Windows 10: ESD to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 ESD File

Discus and support ESD to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 ESD File in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: ESD to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 ESD File [img] Warning As Microsoft has changed the upgrade method from ESD based upgrade... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by lehnerus2000, Oct 22, 2014.

1. ESD to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 ESD File

How to: ESD to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 ESD File

ESD to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 ESD File [​IMG]
    Warning As Microsoft has changed the upgrade method from ESD based upgrade to a UUP based, the method told in this tutorial does not work anymore with 15xxx and later builds.

Please see UUP to ISO tutorial for a working method: UUP to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 Build Upgrade Files Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Kari

How to Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 install.esd File

Information Thanks to our member topgundcp for the idea. This tutorial will use the decrypt script mentioned in his post, according to new information I have found the original authors are users abbodi1406, qad and synchronicityI from the MDL site, complete credits in the Read Me file included in the tool downloadable packet. I have simply edited the script a bit and finally made these step by step instructions.

The command script file tool used to create the ISO from the ESD file is a native Windows tool DISM, no third party tools or programs are involved. If you are concerned you can open the ESDtoISO.cmd file with Notepad and check it, it is totally safe only using native Windows commands.

Note When Windows 10 is upgraded to a new build using the Windows Update, Microsoft uses the ESD file format to deliver install files needed. ESD stands for Electronic Software Delivery.

The Windows install.esd file contains the usual Windows install.wim file (WIM = Windows Imaging), encrypted and compressed. Install.wim file in its turn contains everything needed for a complete Windows installation.

This tutorial will show you how to create a bootable ISO file from the install.esd file you have downloaded which can then be burned to a DVD disk or USB to be used for clean install instead of upgrade.

If you have upgraded from Windows 8.1 or if you have performed a repair install on your Windows 10 see this post before starting.

Information EDIT:

Starting from Windows Insider Build 14986 upgrades no longer contain install.esd file, the file which makes process in this tutorial possible. The new differential UUP upgrade method (Universal Upgrade Platform) needs another tool, another method to create the ISO image. See tutorial here: UUP to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 Build Upgrade Files

However, users can still choose which method to use. Please read this post about difference in ESD and UUP methods and how to switch back to ESD upgrade

Step One [/i] Download and set up ESDtoISO tool
    1.) Check Windows Update for possible new build. Tutorial: Windows Update - Check for and Install in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

2.) When a new build is available, let Windows Update download it. When Windows Update has prepared the upgrade, you will be told a restart has been scheduled. At this point you can find the install.esd file which contains everything needed to make an ISO image in a hidden folder C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources.

3.) The ESDtoISO tool is based on ESD Decrypter v.6.7, I have edited the original script to remove everything not necessarily needed. Download the tool (ESDtoISO.zip) from OneDrive: bit.ly/TenForums

4.) Open the downloaded ZIP archive with File Explorer, click Extract all, select where you want the files to be extracted, click Extract. Here I selected to extract the files on drive E:, folder ESD:

Step Two [/i] Run ESDtoISO tool
    1.) Copy the ESD file to same folder where you extracted the ESDtoISO tool files. Right click the ESDtoISO.CMD file and select Run as administrator. This runs the tool, automatically finding your ESD file.

2.) Select the ISO you want to create, a traditional ISO which contains the install.wim file to install Windows, or an ESD based ISO which instead of install.wim file contains the compressed install.esd to install Windows. Both types can be used the same way to install Windows, both can be used as such, mounted to a virtual drive or burned to Flash or DVD drive.

Note This tip from a fellow Ten Forums member @f14tomcat:
    Some facts to help you to decide, the numbers about Build 10041 ISO image created with this tool:

1. WIM based ISO, Windows 10 Build 10041 32 bit, size 2.45 GB, ISO created from the ESD in 6:57 (Min:Sec)
    2. ESD based ISO Windows 10 Build 10041 32 bit, size 2.09 GB, ISO created from the ESD in 3:32
    3. WIM based ISO, Windows 10 Build 10041 64 bit, size 3.30 GB, ISO created from the ESD in 9:40
    4. ESD based ISO, Windows 10 Build 10041 64 bit, size 2.68 GB, ISO created from the ESD in 4:35
    Above times to create the ISO using this tool using an HP ProBook 4530S i5 laptop.

Because the ISO based on ESD intead of WIM is more compressed and encrypted to save space, Windows needs to do more decompressing and decrypting when using it. The difference is not significant but to give you an example, installing Windows 10 to a Hyper-V virtual machine took using the 32 bit Build 10041 ESD based ISO (#2 in above list) 15 minutes (from boot to first Settings dialog after the installation), and using the same Windows version but a WIM based ISO file (#1 in above list) 12:35. Both virtual machines had exactly the same settings, the virtual hard disks were created on the same drive on host, and the host was not used for anything else during the installation.

3.) The tool starts working, showing an error for missing key. This error can be ignored:

4.) The process can take some time, up to half an hour depending on your hardware. When finished you have an ISO image to be used as such in installing the new build on a virtual machine or to be burned to DVD or USB to be used on a clean install on a physical computer.

That's it, now you can perform a clean install with your new Windows build.

Kari

Related Tutorials

:)

lehnerus2000, Oct 22, 2014
  2. x osn Win User

Windows 10 create your own installation media

You will need to decrypt the Windows 10 ESD file which is located w/in the following folder

C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\Install.esd

upon your hard disk & convert it from an esd file back in to an ISO file using an ESD to ISO decrypter for your Windows 10 installation which can be saved to a safe place upon your PC!

