Windows 10: Errors setting up gmail account in Mail app

Discus and support Errors setting up gmail account in Mail app in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; New HP laptop, first use. But long time Windows user. Hotmail email account set up no problem. Unable to add gmail account without getting an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Suse White, Mar 16, 2021.

1. Errors setting up gmail account in Mail app

New HP laptop, first use. But long time Windows user.

Hotmail email account set up no problem.

Unable to add gmail account without getting an error code 0x80070490.

Have tried to restart the app and reinstall. Have also tried all the suggestions on this question "Something went wrong" error when I try to add a Google or - Microsoft Community

When I add the email account via 'advanced setup' it adds the account but then says 'attention required' and asks me to update password/username despite being the right details?

Would appreciate any help please! A very frustrated Windows user who thought buying a new laptop might help iron out all the issues I've been having with Windows previously!

Thanks

:)

Suse White, Mar 16, 2021
  2. stevehero Win User

error 0x8007042b when adding a Yahoo Mail account to MS Mail App

I went this route and added passwords for yahoo mail. I might try this method above to get gmail to buck up! *Tongue

@Bastet, this is probably what you were referring to the whole time.

YAHOO MAIL FIX
    2FA needs to be enabled which it already was and just follow these steps below.

1. In yahoo mails account security, click on manage app passwords.

Errors setting up gmail account in Mail app [​IMG]

2. After selecting other app and entering the new app name in the text box

3. Now, in Windows 10 mail app, add this type of account.

4. In Windows 10 mail app, enter your details and the password generated by step 2.

Fully functional mail app again.

GMAIL FIX

Now similar steps to setting up Gmail. Here I'll only go through the Gmail steps as Windows Mail App setup is the exact same.

Follow this jpeg below, all steps are merged as there's a 5 attachment limit.

- - - Updated - - -

I've edited it to show the solution for Gmail also.

stevehero, Mar 16, 2021
  3. Bastet Win User
    error 0x8007042b when adding a Yahoo Mail account to MS Mail App

Yes, once 2-factor authentication is enabled you should then create the app specific password & enter it instead of the account password.

Bastet, Mar 16, 2021
  4. Errors setting up gmail account in Mail app

Unable to add Gmail account in Mail app

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand the concern as you are trying to add Yahoo/Gmail email account in Mail app.
    In order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below:

• What is the Version and Build of Windows 10 currently installed? (Type
      winver in Windows search/Run command)
    • What is the Version of Mail app installed?
    • Do you have any non-Microsoft Antivirus/security program installed?
    • Are you aware of any changes on the PC prior to this issue?

Meanwhile, we would suggest you to perform these steps and check if that helps.

Steps to add Yahoo email in Mail app.

1. In yahoo mails account security, click on manage app passwords.
    2. After selecting other app and entering the new app name in the text box
    3. Now, in Windows 10 mail app, add this type of account.
    4. In Windows 10 mail app, enter your details and the password generated by step 2

Steps to add Gmail email in Mail app

Step 1: Connect your Google account to PC

1. Go to the Security section of your Google account
    2. Under Connected
      apps
      and sites, go to Apps
      connected to your account
    3. Make sure that Windows is on the list

Step 2: Enable IMAP on your Google account

1. Sign in to Gmail
    2. Click the gear in the top right
    3. Select Settings
    4. Click Forwarding
      and POP/IMAP

5. Select Enable IMAP
    6. Click Save Changes

Step 3: Add Gmail account.

1. Open Mail app.
    2. Click on the gear icon to open settings.
    3. Click on Manage account.
    4. Click on Add account.
    5. Now select Google and check if you are able to add the account.

Regards,

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Mar 16, 2021
Thema:

Errors setting up gmail account in Mail app

1. Errors setting up gmail account in Mail app - Similar Threads - Errors setting gmail

2. Gmail Account Issues in Mail App

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Gmail Account Issues in Mail App: Keep getting 'Attention required' for my gmail pop account.James https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/gmail-account-issues-in-mail-app/c6ddf5ea-d0c2-45cd-a8c7-957d19956c24
  3. Gmail Account Issues in Mail App

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Gmail Account Issues in Mail App: Keep getting 'Attention required' for my gmail pop account.James https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/gmail-account-issues-in-mail-app/c6ddf5ea-d0c2-45cd-a8c7-957d19956c24
  4. setting up accounts in Mail App - error code 0x8007139f

in Windows 10 Gaming
    setting up accounts in Mail App - error code 0x8007139f: I am trying to set up Mail on my laptop for a new yahoo account, however I keep getting the error code 0x8007139f like many other people.I have set up ok on outlook but had to use an authenticator password. I have tried usual and authenticator password and still get error...
  5. setting up accounts in Mail App - error code 0x8007139f

setting up accounts in Mail App - error code 0x8007139f: I am trying to set up Mail on my laptop for a new yahoo account, however I keep getting the error code 0x8007139f like many other people.I have set up ok on outlook but had to use an authenticator password. I have tried usual and authenticator password and still get error...
  6. Error code when trying to set up Yahoo and Gmail accounts in Windows Mail App

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Error code when trying to set up Yahoo and Gmail accounts in Windows Mail App: I get error code 0x8019019a for Yahoo and 0x80070490 for Gmail.I would prefer not to reset the app if possible, since I also have a university email account SOGo on the same app that took me hours to set up.Thanks in advance for your help....
  7. Failed to set up Gmail in Mail app windows 10

Failed to set up Gmail in Mail app windows 10: The error pops up telling "something went wrong" with code 0x80070490.The problem is I found the way to fix it, and it worked. But then I had to reset my PC so the problem happens again while I dont remember the solution that I applied.I tried to memorize it but really can...
  8. Mail app not loggin to gmail account.

Mail app not loggin to gmail account.: In mail I am unable to open Gmail account as every time Mail is opened its asking to link account, but in Settings - Email & Accounts - account used by email, calendar and contacts my Gmail account is displayed as linked. Pls suggest how to get Mail app working again....
  9. Mail App and Gmail

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Mail App and Gmail: Hello, when I try to add a Gmail account in Windows 10 Mail App I always get error. [ATTACH] I press "Google" here and then get the following error: [ATTACH] My Internet Connection is not a problem! How can I fix this?...
  10. unable to set up gmail account within Microsoft Mail app

unable to set up gmail account within Microsoft Mail app: Hi, Unable to set up my gmail account within Mail app, keep getting error code 0x8000000b , I am clueless as to what might be the reason for this, Ideas anyone? [ATTACH]...