Windows 10: ESD to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 ESD File

Discus and support ESD to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 ESD File in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; I updated my previous post. I am using a local account. Oops. It won't activate with the Network disconnected. *Redface Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by lehnerus2000, Oct 22, 2014.

1. ESD to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 ESD File

I updated my previous post.
    I am using a local account.

Oops.
    It won't activate with the Network disconnected. *Redface

lehnerus2000, Oct 22, 2014
  2. Kari Win User

Yeah, you must have network connection in order to to be able to activate.

3. OK.
    It activated successfully.

If you have a junk account, I would prefer to use that rather than my Insider account.

4. Kari Win User

ESD to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 ESD File

Give me three minutes, I'll PM credentials.

5. badrobot Win User
    Just a thought. When I downloaded the new build I am logged on to my local account. And I have the esd file. Does it make any difference if you upgraded while you are logged on to Microsoft account? (like having wim instead of esd).

badrobot, Oct 22, 2014
  6. Kari Win User
    No, I have tested both MS account and local account, there's no difference.

There has to be a reason why some users get the WIM file instead of ESD... Intriguing!

7. badrobot Win User
    I see. But there's got to be a way to convert wim to esd.

badrobot, Oct 22, 2014
  8. Kari Win User

That's not an issue. WIM is good, it's the ESD that creates a small issue because it cannot be used as such. Creating a bootable install media from a WIM file is not a big deal, doing the same from an ESD file is a bit more complicated and the reason this tutorial exists.

ESD file is nothing else than a highly compressed WIM, to put it simple. The issue is decompressing the ESD to get the WIM and further an ISO.

If all users would get the WIM file there would be no need for this tutorial.

9. I just noticed that this test install does not have a RecoveryImage folder (C:\RecoveryImage).

10. adamf Win User
    Upgrade rather than clean install? I upgraded from 8.1 and got a wim.

adamf, Oct 22, 2014
  11. Kari Win User
    Upgrade rather than clean install? I upgraded from 8.1 and got a wim. That's a theory worth checking.

Lehnerus, it shouldn't have: it was a clean install from ISO, not an upgrade from PC Settings > Update and Recovery.

12. Lehnerus, it shouldn't have: it was a clean install from ISO, not an upgrade from PC Settings > Update and Recovery. I suspected that it might only exist due to the upgrade process, but I wasn't sure if that was the case.

13. strollin Win User

Worked great for me. I have a VMWare Player VM that was originally clean installed with TP 9841 then upgraded to 9860. It had the esd file. I ran the script and it successfully created an ISO which I used to setup a VirtualBox VM running 9860.

I couldn't be certain since I didn't time it, but I believe the process of creating the ISO and then doing a clean install to a VM took less time than it took to download and install the upgrade. That makes sense since I don't have the fastest internet connection (4Mbs max). Doing a clean install vs upgrading via Windows Update is definitely faster.

Hats off to everyone involved in making this available.

strollin, Oct 22, 2014
  14. Kari Win User
    Just for the records, this is how tutorials are often made *Wink.

As is quite common with tutorials, the method told in this one is absolutely not invented nor found out by me. I got the original script from a friend in May when trying to find a way to create 8.1 install ISO from the ESD file and was getting frustrated when I did not find the right arguments and parameters to use with DISM to do it. Got the script as email attachment, the original script has none whatsoever information about the author. I only found out the original author after reading this post today. Thanks for that info!

I forgot the whole script until I stumbled upon this thread of fellow geek topgundcp ​yesterday. I thought that I have that script, edited and shortened for just creating the ISO, tested it with Build 9860 and it worked. Made the tutorial crediting topgundcp, not crediting the author of the original script because I did not know who had made it but making it clear that the tool is based on another script from another author. This from the beginning of the tutorial:

ESD to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 ESD File [​IMG]
    Information Thanks to our member topgundcp for the idea. This tutorial will use the decrypt script mentioned in his post, I have just edited the script to remove unnecessary code and corrected some errors and finally made these step by step instructions.
    Somehow I feel now I need to make this absolutely clear: I did not try to take credits for the idea nor the original esd-decrypter-v3 script. Credits where they belong.

