Windows 10: error while attempting to boot from external HDD

Discus and support error while attempting to boot from external HDD in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello I've cloned my drive to a HDD and get the stopcode INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE_ when I try to boot from the external hdd. I've disconnected all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by verds22, Nov 25, 2020.

1. verds22 Win User

error while attempting to boot from external HDD

Hello

I've cloned my drive to a HDD and get the stopcode INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE_ when I try to boot from the external hdd. I've disconnected all other devices, updated bios, and changed boot priority to try and fix the problem. Both drives are GPT.

I've seen some people say that it's not possible to boot from an external drive and support said that I would need to do a clean install because of hardware compatibility. Although there must be another way around this problem especially if it's was scaled to multiple devices, it would not be feasible to do clean installs for each device.

Can anybody help with booting through the external drive?

:)

verds22, Nov 25, 2020

2. Boot from external USB HDD

Hello!

Any laptop should be able to Be booted from an external HDD.

You can check this back accessing your BIOS and then checking if the BIOS gives you an option to boot from USB.

If that option is listed, then you're good to go!

Zackary Vanosdol, Nov 25, 2020
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Laptop won't boot with new external hard drive attached.

The problem is probably in your BIOS . . .

• Plug in the external HDD
    • Boot into BIOS
    • Make sure the external drive is not above your internal HDD in the boot order list
    • Enable or disable USB Legacy Boot, whichever setting allows your system to boot with the external HDD plugged in . . .

DaveM121, Nov 25, 2020
  4. Robfusc8 Win User

Quirky behaviour with external HDD

Hi,

In response to your questions

• Are all of the external drives from the same manufacturer?
    Yes, they are all Seagate SRDO0F1 of 500GB

• Have you attempted to restart the computer that could not read the external drive and also try to connect the external drive to a different port on the computer after testing the external drive on another computer?
    Yes to both, neither worked.

• Were there any recent changes made or updates installed prior to the issue occurring?
    No. PC-B is not permanently connected to the 'net.

I have used to 'Device manager' to check if there is an identified driver problem - nothing is flagged - and I would not expect one HDD to work, and the other not to, if there was a driver problem

Robfusc8, Nov 25, 2020
Thema:

1. error while attempting to boot from external HDD - Similar Threads - error while attempting

2. Not booting windows 10 from external HDD in other PC

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Not booting windows 10 from external HDD in other PC: Here is a scenario i am facing right now. I had hdd in my laptop with windows 10 with 4 partitions along with system reserved. I repalced hdd with ssd and got an enclosure for the hdd. I got another laptop that had win 10 running in it but its hdd got corrupted and i threw it...
  3. External HDD error while copying

External HDD error while copying: Hi!I just bought a new external HDD, to make a second copy of everything I have in my PC. First, I tried to copy folders from a HDD to the other, but everytime it would crash 30 seconds after.I tried to copy the files from the HDD back into the PC where they were originally...
  4. External HDD error while copying

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External HDD error while copying: Hi!I just bought a new external HDD, to make a second copy of everything I have in my PC. First, I tried to copy folders from a HDD to the other, but everytime it would crash 30 seconds after.I tried to copy the files from the HDD back into the PC where they were originally...
  5. External HDD error while copying

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Laptop not booting from external HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop not booting from external HDD: I cloned the contents of my m.2 SSD (including my OS) to an external HDD because I wanted to swap the SSD for a faster one. The problem is that when I boot the laptop just with the external HDD, I get error code 0xc000025. Anyone who came across this issue? Would appreciate...
  7. Error booting from external drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Error booting from external drive: Hello. So i cloned my ssd to an external hdd and when i try to boot from the external hdd i get a stopcode INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error. Talked to windows support and they said it’s a hardware compatibility issue but i’d like a few other opinions if possible. It doesn’t...
  8. external HDD will not boot

external HDD will not boot: I have 3- Seagate 8TB external HDD. I was the Windows disk cleaning to recover space. deleting temp files, unused files, etc. I have used this tool before and it is pretty straight forward. the disk cleaning finished I turned the computer off as I normally do. the next day...
  9. Can't boot from USB while HDD is connected

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't boot from USB while HDD is connected: I'm trying to boot a non-working-windows laptop from an external HDD with bootable windows installation in order to access repair tools, and it is working fine as it is tested on a working machine. The boot order in BIOS is fine, the external HDD is set as the 1st priority...
  10. boot multiple OS from external HDD

in Windows 10 Support
    boot multiple OS from external HDD: Hi, first, i really do not know where should i place this post so it´s here. ok, i bought new external USB hard drive, and created 4 partitions. 1. windows 7 to go 2. windows 10 to go 3. multiboot linux tools created with YUMI. 4. normal data for movies etc......