Windows 10: Error when Saving text file to D:

Discus and support Error when Saving text file to D: in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I believe I am administrator but if I try to save a notepad text file, I get A required privilege is not held by the client Can I fix this anyhow?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by James1093, Jun 29, 2021.

1. James1093 Win User

Error when Saving text file to D:

I believe I am administrator but if I try to save a notepad text file, I get A required privilege is not held by the client Can I fix this anyhow? Thanks - - - Updated - - - I managed to find a solution via Google Press Windows key + R, type in regedit and hit Enter.Go to path below and change the DWORD to 0. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System, EnableLUA and set to 0. However, maybe someone can help me with another problem, when i boot up it tells me Administrator The username or password is incorrect. Try again OK I Hit enter and get other stuff on the screen, various users (all me) and a password prompt. If I wait, or hit enter again it eventually makes it to the desktop. Can anyone help me figure out why this is happening. There should be no bloody passwords!

:)

James1093, Jun 29, 2021
  2. Tatty_One Win User

Saves log files ?

You can either read the files in Windows or my preferred method is.....

Download CCcleaner from here...........

CCleaner Professional | Try the world’s most trusted PC cleaner, free!

You can then run cleaner, you will see the log files listed, then if you right click you can save as a text file and then have a read. You may also get an "error reporting" log listed seperatly.

Tatty_One, Jun 29, 2021
  3. No permission to save to D:\ drive

Hi Charlotte,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In order to get clarity on this issue and assist you with appropriate troubleshooting steps, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

• Have you mapped the libraries to the D: drive?
    • Is the issue specific to the subfolder in D: drive?

Try the below methods and check if this helps.

Method 1: Creating New File In D: Drive.

1. Go to D: drive > Right-click on an empty space in D: drive > Click on
      New > Click Text Document.
    2. Give a name to the Text Document and save it and check if you get the same error.

If you don't get any error while saving the file in D: drive and you get this error message only while saving a document in D:\charl\Documents, then follow
    Method 2 to take the ownership of Documents folder, else follow
    Method 3

Method 2: Taking Ownership Of A Particular Folder.

1. Click on Start Menu > Search for Command Prompt >
      Right-click on Command Prompt > Click on Run As Administrator.
    2. Once the Command Prompt is up and running, type the following commands and hit
      Enter after each command.

takeown /f <foldername> /r /d y

icacls <foldername> /grant administrators:F /T

Note: Replace foldername with the path of the folder.

3. Once the above commands are executed successfully,
    restart the computer once, and check if you are able to save the documents in that folder.

Method 3: Check If You Are The Administrator From Netplwiz.

1. Click on the Start menu > Search for Netplwiz > Hit
      Enter.
    2. Click on your user name and click on Properties.
    3. Go to Group Membership tab and choose Administrator > Click on
      Apply > OK.
    4. Once you change this setting, restart the computer once and check for the issue.

Method 3: Disabling Antivirus.

If you have installed any third-party security software, I suggest you to temporarily disable them, restart the computer once, and check for the issue.

Note: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other
    software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Give it a shot and let us know of any changes.

Hope it helps.

Shafeeq_Khan, Jun 29, 2021
  4. 95Viper Win User
Thema:

Error when Saving text file to D:

1. Error when Saving text file to D: - Similar Threads - Error Saving text

2. Error when saving files.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error when saving files.: I recently bought a new windows 11 laptop and I am having problems with an app called LWD mobile. The app works fine, but when I try and save a file to the hard drive or in OneDrive, I get an error that the file could not be created. I can however, save the files to a USB...
  3. Error when saving files.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Error when saving files.: I recently bought a new windows 11 laptop and I am having problems with an app called LWD mobile. The app works fine, but when I try and save a file to the hard drive or in OneDrive, I get an error that the file could not be created. I can however, save the files to a USB...
  4. Cannot save files on my data D.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot save files on my data D.: My computers storage has the windows C which is only 80GB and it's currently almost full because everything on the PC saves to that storage, though I have changed the saving path of every file and folder to the bigger storage dataD - 381 GB. When I open the Data D storage,...
  5. Cannot save files on my data D.

Cannot save files on my data D.: My computers storage has the windows C which is only 80GB and it's currently almost full because everything on the PC saves to that storage, though I have changed the saving path of every file and folder to the bigger storage dataD - 381 GB. When I open the Data D storage,...
  6. IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error when saving files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error when saving files: Hi, I've been getting this blue screen error very occasionally for a while now. It was rare, but lately has been happening more frequently. It happens most often when I'm writing a large number of files, such as batch editing id3 tags. I've also noticed it to happen when...
  7. Cannot save text documents or images files

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot save text documents or images files: Windows 10 Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.685) I am unable to save text files or images like I was sent a image over messenger and I cannot save it. It crashes and aske to close the program or wait. I have already been though this process. Unable to save to desktop Windows...
  8. Windows 10 Saving files to D drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Saving files to D drive: I'm trying to set 1Tb HDD D:\ as location to save files insetad of on 256Gb SSD C:\ on new W.10 system. Using File Explorer and Properties Dialog Box for relevant folders. Following instructions on redirecting 'Documents' to D drive I entered new location as 'D:\' rather...
  9. SAVE TEXT FILE

SAVE TEXT FILE: HOW DO I SAVE A NEW TEXT FILE https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps-appscat_productivity/save-text-file/01f023b9-60d7-41a5-8f09-5291aae54c07
  10. Error when saving file in Classic Paint

Error when saving file in Classic Paint: I have a machine running Windows 10 Pro, version 1703, build 15063-413. The File -> Save function no longer works in Classic Paint. When I try and save the file, I am greeted with the following message. I replaced my name with username....