Windows 10: Error while shrinking a volume!!!

Discus and support Error while shrinking a volume!!! in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, Today, while I was shrinking one of my disk partition in disk management option, I received an error saying"An unexpected error has occurred.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Avi aVi Avi, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Error while shrinking a volume!!!

Hello,

Today, while I was shrinking one of my disk partition in disk management option, I received an error saying"An unexpected error has occurred. check the system event log for more information. close the disk management console and restart it." I tried restarting it but it wasn't helpful. can anyone please help me.

:)

Avi aVi Avi, Nov 28, 2018

2. Disk Management Shrink Volume wrong capacity

I have 6 partitions on my hard drive. Under Disk Management, when I select a partition and then "Shrink" all but one shows the total capacity correctly, along with the amount to shrink and then the remaining that will be left. However on one partition, when selecting shrink, the total capacity is the sum of the total plus the free, and not just the total capacity. As such, I cannot shrink this volume without an error. The capacity is about 350GB with the free about 200GB. When I select shrink, the total of the volume shows 550GB instead of 350GB. The correct capacity of 350GB shows correctly on the Disk Management listing and boxes on the initial screen and also under Properties on the File Manager. It is only when selecting the shrink option that it shows 550GB.

Coastalguy, Nov 28, 2018
  3. Marc9118 Win User
    Need help shrinking a volume

Hi all. I've finally came to the conclusion that I need help with something as I am getting quite frustrated. I'm trying to dual boot windows xp that has vista already preinstalled on it. The problem that I am having is that by the website that I am using to follow the instructions for the dual boot process, I am running into a problem with shrinking the volume feature on windows vista. I beleive that I am running a raid partition because I have two hard drives that came with the computer and it is only showing as one. I am receiving an error everytime I try to shrink the volume. When I right click on the drive that I would like to shrink to make room for windows xp, i am getting the error Request not supported. I've attatched a picture to this post that shows the error message. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Marc9118, Nov 28, 2018
  4. Error while shrinking a volume!!!

undo partition shrink

Hi,

If you accidentally shrink the volume of your SSD partition, there is an option to extend the volume as well. To extend the volume of your SSD partition, follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X on your keyboard and select Disk Management.
    • Right-click the partition that you want to expand and click Extend Volume.
    • Select the amount of space that you want to extend.

Keep us in the loop with the result.

Gerard Qui, Nov 28, 2018
Thema:

Error while shrinking a volume!!!

1. Error while shrinking a volume!!! - Similar Threads - Error while shrinking

2. can not shrink volume on drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can not shrink volume on drive: when i try to shrink the drive the option to shrink volume is not there but when i try do the same on windows c: it works perfectly fine, the option to shrink the drive is grey and wont let me click on it istead of being black, https://i.postimg.cc/W3Yr625V/111.png - this is...
  3. can not shrink volume on drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    can not shrink volume on drive: when i try to shrink the drive the option to shrink volume is not there but when i try do the same on windows c: it works perfectly fine, the option to shrink the drive is grey and wont let me click on it istead of being black, https://i.postimg.cc/W3Yr625V/111.png - this is...
  4. Shrinking volume of c drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Shrinking volume of c drive: On shrinking volume off c drive free space:600+ gb, the available size for shrinking is 200 mb only . I have tried defragmenting but nothing happened. I want to create a new partition but the max size available for that is only 200 mb. Help!!!!...
  5. volume shrink help

in Windows 10 Customization
    volume shrink help: i bought new laptop with win 10 it has SSD 521gb but it has only one drive which is c: which has windows how can i make other drives d and e out of it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/volume-shrink-help/3cc44158-3f66-4958-8528-aebf20296719
  6. cant shrink volume

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    cant shrink volume: got a dual boot system with ubuntu, want to shrink volume so i can give ubuntu more space but cant(despite having 200gb space). tried using 3rd party software but they all require a lisence. is there any way to fix this problem without paying for 3rd party software?...
  7. Shrinking a volume

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Shrinking a volume: I'm having trouble trying to shrink a volume on an external hard drive. The Disk Management dialog window asks for the number of megabytes I want to reduce. Every time I try a number I get a "wrong perameter" error. Why?...
  8. Unable to Shrink Volume

Unable to Shrink Volume: Just got an ASUS laptop. In Disk Management I want to shrink C: a small amount and use the partition for my data. But, regardless of what value I put in Enter the amount of space to shrink in MB I get The parameter is incorrect The size that is available to shrink is 45032...
  9. Need Help With Shrink Volume!

Need Help With Shrink Volume!: Hello everyone! I was trying to dual boot windows 10 and ubuntu and before i can do that i have to make a partition for it and i have a hard drive in my laptop that is over 220 GB big but when i go to create a partition it says the biggest i can make the partition is 6 GB!!!...
  10. shrinking volume with OS on it

shrinking volume with OS on it: Howdy, I've inherited a desktop with Windows 10 installed on a 1TB, single partition drive. For better or worse I belong to the "partitions" school, and would like to partition this physical drive into 2 or maybe even 3 logical partitions. From what I've found thus...