15. Ztruker Win User
    Just realized the install.wim is dated 10/3 which is when I upgraded 8.1.1 to 10 TP. Has nothing to do with build 9860.

I think the only way to make this work so a build 9860 ISO can be created is to remove the C:\RecoveryImage directory before doing the upgrade to 9860.

The RecoveryImage direcotry appears to be there so you can go back to whatever was installed before upgrading to Windows 10 TP or if 10 TP was a clean install then to be able to get back to it when build 9860 is installed. I'm guessing it will stay there no matter how many updates are applied on top of 10 TP.

If you have the drive space you could probably have one for each version you update. For instance:

ren C:\RecoveryImage RecoveryImage-10TP
    Install 9860 and it should create a new C:\RecoveryImage
    ren C:\RecoveryImage RecoveryImage-9860

Not sure what to do next but just an idea.

Ztruker, Oct 22, 2014
Thema:

1. ESD to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 ESD File - Similar Threads - ESD ISO Create

2. Creating a bootable usb from ISO

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Creating a bootable usb from ISO: If I create a bootable usb from the ISO file, does that ISO file remain the same in the sense that I can use it to to an In-Place Repair or reinstall Windows?...
  3. ESD or ISO

ESD or ISO: Hey there! What is difference between esd and iso file? Should I update my windows 10 through esd file or iso file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/esd-or-iso/5068853b-102f-40f2-aa2e-48fd3cd633be
  4. Official Windows 10 x64 bootable esd/ iso with DaRT

Official Windows 10 x64 bootable esd/ iso with DaRT: hello friends, i have downloaded the latest esd file and converted to iso, but my iso file missing DaRT menu under windows repair option.i am looking for official download link for Windows 10 x64 bootable esd/ iso with DaRT , or Official Windows 10 DaRT download link,please...
  5. Iso, esd or wim?

in Windows 10 Support
    Iso, esd or wim?: Wish to correct a Source files missing problem, so need to download an ISO. Installed is W10 1511 version 10586.164 Pro.....how can I tell whether it is ESD or WIM? I know that downloads are as following.....M$ Media is ESD and TechNet is WIM. 44127
  6. Sanity check on ESD to ISO - 10041

in Windows 10 Support
    Sanity check on ESD to ISO - 10041: Looking for another set of eyes to verify/sanity check the data on the ISO I created from the 10041 ESD. I may do clean install this weekend. How does this compare with what you may have? Many thanks. Dick... *Cool [img] [img] 4808
  7. Which ESD to ISO method should I use?

Which ESD to ISO method should I use?: On home stretch. Got the 14257 ESD from my laptop so I can try to fix my desktop installation of 14257 (to get DISM to work again) Which method on the ESD to ISO tool should I use? 39941
  8. ESD folder created when using MCT but not with ISO

ESD folder created when using MCT but not with ISO: I'm confused about the ESD folder. If I install Windows 10 with the Media Creation Tool, an ESD folder is created. I understand that this folder should not be deleted if you plan to use the Recovery feature as it includes the files need to reinstall Windows. If I reinstall...
  9. Build 10159 X86 ISO or ESD Available?

Build 10159 X86 ISO or ESD Available?: Anyone know if an ISO or ESD for 10159 x86 has been created or made available. Have been attempting an upgrade through Windows Update on v. 10158 for 2 days and it will not download properly. Want to download and upgrade via USB on a Dell Venue 8 Pro. Thanks. 7667
  10. UUP to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 Build Upgrade Files

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    UUP to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 Build Upgrade Files: How to: UUP to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 Build Upgrade Files [img] Note Microsoft has made some changes in the delivery system. UUP Dump working perfectly, allowing users to create Insider ISO images even when not opted in for Insider program, I see it...