Windows 10: error when trying to restore a system image backup. It says backup was created with BIOS...

Discus and support error when trying to restore a system image backup. It says backup was created with BIOS... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I had a processor fail causing my MBR to be corrupted. I did not have an SRD for this system. I downloaded Windows 10 Pro 64 bit from your site. I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JimGager, Dec 26, 2018.

1. JimGager Win User

error when trying to restore a system image backup. It says backup was created with BIOS...

I had a processor fail causing my MBR to be corrupted. I did not have an SRD for this system. I downloaded Windows 10 Pro 64 bit from your site. I have a good backup of the system but version 1809 of Windows will not perform a system image restore. I download windows 10 Pro 64 bit version 1803 to resolve the restore problem. Now what I get is an error message sayin Windows cannot restore a system image to a computer that has different firmware. The system image was created on a computer using BIOS and this computer is using EFI. Please help me get my original files restored. Thank you.

:)

JimGager, Dec 26, 2018
  2. Clark Ari Win User

Restore a System Image Backup

Hi Kirk,

One of the possible reasons why this issue occurs is when the System Image Backup that you'd like to restore is corrupted. We would like to know more about the issue so we can assist you better. Please answer the following questions:

• How did you create your system image backup?
    • Can you provide us the screenshot of the exact error message?
    • Is your USB device readable to other PCs?
    • What are the contents of the USB device? Can you provide us the screenshot of it?

We're looking forward to your response.

Clark Ari, Dec 26, 2018
  3. twilyth Win User
    Backup utility

Cobian backup will do file backups locally or to ftp, with or without encryption and compression. However it doesn't do image backups, which is really what you need if want to fully restore your system.

I've used the W7 back up program and Acronis a few times to restore a system and both work great. With Acronis though, you need to burn the recovery cd they suggest FOR EACH and EVERY machine you use it on.

One problem with W7 backup is that seems to break easily. On one machine I did an upgrade re-install and the backup utility doesn't work. No luck in trouble shooting it either. So I now rely on Acronis exclusively for image backups. But I use Cobian for file backups to ftp.

twilyth, Dec 26, 2018
  4. error when trying to restore a system image backup. It says backup was created with BIOS...

Restore a System Image Backup

I created a Windows 10 System Image backup of my SSD drive, and stored it on a 64GB USB stick prior to sending my computer in for repair. Of course, the SSD was needlessly wiped and reset to factory defaults, so now I want to restore the system image.
    Unfortunately, I can't get Windows to recognize the USB nor a copy of that image on a hard drive during the "select an image" process. In addition, I copied that backup to a NAS device and tried to get the restore software to recognize that, but it just keeps
    giving me the same error.

I've tried using the advanced startup to select an image both from within Windows 10 as well as via booting from a USB stick that was loaded with the Windows 10 media tools. The same errors and dialogs are presented.

What are the steps to replace the factory image with my backed up system image?

Unfortunately, the system image is not bootable since that would make too much sense.

Kirk Hutchinson, Dec 26, 2018
Thema:

error when trying to restore a system image backup. It says backup was created with BIOS...

1. error when trying to restore a system image backup. It says backup was created with BIOS... - Similar Threads - error trying restore

2. Create A System Image Backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Create A System Image Backup: I'm trying to create a system image backup of my Windows 10 machine in case something goes wrong with one of its components, and unfortunately it says "Backup failed. Not enough disk space.". This is despite the fact that my external hard drive has 2.34 TB of free disk space,...
  3. Create A System Image Backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Create A System Image Backup: I'm trying to create a system image backup of my Windows 10 machine in case something goes wrong with one of its components, and unfortunately it says "Backup failed. Not enough disk space.". This is despite the fact that my external hard drive has 2.34 TB of free disk space,...
  4. Create A System Image Backup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Create a backup system image

Create a backup system image: Having a real issue with creating a backup system image on my wife's laptop.The last one was created January 23, 2022 with no problems but we have tried about five times and it completes to about 97% and then stalls. Looking at it, the backup is shown as still working but we...
  6. Create a backup system image

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Create a backup system image: Having a real issue with creating a backup system image on my wife's laptop.The last one was created January 23, 2022 with no problems but we have tried about five times and it completes to about 97% and then stalls. Looking at it, the backup is shown as still working but we...
  7. Create a backup system image

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Is it possible to create and restore a backup without a system image?

Is it possible to create and restore a backup without a system image?: I have wasted a week trying to backup my computer because I've been warned the hard drive will fail. Every time I get to 97% - which takes a day - it stalls. I have run chkdsk - also one day - and found some problems. I have a feeling each time I run it and each time I...
  9. Create backup system image

Create backup system image: Trying to back up my hard drive as a "system image". I see the option in the videos, but when I click on Settings, Backup, the "system image" option is not there. It just says "save these files" and lists a bunch of data files. How to create a system image? The Microsoft...
  10. Can I create system image backup on a system image backup?

Can I create system image backup on a system image backup?: When i first installed Windows 10, and had all the drivers running, and minimal apps installed, i created a system image backup at that point, so if one day something goes wrong, and all else fails, i can restore to that point in time. This is backed up on an HDD, and we...