Windows 10: Error when opening file location from a shortcut in start menu

Discus and support Error when opening file location from a shortcut in start menu in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, I am a newbie in software development. I was learning a few languages and installed some IDEs on my system. But then the context menu options "Open... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Muhammad_Umair_523, Jul 23, 2021.

1. Error when opening file location from a shortcut in start menu

Hi, I am a newbie in software development. I was learning a few languages and installed some IDEs on my system. But then the context menu options "Open in Visual Studio", "Edit in Pycharm..." started frustrating me so I used Regedit and added Extended into some of the keys I don't know what to call them. But now whenever I click on Open File Location while selecting a start menu shortcut, it shows me this error. And if do this on a shortcut elsewhere it works as before. I know I've messed up. Can someone help me out??Error Message:

:)

Muhammad_Umair_523, Jul 23, 2021
  2. BadBernie Win User

open-file-location for pinned shortcuts: file system error(-214492695)

This happens anytime I select the context menu item "open file location" for a start menu shortcut. Tried several suggestions that were posted for file/folder location problems including sfc, dism, registry but no luck. The error popup is from runtimebroker.exe, but searches for the exe name and error code came up dry here, on google, and in other places.
    Same failure occurs when selecting the show-in-folder item when right-clicking in the edge browser's downloads list.
    However, open file location for all desktop shortcuts gives expected result (no errors). The right folder opens in windows explorer.
    This problem only started happening about a year ago on my desktop (Dell Vostro 220), but has never happened, even now, on my laptop (Dell Inspiron 1545). Both are running Win 10 v1909 build 18363.628. installed from the same media, regularly updated together, and running the same way for 3 years now. I have not been able to determine any changes that were made to the desktop system (or the laptop). It is certainly not disabling, but it is irritating, because a weird problem in one place is often found to be related to a hidden problem elsewhere..
    I have not found this error reported after doing dozens of searches. Anybody else seeing this?
    Maybe my creativity for composing searches is weakening along with several other intellectual capabilities as I approach my 80th birthday.

BadBernie, Jul 23, 2021
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Desktop shortcut is opening application and explorer window location

Hi Lyle, probably best to just create a new shortcut . . .

On your Start Menu, in the alphabetical list of installed apps, locate that application

Right click and choose More - Open File Location

Right click the resulting file and choose Send to Desktop (create shortcut)

Delete the old shortcut

DaveM121, Jul 23, 2021
  4. Bree Win User

Error when opening file location from a shortcut in start menu

Open file location is missing in pinned apps

No, that's not the sort of 'file location' the OP is referring to. Your 'file location' opens File Explorer at the location of the shortcut for that app in the Start Menu's Programs folder. The OP wants the list of recently opened files, or the Jump List as it is known (hover over each one and it shows its file location). Theirs is turned off (and yours by the looks of it).

Error when opening file location from a shortcut in start menu [​IMG]

Thema:

Error when opening file location from a shortcut in start menu

1. Error when opening file location from a shortcut in start menu - Similar Threads - Error opening file

2. "Open file location" opens shortcut location instead of the file location..

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Open file location" opens shortcut location instead of the file location..: I think the title sums up this annoying issue, but I'll elaborate anyway for the sake of clarity:When I right click on a program in the Start menu and click on "Open file location" it should, by right, open the location of the file, but it never does. It always opens the...
  3. "Open file location" opens shortcut location instead of the file location..

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Open file location" opens shortcut location instead of the file location..: I think the title sums up this annoying issue, but I'll elaborate anyway for the sake of clarity:When I right click on a program in the Start menu and click on "Open file location" it should, by right, open the location of the file, but it never does. It always opens the...
  4. Can not open file location, remove from start menu, or uninstall best match shortcut for...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can not open file location, remove from start menu, or uninstall best match shortcut for...: I recently installed Photoshop version 2021, and I want to replace the best match result when I type 'Photoshop' into my search bar. However, when I try to right click the deceased shortcut for Photoshop 2020 to remove it, nothing happens. I click on the shortcut, nothing...
  5. Open File Location for Start Menu icons

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Open File Location for Start Menu icons: On Windows 10 rightclicking a start menu app and clicking on "open file location" doesn't open the files' "actual location" but just a folder in which the shortcut is. You then have to rightclick on that shortcut and click on "open file path" or whatever it is in english to...
  6. File explorer not opening from start menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File explorer not opening from start menu: [ATTACH] I recently changed my Windows 10 theme and now I can't open folders in file explorer from the start menu. It works fine with apps but it just doesn't work with folders. I tried restarting and it still doesn't work. I tried searching for solutions but they were...
  7. open-file-location for pinned shortcuts: file system error(-214492695)

in Windows 10 Support
    open-file-location for pinned shortcuts: file system error(-214492695): This happens anytime I select the context menu item "open file location" for a start menu shortcut. Tried several suggestions that were posted for file/folder location problems including sfc, dism, registry but no luck. The error popup is from runtimebroker.exe, but searches...
  8. Where is the Microsoft Edge's Start Menu shortcut located?

in Browsers and Email
    Where is the Microsoft Edge's Start Menu shortcut located?: So I want to change the Start Menu Tile background colour for Microsoft Edge. By default, it has blueish tile background. I want blackish/greyish tile background. Let me explain my need with the help of this screenshot: [img] See how Microsoft Edge's tile is blueish while...
  9. Where is the Microsoft Edge's Start Menu shortcut located?

in Windows 10 Support
    Where is the Microsoft Edge's Start Menu shortcut located?: So I want to change the Start Menu Tile background colour for Microsoft Edge. By default, it has blueish tile background. I want blackish/greyish tile background. Let me explain my need with the help of this screenshot: [img] See how Microsoft Edge's tile is blueish while...
  10. Unable to open some programs/shortcuts from start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to open some programs/shortcuts from start menu: Hello, So I've been noticing a common issue with upgrading some of my work place's PCs from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I am using the windows media creation tool and for the most part everything goes well during the upgrade, however when I log back into the machine using out...