Windows 10: Error when trying to reformat Windows 10

Discus and support Error when trying to reformat Windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I'm trying to reformat my windows 10 and i'm getting errors no matter what i do. I dont care about the data on the laptop, i got it at... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by truwrxtacy, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Error when trying to reformat Windows 10

Hello everyone, I'm trying to reformat my windows 10 and i'm getting errors no matter what i do. I dont care about the data on the laptop, i got it at a garage sale.

when i click reset my PC

- Keep my files: "The Drive where Windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again."
    - Remove Everything: "There was a problem resetting your PC."

then i tried the windows creation tool that was on the forum.

i choose use a device and pick my usb that i made with windows creation tool.

i click the install now option, accept the term. When i click custom install, it says We coudln't find any drives. To get a storage driver click load driver.

:)

truwrxtacy, Oct 24, 2016

2. 202 event error - file history doesn't recognize

I have an old seagate external drive that gives me a 202 event error when trying to use it for file history - do I need to reformat the drive?

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Files, folders, & storage

Robert H. Black, Oct 24, 2016
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Trying to reformat

Start your PC, then just after the Manufacturers logo disappears and Windows 10 tries to boot, press and hold the power button down for 5 - 10 seconds to perform a hard shut down

Do this Twice

On the third boot attempt, Windows will boot into the Windows 10 Repair Environment, from there you can access Startup Recovery, Safe Mode, Command Prompt . . . etc.

Go to Troubleshooting - Advanced Options - Reset this PC

When asked choose to keep nothing, this will be the exact same as a clean installation of Windows 10 and without the bother of reformatting and having to get installation media

DaveM121, Oct 24, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

Error when trying to reformat Windows 10

You don't say HOW you are trying to format but you can't do it when booted into/running Windows, has to be done from another source such as a bootable CD or DVD. I use the free GPARTED LiveCD to do it, has a form of Linux and can be used to both Delete then Create partitions the Format them as desired. Or if you have a bootable Windows install disc you could use it to both wipe out the partition and install. You'll need the Product Key if it's Win7 or earlier, if Win8 or newer may be in the BIOS.

Berton, Oct 24, 2016
  5. I do not have a bootable CD, its a Ultrabook, does not a CD ROM, I used the windows media creation tool to put the image onto the USB drive. Sorry if i'm misunderstanding your question, when i purchased the laptop it had a password on it, they said it was their kids and have no clue about anything except its a laptop. So i'm just trying to wipe everything out and use it.

I think maybe the computer is not finding the storage? Because when it ask "where do you want to install windows?" there is nothing there. I run Diskpart and list disk, it shows only 1 disk, which is Disk 0 59GB which is my bootable usb stick. So maybe its not finding the HD? from my research online its suppose to have a 126gb SSD

truwrxtacy, Oct 24, 2016
  6. Bree New Member
    That doesn't narrow it down much, it's like saying it's a desktop or a laptop, more a description of the size and form.

What make and model is it?

7. o sorry its a latitude 7370 M7

truwrxtacy, Oct 24, 2016
  8. Error when trying to reformat Windows 10

So it seems like the Bios see the SDD. When i am in my bios and i look under device information it shows

SATA-0 = (none)
    M.2 PCIe SSD-0 = S29NNX0H518690

but when i try to reinstall windows it still does not show nothing in terms of where i can install it.

truwrxtacy, Oct 25, 2016
  9. Bree New Member
    According to the 'Dell Latitude 7370 Owner's Manual' there may be a password on the SSD....
    ...and you can bypass it, if necessary.

https://cdn.cnetcontent.com/e9/cd/e9...3996bbb1a6.pdf

10. i tried both settings, i did disabled, and reboot bypass, and when i try to install windows 10, the drive still does not show up.

not sure if this helps any but when i'm at the window and i press shift F10

i do Disk List and list Disk

it shows only 1 disk

disk 0 online 59gb (which is my usb thumb drive)

nothing else

truwrxtacy, Oct 25, 2016
  11. so a friend said that the issue could be because the SSD is connected via m2 pcie format. how do i fix that

truwrxtacy, Oct 25, 2016
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    I would try booting the computer from Kyhi's recovery drive:
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums

If the SSD in the computer can be seen in Kyhi's recovery environment, then you can mount a Windows 10 installation ISO file, run setup.exe fromn the mounted ISO file and, hopefully, install Windows 10 that way.

NavyLCDR, Oct 25, 2016
  13. Error when trying to reformat Windows 10

You say in post3 that you want to wipe everything and re-use.If so,then use Dban to erase the drive and then install.

joeandmarg0, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Error when trying to reformat Windows 10

1. Error when trying to reformat Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Error trying reformat

2. Trying to reformat my windows drive.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Trying to reformat my windows drive.: About a year and a 1/2 ago I wiped my computer. But while doing so, my C drive was 1 TB and it got formatted into 400 GB. I just wiped my computer again. And I'm trying to make my c drive back to A Terabyte. No matter what I do I can't wipe it or reformat it. And I don't know...
  3. Error when trying to install Windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Error when trying to install Windows 10: I try to run my setup on my windows 10 pc and it tells me that it cannot find the specified path or file. I may not have appropriate permissions to run the setup. Please what should I do? ***Modified title from: Ibrahim***...
  4. Error when trying to upgrade to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Error when trying to upgrade to Windows 10: Hi all, I've been trying to upgrade Windows 7 home to windows 10 for a few days now and it keeps failing part way through with the error code '0x800707E7 - 0x3000D' and I can't work out what I need to do to fix it I'm not sure which logs would be useful or where to find...
  5. Trying to reformat old boot drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Trying to reformat old boot drive: Running Win10 1909 64 bit. I replaced my old 1TB HDD with a 1TB SSD. I'd like to format the old 1TB HDD and use it to replace my 640GB HDD "D" drive. So, I plugged in the old HDD and booted. Came up with a bluescreen that asked said I needed to go back to change the BIOS. The...
  6. Error when Windows 10 is trying to update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Error when Windows 10 is trying to update: When I reboot my PC, I receive an error message: "unable to complete updates. Undoing changes" . I haven’t been able to install the following updates because of this error. КВ4535669, КВ4486153, КВ4534273. Updating stops with error code 0х800F0922...
  7. Error when trying to install Windows 10

Error when trying to install Windows 10: I tried to get windows 10 for my windows 7 because of A: why not and B https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/windows/end-of-windows-7-support and I tried to upgrade yatta yatta yatta blah blah blah but then I ran into this "Windows 10 Cannot Be Installed Error(s)...
  8. reformatting windows 10

reformatting windows 10: Hi i may need to reformat my pc and was wondering where i can download windows 10 as it was a free upgrade from windows 8 and would i just use the windows 8 code i have?...
  9. Windows 10 reformat error

Windows 10 reformat error: You When I do a windows 10 system restart it runs for about half way through the download then I get an error that says: windows could not configure one or more components. To install windows restart the computer then restart the installation From there I click okay...
  10. Reformatting Windows 10

Reformatting Windows 10: Hey guys, i tried googling this but couldn't find any solid answers. I want to reformat my computer, usually i do the old school boot from windows 10 through cd or usb, format the hardrives and reinstall windows that way. I discovered however Windows 10 has a...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. reformatting windows 10 error