Windows 10: Errors while attempting to change ownership

Discus and support Errors while attempting to change ownership in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello, I have recently attempted to change the ownership of my C drive from TrustedInstaller to my account. I have followed numerous guides on how to... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by AymanKibria, Apr 5, 2021.

1. Errors while attempting to change ownership

Hello,

I have recently attempted to change the ownership of my C drive from TrustedInstaller to my account. I have followed numerous guides on how to do this. However, every time I try to apply the changes I get an error saying "failed to enumerate objects in the container access is denied" on every single file. Any help on this will be appreciated.

:)

AymanKibria, Apr 5, 2021
  2. Jim_O Win User

Another Failed to enumerate objects in container error attempting to change ownership on a folder.

I've run into the same issue that has been referred to in numerous posts attempting to change permissions on a folder. In my case, attempting to change ownership results in the same error. And I'm stuck.

Here are the steps I've gone thru:

• Right click on folder -> Properties
    • Click on Security tab - info message displays "You must have Read permissions to view the properties of this object. Click Advanced to continue."
    • Click Advanced button
    • the advanced screen "Unable to display current owner" appears as the Owner name. Clicking on the link to change the owner results in a dialog on which all controls are greyed-out except for the Cancel button.
    • There is a message that displays in the body of the Advanced dialog that states: "Click Continue to attempt the operation with administrative permissions."
    • When Continue is clicked, the dialog that displays shows that "Everyone" and Administrators have full access, yet this is apparently not true.

Errors while attempting to change ownership 1bf214f6-098b-432f-8ada-c57925059d0a.jpg

Errors while attempting to change ownership fc991ffd-512c-4522-b599-c809e9c6e8c1.jpg

If I attempt to use the TAKEOWN command line tool, it simply returns with "Access Denied".

All of the above has been done as an administrator user.

Any ideas of how to solve this?

Thanks,

Jim

Jim_O, Apr 5, 2021
  3. sbaker51 Win User
    sfc scannow Error-OverlapErrors while attempting to change ownership :Duplicate ownership for directory

Win 10 Pro (64 bit) on Intel DP-43TF motherboard on an Q9650 core2 quad at 3GHz with 8GB memory.
    sfc /scannow fails at 66% completion with multiple "Error - Overlap: Duplicate ownership for directory" errors with different directories being listed.
    What needs to be done to resolve this issue to fix the issue?

I cannot upload the CBS.log file - the error is "Your file of 9.03 MB bytes exceeds the forum's limit of 2.00 MB for this filetype."

Any suggestions?

sbaker51, Apr 5, 2021
  4. Gino Des Win User

Errors while attempting to change ownership

Changed Ownership of C:\ and Can't Fix

Hi Greg,

Let's get this issue sorted. To better assist you with this concern, we would like to know the following information:

• Which account is the new owner of the C drive?
    • Are you using an account with administrator rights?
    • Have you tried changing the ownership back to yourself?

In the meantime, let's try taking back the ownership by following the steps provided by
    BurrWalnut in the following thread:
    Is there a way to take ownership of my C drive?

You may also perform a repair upgrade using a
    Creators Update ISO
    file. This method can repair broken operating system files while preserving your files, settings and installed applications. For more information and steps on how to perform a repair upgrade, kindly refer to the wiki article created
    by Andre Da Costa on the following link:
    How to perform a repair upgrade using the Windows 10 ISO file

Keep us updated on the status of the issue, and we will be glad to assist you further.

Gino Des, Apr 5, 2021
Thema:

Errors while attempting to change ownership

1. Errors while attempting to change ownership - Similar Threads - Errors while attempting

2. Error while attempting DP 900 exam

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error while attempting DP 900 exam: Hello Team, While trying the exam I am getting this below issue "An unexpected technical problem occurred while launching the OnVUE application. Try clicking the "Check-in to start exam" link on your email again."Candidate:Rudraksha SharmaCandidate...
  3. Error while attempting DP 900 exam

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Error while attempting DP 900 exam: Hello Team, While trying the exam I am getting this below issue "An unexpected technical problem occurred while launching the OnVUE application. Try clicking the "Check-in to start exam" link on your email again."Candidate:Rudraksha SharmaCandidate...
  4. Changing PC ownership

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing PC ownership: I recently acquired this Dell Windows 10 computer from a friend who bought himself a fancy new gaming PC. How do I transfer the Microsoft account from him to me?. I want to be able to use some of the software he purchased or downloaded. I also need to renew the Microsoft...
  5. Changing PC ownership

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changing PC ownership: I recently acquired this Dell Windows 10 computer from a friend who bought himself a fancy new gaming PC. How do I transfer the Microsoft account from him to me?. I want to be able to use some of the software he purchased or downloaded. I also need to renew the Microsoft...
  6. Changing PC ownership

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
  7. The application encountered an error while attempting to change the state – Hyper-V error

in Windows 10 News
    The application encountered an error while attempting to change the state – Hyper-V error: [ATTACH]While turning off a virtual machine in Hyper-V, if you are getting The application encountered an error while attempting to change the state error, here is how you can fix it. It appears when an action is running in the background, and you are clicking the Turn Off...
  8. change ownership

in Windows 10 Customization
    change ownership: I am giving a friend my old laptop how do I change the name of the computer and change the lock screen and create a new admin acct? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-ownership/3b3af5b9-868f-473e-8705-9126a83dc9d6
  9. Changing ownership

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Changing ownership: Does changing ownership creates problems? I'm still not able to remove grayscale of encryption in advanced security menu. Help me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-ownership/e4bf2f9e-2046-43cd-b02c-0a888279b521
  10. changing the ownership of a laptop

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    changing the ownership of a laptop: I got a laptop from my dad with his passwords and his Microsoft account, I want to change it to mine. how can I do that? and here,re the device info: Edition Windows 10 CoreSingleLanguage Version 1803 OS Build 10.0.17134.285 Serial No. CND4256F40 Processor Intel(R)...