Windows 10: Error with opening Word & Excel docs downloaded from email after recent Windows 10 update

Discus and support Error with opening Word & Excel docs downloaded from email after recent Windows 10 update in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Following the recent Windows Update, I now have a problem with opening Word & Excel and possibly other Office documents contained in emails. It makes... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by PaulaZymela, Mar 12, 2021.

1. Error with opening Word & Excel docs downloaded from email after recent Windows 10 update

Following the recent Windows Update, I now have a problem with opening Word & Excel and possibly other Office documents contained in emails. It makes no difference if I try and open them directly from the email, save them to my hard drive and try to open from Explorer, or open up Word and then try to open the file. The error message is "Word experienced an error trying to open the file. Try these suggestions: Check file permissions / Make sure there is sufficient free memory / Open with Text Recovery converter."

Problem was raised on the forum back in 2015 and the issue is that the downloaded file has been set to "Blocked". Solution is to save file to hard drive, right click & select Properties, then check the "Unblock" file. This is unacceptable as a long-term solution and a fix needs to be issued!

:)

PaulaZymela, Mar 12, 2021

2. Windows 10 installed, any word or excel docs sent by email unable to be opened

Following windows 10 upgrade, a meaasge appears when trying to open word, excel docs sent via email. Message states experienced an error trying to open file. I can still open old files I created previously to upgrade.

DerekShirley, Mar 12, 2021
  3. Cannot open WORD of EXCEL email attachments

• Since switch to Windows 10 from 7 I have not been able to open Word or Excel docs that are attached to emails.
    • I get 'This file is corrupt and cannot be opened' or Word experienced an error trying to open this file'
    • I cannot save these files although jpeg files can be opened
    • I use Windows Live Mail, NHSmail (a secure NHS system) and also TalkTalk webmail for an old Tiscali address
    • I have tried DCOMCNFG procedure but this does not change any settings as they are already in the recommended setting
    • If I attach a document (Word or Excel) to my own email and then try to open the document (from the e-mail) before sending it the computer comes up with the error statements in 2 above
    • The only way around this is if I forward a received email (with attachment) to a friend who then opens the attachment and saves it to memory stick. If I then plug the stick into my computer I can open the document and save it to my computer.
    • Please help, I've already wasted a day!

ChrisGosling, Mar 12, 2021
  4. Error with opening Word & Excel docs downloaded from email after recent Windows 10 update

Cannot open WORD of EXCEL email attachments

The answer is not helpful. How does one get from the Control Panel in Windows 10 to Microsoft Office in order to "repair" it?

"Upgrading" to Microsoft 10 before it was thoroughly de-bugged may be a major mistake,

Philip1025, Mar 12, 2021
Thema:

Error with opening Word & Excel docs downloaded from email after recent Windows 10 update

1. Error with opening Word & Excel docs downloaded from email after recent Windows 10 update - Similar Threads - Error opening Word

2. Scan Downloaded Word Doc

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Scan Downloaded Word Doc: I have Word 2016, and I'd like to scan a downloaded Word document. My antivirus scans downloads from my friends' emails, and I rely on that, but it doesn't scan a Word document when I download one. Of course the antivirus provider says they catch anything in their regular...
  3. opening a word doc

in Windows 10 Customization
    opening a word doc: since purchasing and installing Adobe, When I open a document in word i have about 3 signs coming up - eg: File not found: /Library/Application Support/Adobe/MACPDFM/MacPDFM.framework/Versions/A/MacPDFM How do I stop this?...
  4. Downloading Word and Excel

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Downloading Word and Excel: I would like to download Word and Excel to my laptop, currently I have the basic Microsoft Office. How can I do this for free, without the added nonsense that comes with it when I go through Microsoft Store. Preferably free of course....
  5. Excel/Word doc opens after Windows 10 startup

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Excel/Word doc opens after Windows 10 startup: I have a user with this same problem as asked previously. When they log into their computer running Windows 10, a blank Excel spreadsheet opens. Occasionally it will be 2 Excel spreadsheets or more. Previous question ...there's nothing in startup folders, run registry,...
  6. cannot download and open doc from email

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    cannot download and open doc from email: cannot download and open doc from email https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-download-and-open-doc-from-email/3579d8ee-619a-4ebf-b6b1-d521da36bb16"
  7. Recent docs keep coming back (Word, Excel icons on taskbar items)

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Recent docs keep coming back (Word, Excel icons on taskbar items): Apparently a registry tweak is needed to have Windows 10 remove unwanted list of docs (when right-clicking on Word/Excel icons on taskbar). Just haven't found the tweak yet and afaik, the guy at Microsoft forums who posted such as response is gone to timbuktoo.*sarc 136235
  8. how to open this doc as word doc?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to open this doc as word doc?: This document was originally opened as a notepad document, so it opens that way always. I would like to change it to a Word document. Is that possible?...
  9. Unable to Open Word, Excel or PDF files from email attachments

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to Open Word, Excel or PDF files from email attachments: I am using Chrome as my browser. No attachments will open from email! So even when I save these files and even rename the files, no attachments are opening. I keep getting messages that the files are corrupt or that the file name and association don't match (which is not...
  10. Since upgrading to 10, cannot open word 2003 .doc from email link

in Browsers and Email
    Since upgrading to 10, cannot open word 2003 .doc from email link: I upgraded my laptop before attempting my main PC. On the laptop I have received an email with a simple .doc file attached. When I click on it I get the message there is a problem sending the command to the program This never happened in Windows 8.1. I have tried...