Windows 10: Error- You need to install at least 2gb of RAM...

Discus and support Error- You need to install at least 2gb of RAM... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My pc has 8 gb of ram. I have gone into the BIOS and turned on default settings to see if that fixes it (it doesn't). Attempting to install off of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by hiricine, Jul 29, 2015.

1. hiricine Win User

Error- You need to install at least 2gb of RAM...

My pc has 8 gb of ram. I have gone into the BIOS and turned on default settings to see if that fixes it (it doesn't).

Attempting to install off of a flash drive. Trying to boot off of a flash drive instructs me to install while in windows if I want to keep programs/settings (I do). Have not tried installing without saving things would preferably not do it that way.

:)

hiricine, Jul 29, 2015
  2. Hiricine Win User

You need to install at least 2gb of ram windows 10

The setup tool stops to inform me that my pc with 8 gigs of ram needs 2 gigs to run/install windows 10. I have updated my bios, put my bios on default settings, and am still out of ideas how to get the updater to check my RAM correctly. Any other ideas
    how to get it to work?

Hiricine, Jul 29, 2015
  3. N Short Win User
    You need to install at least 2gb of ram windows 10

Short Answer - Pull your second ram stick and place it in the slot right next to the first one.

After extensive googling I found that the Windows 10 Installer is most likely using a Window Management Instrumentation command to get total ram capacity.

Windows 10 install - Not enough memory

Use WMI To Find Out RAM Slot In Used And Memory Size Of Each Slot

Using command as administrator i ran "wmic memorychip get capacity" which would only report 1GB (1073741824) of my RAM, Even though I have 4GB installed. wmic was showing that bank 0/1 together as 1GB, which led me to believe that my motherboard was only
    reporting up to 1gb per bank in dual channel mode. I puled my second chip from dual channel position, and placed it right by the first stick, so instead of slot 0/1, my RAM was now in slot 0/2. My system now reports bank 0/1 as 1GB, and Bank 2/3 as 1GB for
    a total of 2GB.

Now magically the "Get windows 10 App" showed up in the tray. I assume that this is an issue with the BIOS of this older pc (Abit AB9 Pro, C2D e6300, 4GB) based on the p965 chipset, accurately passing RAM info to the O/S. I built this PC back in the glory
    days of XP, and it is still a solid machine.

N Short, Jul 29, 2015
  4. Windowz10 Win User

Sounds like to obtain all your settings it must have your original Windows running to do the upgrade.

People have booted to Windows and not the dvd/flash drive, then run the exe off the dvd/flash drive while in Windows.

You will have to do this anyway since it's the only way to get your free Windows 10 upgrade activated.

Windowz10, Jul 29, 2015
  5. hiricine Win User
    Well that brings me back to the first problem--- the windows 10 setup insists I need 2gb of Ram when i have FAR more than that.

hiricine, Jul 29, 2015
  6. bobkn Win User
    If you fill in your system specs, you may get better help.

I suppose that all 8GB of RAM shows in your Win 7 installation. What version is it? Is the Win 10 upgrade version on the USB drive the appropriate version? (You need Win 10 home for Win 7 Home premium. For Win 7 Pro or Ultimate, use Pro. You can only upgrade an X64 Win 7 with an X64 Win 10. You don't need the N versions.) I doubt that you've gotten the wrong version, but in the absence of detail...

The only way you can activate the free Win 10 upgrade is to install it over an activated copy of Win 7 or 8.1. (You also have to keep all applications, files, and settings.) After you've done that once, you can clean install on the same hardware (boot from the USB thumb drive) and it will activate.

bobkn, Jul 30, 2015
  7. hiricine Win User
    Updated my info a bit. Never checked it before but in system information I get a "not available" under "installed physical Memory (RAM)". Don't recall exactly what I put in there but I'm beginning to think that might be the problem.

hiricine, Jul 30, 2015
  8. Error- You need to install at least 2gb of RAM...

You can use this to find everything in your PC. It is free.
    Belarc Advisor - Free Personal PC Audit, for software, hardware and security configuration information on your computer. Software license management, IT asset management, cyber security audits, and more.

COMPUTIAC Guest, Jul 30, 2015
  9. Antilope Win User
    I once had a pc where one of the simms wasn't seated all the way into the simm slot and didn't register in bios. Reseating the simm did the trick.

