Windows 10: Errors with screen time when child account is administrator

Discus and support Errors with screen time when child account is administrator in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; This seems to be a problem, and has been for years. My children, between growing up and our mentoring, learned what they can and can't install. So we... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by burn0050, May 13, 2020.

1. burn0050 Win User

Errors with screen time when child account is administrator

This seems to be a problem, and has been for years.

My children, between growing up and our mentoring, learned what they can and can't install. So we have granted them administrator rights so we don't have to put in a password every time they want to install something. However, they are not old enough to self limit, so we still control screen time limits.

This combination, however, confuses Windows 10.

When my kids either request screen time, or even with the "my parent is here" option, the attempt errors out. If they try to send a request, it says they are not connected to the internet they are. If they use the "my parent is here" option, it then brings up the "allow program to make changes to this pc" dialog box. I click ok, then it just says an error has occurred. I have tried the suggestions I have seen, increasing the UAC notifications, making sure the OS is up to date, etc. The only solution I have found is to remove administrator from the child account, then it works.

This seems like a big old bug. This is reproducable I have done it on 3 different computers. Can someone tell me there is a fix, or is this just what we have to deal with? We either trust our kids all the way, or not at all.

Thanks,

Bill

:)

burn0050, May 13, 2020

2. Screen time of a child account switches off

Hi,

I realize that the screen time of a child account switches off in Windows. We will help you.

• Are you facing this issue after any recent update installed?

I suggest you to remove all the child accounts first and
    re-add them and check
    if it helps resolving the issue.

Refer: Set up family features

I also suggest you to delete the Child account and create a new and re-add the account in Family.

Refer: Add a child account to your family

If you're having problems with your Microsoft account, you can try running the
    Microsoft Accounts troubleshooter

It's an automated tool that can find and automatically fix some problems. It's only available in English, but will work in all languages.

Please post to us if the issue is resolved. We are glad to help you further.

Sachin Venkatesh, May 13, 2020
  3. Anonimiss Win User
    Windows 10 Screen Time setting not working for my child

I had this exact problem and these are the steps I took to get the issue resolved:

• Navigate to family safety settings and remove the child from the family having issues.
    • Login to the childs account and launch Settings (windows key + i)
    • Click the Accounts icon and select Sign in with local account instead
    • Follow the steps to change to a local account. When completed, Login back to your account (admin account)
    • Go back to the family safety settings and add your child back to the family group.
    • Access your childs email address to accept the family invitation
    • Verify the child now shows properly in the family settings and that the screen times are still correct.
    • Login to the childs account and launch Settings (windows key + i)
    • Click the Accounts icon and select Sign in with microsoft account instead
    • Your family settings should now take affect.

I know this is pretty tedious, but like I said, it worked for me. If you are still having trouble, I suggest contacting support and they can help walk you through the steps to get it resolved.

Anonimiss, May 13, 2020
  4. Errors with screen time when child account is administrator

Child needs to see remaining screen time

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are unable to extend screen time limit for your child account. I suggest you to refer the following article for more information on

time limits for child account

Also refer the following article for troubleshooting steps to fix issues with

screen time limit

Hope it helps.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Sandeep_KM, May 13, 2020
Thema:

Errors with screen time when child account is administrator

1. Errors with screen time when child account is administrator - Similar Threads - Errors screen child

2. Administrator for Child Accounts?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Administrator for Child Accounts?: What I am trying to do is make a child account have administrator permissions, with full control of windows, but still lets the parent account monitor its activity and get notifications of logins. Is there any way I can do this within Microsoft Family Safety or is there a...
  3. Administrator for Child Accounts?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Administrator for Child Accounts?: What I am trying to do is make a child account have administrator permissions, with full control of windows, but still lets the parent account monitor its activity and get notifications of logins. Is there any way I can do this within Microsoft Family Safety or is there a...
  4. Administrator for Child Accounts?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Child account has screen time but the child can't login

Child account has screen time but the child can't login: I've had this problem for about a year now. I go into device limits and give him 4 hours to use. He tries repeatedly to log in and when he can't he starts sending me requests. If I give him time through the requests it doesn't give me an option to add 4 hours. His brother...
  6. Child Account, but they are the administrator

in Windows 10 Customization
    Child Account, but they are the administrator: Hello, Our two children just received their own laptop computers. We have set up the Microsoft family accounts, however when the laptops are set-up, they are automatically set as the administrators. How do we go about setting up their account but as a "User" on their...
  7. Screen time on child user account

Screen time on child user account: I just purchased a laptop with Windows 10 for the kids to do homework on and set up user and email accounts for each of them. I noticed however that whenever they try to open google chrome or start a zoom meeting with their teacher, they have a screen time request pop up...
  8. Accidentally logged in with an child account on my administrator user, can't bypass screen time

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Accidentally logged in with an child account on my administrator user, can't bypass screen time: I was trying to install an app from the microsoft store, but i had to log in, so i logged in with an account that i had in mind, after loggng in, my computer got blocked, and i only have this user, now i cant access other users and the parental account on microsoft.com...
  9. Issues with screen time limit on child account.

Issues with screen time limit on child account.: Hi, We urgently need help to solve the following problem. We as a parent cannot unblock the screen time limit on our sons laptop. As soon as we unlock the laptop with our MS password the following message appears: Time is up! This device is blocked because of your...
  10. ERROR 80720251 CHILD SCREEN TIME

ERROR 80720251 CHILD SCREEN TIME: Hello, so yesterday I tried to log in into my computer and screen locked because of the screen time. So the thing is that I haven't set any Parent Control and I don't know what the hell is going on. If I send request it's not helping at all because I don't even know who am I...