve this issue. Kindly follow the steps below:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Click on View, and select Options in the ribbon.
    • Click the View tab.
    • Under Advanced settings, uncheck Hide folder merge conflicts.
    • Try to copy a directory again to your external drive.

Keep us updated on the status of the issue, and we will be glad to assist you further.

Gino Des, Nov 25, 2019
Thema:

Error when I copy paste files on another folder or external drive.

1. Error when I copy paste files on another folder or external drive. - Similar Threads - Error copy paste

2. Does windows miscount files when I copy and paste a folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does windows miscount files when I copy and paste a folder?: I make backups of a folder with multiple files and subfolders into a destination folder on OneDrive. If I start with an empty folder as the destination, I get no warning about files with the same name as one would expect. But if I do it again I get a warning about files with...
  3. Does windows miscount files when I copy and paste a folder?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Does windows miscount files when I copy and paste a folder?: I make backups of a folder with multiple files and subfolders into a destination folder on OneDrive. If I start with an empty folder as the destination, I get no warning about files with the same name as one would expect. But if I do it again I get a warning about files with...
  4. Copying files/folders from external drive to windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Copying files/folders from external drive to windows: Hi, I have a new windows 11 laptop and am bringing files/folders from my external drive across. Sometimes its a seamless copy and paste. Other times it flashes up "preparing" to copy folder to folder then the pop up window shuts without actually copying and sometimes it just...
  5. Copying files/folders from external drive to windows

Copying files/folders from external drive to windows: Hi, I have a new windows 11 laptop and am bringing files/folders from my external drive across. Sometimes its a seamless copy and paste. Other times it flashes up "preparing" to copy folder to folder then the pop up window shuts without actually copying and sometimes it just...
  6. When I try to copy files or folders from external-to-external drives using file explorer...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When I try to copy files or folders from external-to-external drives using file explorer...: When I try to copy files or folders from external-to-external drives using file explorer windows 11 the files show that they copied but when i check the folders they are empty. Is there a program that I can use and bypass explorer to copy from and to external drives? or if...
  7. When I try to copy files or folders from external-to-external drives using file explorer...

When I try to copy files or folders from external-to-external drives using file explorer...: When I try to copy files or folders from external-to-external drives using file explorer windows 11 the files show that they copied but when i check the folders they are empty. Is there a program that I can use and bypass explorer to copy from and to external drives? or if...
  8. Can't copy and paste files from one hard drive to another. Both drives are NTFS...... Error...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't copy and paste files from one hard drive to another. Both drives are NTFS...... Error...: The title basically explains everything going on here. I am trying to move my FL Studio files to a different drive because it is taking up all my space on my main SSD. I've been searching online all day for information about what is the issue and it seems all people have for...
  9. When I copy or cut some files from one folder and try to paste to another opened folder...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    When I copy or cut some files from one folder and try to paste to another opened folder...: When I copy or cut some files from one folder and try to paste to another opened folder window by right clicking by mouse, the right-click menu comes and goes off within a fraction of a second, and I need to right click again to open it!...
  10. Copy/Paste Screenshots folder to external drive - windows bug?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Copy/Paste Screenshots folder to external drive - windows bug?: I copied the ..\Pictures\Screenshots folder to an external drive to backup the files in the directory. As expected the new directory on the external drive was named "Screenshots". I believed I could change the name of the folder on the external drive, and safely know it...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. error when pasting file externally altered