Antilope, Jul 30, 2015
  10. hiricine Win User
    Well I put a little more in there, even that doesn't really have any insight to what kind of RAM I've put in there

I have tried that with no avail. Was thinking of just borrowing a new one or buying new one(s) to see if theres any improvement.

hiricine, Jul 30, 2015
  11. I have to ask, Did you run Belarc ?
    It always pick's everything up.

12. hiricine Win User
    I did run Belarc

As far as the "memory" section goes, if thats pertinent

7424 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM1' has 32 MB
    Slot 'DIMM2' has 32 MB
    Slot 'DIMM3' is Empty
    Slot 'DIMM4' is Empty

hiricine, Jul 30, 2015
  13. Error- You need to install at least 2gb of RAM...

Holy smokes, I never seen that before.
    How is your 'puter running at all if this is true. It has to be bad memory.

14. hiricine Win User
    Whoops repeated post.

Yeah I think I'll go round up some more. It runs really well and has been for years now. I think I found some super ghetto back alley stuff that I put in there.

hiricine, Jul 30, 2015
  15. bobkn Win User
    Well, I guess that partially answers why the installer thinks that you have less than 2GB of RAM.

I can't imagine that the PC would run well in Windows 7 if you could only access 64MB. I've never seen anything like it.

It'd be interesting to run the Windows Memory diagnostic, to see how much RAM it sees and whether the RAM is defective or not.

Diagnosing memory problems on your computer

bobkn, Jul 30, 2015
Thema:

1. Error- You need to install at least 2gb of RAM... - Similar Threads - Error need install

2. RAM=16GB,USED RAM=2GB,RAM USAGE 50%?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    RAM=16GB,USED RAM=2GB,RAM USAGE 50%?: I hope you can understand my problem from the title, but let me explain a bit further.I'm no genius when it comes to computers, but this feels weird.Yes, i've tried to search a solution, but what seems most reasonable is a hardware problem so before i take it to an expert i'd...
  3. RAM=16GB,USED RAM=2GB,RAM USAGE 50%?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    RAM=16GB,USED RAM=2GB,RAM USAGE 50%?: I hope you can understand my problem from the title, but let me explain a bit further.I'm no genius when it comes to computers, but this feels weird.Yes, i've tried to search a solution, but what seems most reasonable is a hardware problem so before i take it to an expert i'd...
  4. GameDVR needs 2GB RAM?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    GameDVR needs 2GB RAM?: I'm overall very satisfied with the gamebar and the ability to record. I really like how less performance impact background recording has when I play games (I lose just 1-2 FPS). However, in task manager I noticed that it needs nearly 2 gigabyte RAM/MEMORY. is this normal or...
  5. Should I install Windows 10 on a computer with 2gb of RAM?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Should I install Windows 10 on a computer with 2gb of RAM?: Here are my computers specs: Windows 7 Ultimate i3-2328M CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2 GB RAM, 64-bit Operating System, Graphics card: “Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000. I have more than enough disk space. This guy was able to do it and his computer’s specs are worse than mine. submitted by...
  6. 8gb ram installed 2gb ram usable

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    8gb ram installed 2gb ram usable: i just used the recovery option in my pc and it seems that windows doesn't use all my ram i tried going to ms config and then boot setting but didn't work any other fix??...
  7. EtwB Utilizing ~2GB of RAM

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    EtwB Utilizing ~2GB of RAM: Hello, I am experiencing an issue on my laptop where the Event Tracking for Windows (EtwB) is utilizing an excessive amount of memory. I have attached screenshots of both task manager's memory usage, task manager's list of running programming sorted by working memory, and a...
  8. RAM - Missing 2GB of active RAM

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    RAM - Missing 2GB of active RAM: So I am running Win10 Home 64-bit. Recently noticed that of the 16gb ram installed (4x4) only 14gb shows up in windows. So I bought 2x8gb sticks to upgrade - now have 24gb (2x4 and 2x8) but again only 22gb is showing up in windows. I have cheeked the BIOS says that I...
  9. 32bit vs 64bit with 2GB of ram

in Windows 10 Support
    32bit vs 64bit with 2GB of ram: So, I know the min-specs (1GB&2GB) for 32bit and 64bit Windows 10. What I'm wondering is: Am I better off installing the 32bit version of windows 10 if I have only 2GB of ram? That way I'm above the min-spec of 1GB, whereas if I install the 64bit version I'm only JUST...
  10. is 2GB RAM enough?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    is 2GB RAM enough?: I was going to install Windows 10 on an old Pentium Dual Core PC with 2GB RAM, currently running Windows 7. Is it best to upgrade the RAM to 4GB first? 6444