Windows 10: Error when trying to change owner to my admin user in securities tab

Discus and support Error when trying to change owner to my admin user in securities tab in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; hi, i am having issue where i am not allowed to change the owner of the drive to my admin account. it is currently set to trusted installer.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by tonyong2, Mar 17, 2020.

1. tonyong2 Win User

Error when trying to change owner to my admin user in securities tab

hi,

i am having issue where i am not allowed to change the owner of the drive to my admin account. it is currently set to trusted installer.

regards,

tony Error when trying to change owner to my admin user in securities tab 5aa40687-853a-4900-b393-ff7d407dd502?upload=true.png

:)

tonyong2, Mar 17, 2020

2. User and Admin name under security tab is different

Hi Gaurav,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues with Windows 10. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

The issue could occur if the Full Computer name is same as Users(DESKTOP-DDFFGRM/Users) in security tab.

To assist you better, please provide the information:

• When you say that "when i open security tab", which exact settings have you access to get information regarding user account?
    • Have you made any changes to the Computer prior to the issue?

I suggest you to check the full Computer name in system protection settings.

1. Click on Search bar.

2. Type "Control Panel" without the quotes in the search bar and click on it.

3. Then click on System and Security.

4. Click on System.

5. Then click on System Protection and click on Computer Name
    tab.

6. Check the Full computer name.

I suggest you to send the screenshot of the issue in the next post.

How to include a screenshot in your post:

How to include a screenshot in your post

Reply to us with the information, so that we can assist you better.

Let us know if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Mar 17, 2020
  3. Quitch Win User
    Startup from registry - erroring for users

I want ATI Tool to load on startup so that it can apply its settings as and when apps change. The problem is, ATI Tool is trying to do this with the permissions of the logged in user, and like any security conscious individual, I don't run under an admin account for gaming.

Are there any plans to rectify this through use of a service? I believe RadLinker could successfully change the card clock without admin permissions, though I understand why you'd want to lock down the user from doing anything through the program itself (and it's entirely possible to seperate the two).

Basically, are steps going to be taken in the future away from the assumption that everyone runs as an admin?

Quitch, Mar 17, 2020
  4. Error when trying to change owner to my admin user in securities tab

Unknown User as Owner

Hi Bree, thanks for stepping up to address this issue.
    As far as I know my External Drive has only been used on my PC.

I could try to implement your suggestion and take Ownership of those Folders.
    The "Take Ownership" link is present in my right click menu, but I'm currently logged in with my Microsoft account, so perhaps it would be better if I went Properties --> Security --> Advanced & set the Owner to Administrators, no?!

Although my mind is bugged with a new question now.
    If I change the Owner & later on I have to restore a backup (Acronis on a CD) won't I encounter problems then?

witten1972, Mar 17, 2020
Thema:

Error when trying to change owner to my admin user in securities tab

1. Error when trying to change owner to my admin user in securities tab - Similar Threads - Error trying change

2. Error messages when trying to change admin permissions.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error messages when trying to change admin permissions.: Windows 11, desktop PC. Just purchased PC. Tried using an external plug-in dvd drive. I inserted the software disk into the drive and the setup.exe file would not auto-run. Received the following error message:"An administrator has blocked you from running this application....
  3. Error messages when trying to change admin permissions.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Error messages when trying to change admin permissions.: Windows 11, desktop PC. Just purchased PC. Tried using an external plug-in dvd drive. I inserted the software disk into the drive and the setup.exe file would not auto-run. Received the following error message:"An administrator has blocked you from running this application....
  4. Owner change to Domain Admins on Enterprise Workstations

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Owner change to Domain Admins on Enterprise Workstations: Is there a GP that will allow owner change on many 300 workstations... and have that selected as a Default when a computer is staged: At least to change in bulk - and not 1:1. 1. Right-click on the PC object and choose 'Security' tab.2. Look towards the bottom right hand side...
  5. Owner change to Domain Admins on Enterprise Workstations

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Owner change to Domain Admins on Enterprise Workstations: Is there a GP that will allow owner change on many 300 workstations... and have that selected as a Default when a computer is staged: At least to change in bulk - and not 1:1. 1. Right-click on the PC object and choose 'Security' tab.2. Look towards the bottom right hand side...
  6. Owner change to Domain Admins on Enterprise Workstations

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. Changed only user from Admin to device owner, now my account is classified as a guest.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Changed only user from Admin to device owner, now my account is classified as a guest.: I typed the command netplwiz, and changed my only user from admin to device owner. I figured this would give me more access to the computer, but instead, I'm now considered a guest user. I cannot perform anything that requires admin rights. Is there any way to fix this...
  8. Changed only user from Admin to device owner, now my account is classified as a guest.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Changed only user from Admin to device owner, now my account is classified as a guest.: I typed the command netplwiz, and changed my only user from admin to device owner. I figured this would give me more access to the computer, but instead, I'm now considered a guest user. I cannot perform anything that requires admin rights. Is there any way to fix this...
  9. "This security ID may not be assigned as the owner of this object", when trying to create...

in Windows 10 Customization
    "This security ID may not be assigned as the owner of this object", when trying to create...: Hi, I, and a couple of other members in our IT Team who are in the "Domain Administrators" group in active directory have been trying unsuccessfully to create a new GPO in the GPMC. Delegation is set to allow Domain Admins to create a new GPO, but whenever we try, we're...
  10. I can't change the name of the owner on my Pendrive in the advanced security tab

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I can't change the name of the owner on my Pendrive in the advanced security tab: [ATTACH]I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING, seriously... EVERYTHING!!!! 1- Normal format 2- CMD (with admin) format 3- third party programs to format 4- disk management change letter and format 5- write protection 0 etc. Nothing WORKED. The problem happened when i was transferring my...