Windows 10: Error when opening links from external places with Firefox

Discus and support Error when opening links from external places with Firefox in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Windows 10 My default browser is Firefox (running 66.0.5) and I have multiple profiles setup. Whenever I open a link from somewhere like Discord, it... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Firecatmon, May 8, 2019.

1. Error when opening links from external places with Firefox

Windows 10
    My default browser is Firefox (running 66.0.5) and I have multiple profiles setup.
    Whenever I open a link from somewhere like Discord, it will pop up with this error.

Error when opening links from external places with Firefox [​IMG]

Clicking the cross in the top left will close the box without opening the requested link. Clicking "Close Firefox" will restart Firefox and open the link in a new tab along with the tabs which were already open but this can be quite annoying as I may have to find where I was up to in something like a youtube video.

My question is if there is a way for clicking a link in an external application to open in Firefox without opening that dialogue box.

:)

Firecatmon, May 8, 2019
  2. Ejaz Win User

"Close Firefox" error on opening a link

I'm running Windows 10 with Firefox 40.0.3 as my default browser. I'm running multiple Firefox profiles simultaneously, one for development and one for browsing. One of the profiles is set as default. The issue is that whenever I, while having the default profile window open, try to open a link from some other program, I see the following error message

Following screenshot shows the error message that pops up when I, e.g, click "More Skins" in Windows media player. This action is probably meant to open a new Firefox tab.

The same error message pops up when the default profile is running and I try to launch Firefox again (by using its shortcut or Cortana).

Error when opening links from external places with Firefox CLhyr.jpg

Update

I've just realized something that might be vital to resolving this issue. I've the dev profile set as default but whenever I try to open a link from external app while having both profiles' windows open, it tries to open it in the instance running in other (browsing) profile. When I go ahead and click the close button, it display another error that states

Error when opening links from external places with Firefox T99KE.jpg

Ejaz, May 8, 2019
  3. Steve C Win User
    Chrome Load Error from External Link?

Chrome is working fine for normal browsing. I get the 0xc0000142 error when opening Chrome from an external link e.g. the Buy link in Macrium Reflect / Help. The link opens fine if I select Edge as the default browser. I've done the obvious steps of running sfc /scannow and reinstalling Chrome to no effect. Stopping Kaspersky Internet Security stops the error but I can't identify the specific antivirus option causing the problem by turning off/on each antivirus feature. Is there a known fix for this issue? I enclose the error report and error log entry:

Error when opening links from external places with Firefox [​IMG]

Description
    Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe

Problem signature
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: chrome.exe
    Application Version: 54.0.2840.71
    Application Timestamp: 58085902
    Fault Module Name: apphelp.dll
    Fault Module Version: 10.0.14393.0
    Fault Module Timestamp: 578999e1
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 000000000003685b
    OS Version: 10.0.14393.2.0.0.768.101
    Locale ID: 2057
    Additional Information 1: 8c47
    Additional Information 2: 8c4713df7179334d118abb538c5fc700
    Additional Information 3: 5c3a
    Additional Information 4: 5c3aef3c239dbf5ccb1b15fc927bce13

Extra information about the problem
    Bucket ID: 2789c5977b616e4fc7edf7db51b1bc46 (120577957528)

Steve C, May 8, 2019
  4. John Vil Win User

Error when opening links from external places with Firefox

Can't open Outlook links in Edge

Hi,

In order for us to assist you better, kindly answer the questions below:

• Dose this problem occur on a particular website or all the links you try to open from Outlook?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done?

In the meantime, we suggest that you reset Microsoft Edge. Kindly refer to the steps below:

• Open Microsoft Edge.
    • Click on More options […].
    • Click on Settings.
    • Click on ‘Choose what to clear’.
    • Select all of them and click on Clear all.

We look forward for your reply.

John Vil, May 8, 2019
Thema:

Error when opening links from external places with Firefox

1. Error when opening links from external places with Firefox - Similar Threads - Error opening links

2. When I have a link in one note and click on it it automatically opens the link in firefox,...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When I have a link in one note and click on it it automatically opens the link in firefox,...: When I have a link in one note and click on it it automatically opens the link in firefox, rather than chrome. How do I change this? I can't seem to find where I access default apps. Thank you...
  3. When I have a link in one note and click on it it automatically opens the link in firefox,...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When I have a link in one note and click on it it automatically opens the link in firefox,...: When I have a link in one note and click on it it automatically opens the link in firefox, rather than chrome. How do I change this? I can't seem to find where I access default apps. Thank you...
  4. When I have a link in one note and click on it it automatically opens the link in firefox,...

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Links won't open external apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Links won't open external apps: Ok so, I was trying to download a Logitech mic preset from the Logitech G HUB app, it'd open a link on my browser, saying the application was launching, but it doesn't open it, it would even give me the "This site is trying to open LGHUB", I'd click open, nothing. I've tried...
  6. Links won't open external apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Links won't open external apps: Ok so, I was trying to download a Logitech mic preset from the Logitech G HUB app, it'd open a link on my browser, saying the application was launching, but it doesn't open it, it would even give me the "This site is trying to open LGHUB", I'd click open, nothing. I've tried...
  7. Firefox prevents the taskbar from opening

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Firefox prevents the taskbar from opening: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/be_luga [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lr3qfx/firefox_prevents_the_taskbar_from_opening/
  8. BSOD When openning Firefox / Chrome

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD When openning Firefox / Chrome: Hello. Windows 10 recently updated to version 1903 and since then I'm having a BSOD as soon as I open Firefox or Chrome. If I open edge it does open and I can browse find, however after a some random time I get the BSOD. I have tried all I can think of. I updated all the...
  9. Chrome Load Error from External Link?

in Browsers and Email
    Chrome Load Error from External Link?: Chrome is working fine for normal browsing. I get the 0xc0000142 error when opening Chrome from an external link e.g. the Buy link in Macrium Reflect / Help. The link opens fine if I select Edge as the default browser. I've done the obvious steps of running sfc /scannow and...
  10. W10 opens seperate tab for firefox when opening with main firefox icon

in Browsers and Email
    W10 opens seperate tab for firefox when opening with main firefox icon: Hello, lately I've been having an issue where Windows will open a separate tab for Firefox when i open it with the original pinned icon on my task bar.. I've tried opening firefox and unpinning the pinned shortcut and pinning the opened one and restarting firefox and it...