Windows 10: eSATA Data Disk Locks System After Updating Win10

Discus and support eSATA Data Disk Locks System After Updating Win10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I installed Win10 in July 2016 and left it 'dormant' until yesterday, 1/25/19. I was concerned I might lose the ability to update it. It needed many... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by baumgrenze, Jan 26, 2019.

1. eSATA Data Disk Locks System After Updating Win10

I installed Win10 in July 2016 and left it 'dormant' until yesterday, 1/25/19. I was concerned I might lose the ability to update it. It needed many updates.

I forgot to turn off my eSATA data drive before I ran the updates.

The update process created a new folder called "Windows10Upgrade" on the eSATA drive. It contains a 1.239 GB ESD file and a small XML Document. If I was asked permission, I certainly missed seeing it.

When I shut down Win10 and disconnected that System Disk and then rebooted from another System Disk into Win7Pro/x64 with the eSATA drive running my system locks up. If I start the drive after booting to Win7 I can see the file structure on the drive in Windows Explorer, but any attempt to use it locks up the system.

I returned on 1/26/19 and successfully ran the updates again with the eSATA drive turned off. I now have Ver. 1803 installed, so it appears that the update was successful. I never installed any program files on the system disk with Win10. I can see the folder in file explorer in Win10.

Win10 appears to recognize a problem with the eSATA disk an runs some kind of checking process on it, but I can't get my digital camera up to document it before the two windows that describe it have vanished.

What might the process have done to my eSATA drive?

Would it help to delete the new folder and its contents? Perhaps do that and also run the Win10 version of CHKDSK afterwards?

I don't want to dig a deeper hole for myself.

:)

baumgrenze, Jan 26, 2019
  2. user33331 Win User

Win10: windows update stuck at never ending loop ?

When in win10:
    • Update&security -> Windows update -> Finding update... .... .... ....
    Planning to download the latest Win10.ISO (vers.1803) and manually update:
    - Then wait that my ordered new SSD arrives and clone the old HDD to it.

user33331, Jan 26, 2019
  3. Joel N. Win User
    eSATA device not recognized

I have a 2TB Samsung EcoGreen F4 Hard Drive ( SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 ST2000DL004 2TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - Newegg.com ) in an Antec MX-1 eSATA enclosure ( Antec MX-1 SATA USB2.0 & eSATA External Enclosure - Newegg.com ). This worked fine on this same system
    running Windows 7 Home Premium, but Windows 10 Home does not see the device either in Device Manager or Disk Manger or File Explorer. All of my movies, music, documents, etc. are on this drive. It works fine on any Windows 7 system I have access to, but
    not my current Windows 10 desktop. Also, the JMicron JMB363 eSATA controller on my MSI P55-GD80 motherboard ( MSI P55-GD80 LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com ) does not show in the list of Storage Controllers in Device Manager. There does
    not appear to be a Win10 driver available from JMicron as of yet, but this device has been around since 2009 and was recognized and installed automatically under Windows 7. Is there anyway to force this hardware to be recognized?

Joel N., Jan 26, 2019
  4. eSATA Data Disk Locks System After Updating Win10

Lost data from hard drive, what to do now?

Well, I'm sorry to hear that it's a WD My Passport that failed on you, @tomhenry ! *Frown eSATA Data Disk Locks System After Updating Win10 :(
    I'd recommend you to try using a different USB cable with it and see if that will help your system to detect it without it disconnecting.
    I'd also suggest you to go to Disk Management and see how the drive is listed there. It won't hurt to check up on the health and SMART status of the HDD by running the QUICK and EXTENDED tests from the WD's Data LifeGuard Diagnostics. Here's a link to the available software: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=11ZOpD

Give these troubleshooting steps a try and keep us posted with the results!
    SuperSoph_WD

SuperSoph_WD, Jan 26, 2019
Thema:

eSATA Data Disk Locks System After Updating Win10

1. eSATA Data Disk Locks System After Updating Win10 - Similar Threads - eSATA Data Disk

2. BitLocker Key works with System Disk but not Data Disk

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    BitLocker Key works with System Disk but not Data Disk: Hello, I have a similar question as others concerning the Bitlocker encryption but my problem seems a little different than any I have read about. My computer is running Win 10 and has an SSD System disk and a second SATA Data disk. I wanted to make an Image of the SSD System...
  3. BitLocker Key works with System Disk but not Data Disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BitLocker Key works with System Disk but not Data Disk: Hello, I have a similar question as others concerning the Bitlocker encryption but my problem seems a little different than any I have read about. My computer is running Win 10 and has an SSD System disk and a second SATA Data disk. I wanted to make an Image of the SSD System...
  4. BitLocker Key works with System Disk but not Data Disk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. data lost after win10 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    data lost after win10 update: Hello. I have just recognised that lots ot my folders and files disappeared documents, pictures, ect about 2-3 Gb after a windows 10 update. I tried everything what the communities adviced, hidden files, phantom user, restart indexing, ect., but only a few broken doc and...
  6. Win10 EFS encyption lock after system restore

Win10 EFS encyption lock after system restore: Have a Windows 10 Pro 1903 install, we ran into some issues with some software not working correctly so we did a system restore to reset the machine to about 2 weeks prior. Upon completion of the system restore process, we had several folders on a secondary drive that are now...
  7. BSOD: INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR related to eSATA enclosure/disks

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD: INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR related to eSATA enclosure/disks: I have a Mediasonic four-port disk enclosure that only allows hot-swapping disks in eSATA mode (it also supports USB 3, but without the swapping feature). BTW, the USB 3 mode works fine with all my disks. So I bought this eSATA card, which seems to work fine, by which I mean...
  8. Broken system disk after data copy on another pc.

in Windows 10 Support
    Broken system disk after data copy on another pc.: Hi there. Classic routine: 1. Installed fresh win 10 on laptop 2. Took out a disk from laptop and connected (mb SATA) to desktop pc. 3. Copied needed personal data to laptop`s disk, everything seems to be fine as it should so far. Now the problem: 1. Put the disk back in...
  9. eSATA Data Disk Locks System After Updating Win10

in Windows 10 Support
    eSATA Data Disk Locks System After Updating Win10: I installed Win10 in July 2016 and left it 'dormant' until yesterday, 1/25/19. I was concerned I might lose the ability to update it. It needed many updates. I forgot to turn off my eSATA data drive before I ran the updates. The update process created a new folder called...
  10. WIN10 is locked after an update

WIN10 is locked after an update: After an update of windows10, the PC is left in a dos configuration image asking for speech recognition. I have tried to press Ctrl + Alt + Share it gives the correct picture, but the Job List does not appear. When I press Alt + Tab, I can see the job list behind the white...