Windows 10 Forums> "ESD to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 ESD File">

https://www.windowsphoneinfo.com/threads/esd-to-iso-create-bootable-iso-from-windows-10-esd-file.7462/

Regards,

Xen.

x osn, Oct 22, 2014
  3. Sumit Dhiman2, Oct 22, 2014
  4. ESD to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 ESD File

Well said lehnerus2000 this is a good example of the co-operation that exists on these forums to produce something new and unique.

IownAmoneyPit, Oct 22, 2014
  5. Ztruker Win User
    There is no install.esd file in C:\RecoveryImage. All I see is the following:

C:\Users\rrkurtz\Desktop\ESDtoISO>dir c:\RecoveryImage
    Volume in drive C has no label.
    Volume Serial Number is 74BE-73AC

Directory of c:\RecoveryImage

10/21/2014 07:40 PM <DIR> .
    10/21/2014 07:40 PM <DIR> ..
    10/21/2014 07:40 PM 328 DONOTREPLACE.txt
    10/04/2014 02:22 AM <DIR> Drivers
    10/03/2014 10:08 PM 3,618,526,248 Install.wim
    10/03/2014 11:01 PM <DIR> OEMInformation
    2 File(s) 3,618,526,576 bytes
    4 Dir(s) 188,399,144,960 bytes free

Is Install.wim the same thing? Can I rename it to .esd?

Ztruker, Oct 22, 2014
  6. Ztruker Win User
    Ran it anyway and it likes install.wim.

Is the tutorial wrong? Should it state install.wim instead of install.esd?

Edit: install.esd was for initial Win 10 TP. install.wim is in the new build 9860.

Ztruker, Oct 22, 2014
  7. Ztruker Win User
    Ran it anyway and it likes install.wim.

Is the tutorial wrong? Should it state install.wim instead of install.esd?

After I enter I the first message I get is:

Backing up original esd file...

Running Decryption program...

ERROR: The ESD file is not a valid encrypted image.

===============================================================================
    Creating ISO Structure Layout...
    ===============================================================================

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 6.3.9600.17029

Ztruker, Oct 22, 2014
  8. ESD to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 ESD File

I had an install.esd file (i.e. C:\RecoveryImage\install.esd).

After I ran the tutorial tool, it had changed to install.esd.bak

9. Superfly Win User
    Thanx Kari, togundcp... just wanna mention credit also goes to the original scripter abbodi1406 at MDL.

BTW, Has someone tried the install.esd swap with install.wim of the 9841 iso to produce similar results?

Superfly, Oct 22, 2014
  10. Ztruker Win User
    Apparently I'm in the process of doing that. See my previous posts.

Currently running ESDtoISO, install.wim is still there but install.wim.bak is also there.

At 4% after 10 minutes. I'm going to have to kill this and try again tomorrow as I need to go to bed.

Ztruker, Oct 22, 2014
  11. Superfly Win User
    I see you have an install.wim in recovery folder (?), but I was referring to using something like UltraISO to replace the install.wim in the 9841 iso with this install.esd and saving the new iso as 9860.

Superfly, Oct 22, 2014
  12. badrobot Win User
    I saw this thread right after creating the ISO by following this article for Win 8.1
    How to convert Windows 8.1 install.esd in to DVD ISO | WindoBlog

Kari's tut is a simplified version and should be easier to follow.

I was able to successfully create the ISO but I just have one question. Is the resulting ISO a generic installer or is it like a customized image with all the manually installed programs?

badrobot, Oct 22, 2014
  13. Kari Win User

ESD to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 ESD File

First, I have now heard from a few users that they do not have the ESD file at C:\RecoveryImage. For those users I have three questions:

• Is the install on a physical computer or on a virtual machine?
    • How big is the drive C:?
    • Did you check the C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources folder, does it have the install.esd file ($Windows.~BT is a hidden folder)?

Then the Badrobot's question:
    No. The ISO will be like any other valid install media, you can compare it to any Windows install DVD or ISO. It is for a clean install only including the OS components with native built-in apps, resulting a fresh Windows 10 TP. Exactly as if you had used an ISO downloaded from Microsoft.

Here's one scenario to create a custom system image to include all your third party software but no user accounts:
    • Create the ISO as told in this tutorial, burn it to DVD / USB
    • Install Windows 10 TP Build 9860 using your DVD / USB
    • Interrupt the Windows installation and follow instructions in this tutorial to create your custom image: System Image - Create Hardware Independent System Image (Part One Step 1.2 shows when and how to interrupt Windows installation)

14. z3r010 Win User
    I don't have the ESD, the drive is 1TB with most free and I don't have the $windows. folder either.

z3r010, Oct 22, 2014
  15. It seems to have worked as per the tutorial for me (my Command Prompt had some extra messages though).

I'm running a W10TP VM (VMware Player on a Linux Mint 17 Host).
    My virtual HDD is 40GB.
    I had install.esd in the location mentioned in the tutorial.
    I also have the other folder.

Thema:

ESD to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 ESD File

1. ESD to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 ESD File - Similar Threads - ESD ISO Create

2. Creating a bootable usb from ISO

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Creating a bootable usb from ISO: If I create a bootable usb from the ISO file, does that ISO file remain the same in the sense that I can use it to to an In-Place Repair or reinstall Windows?...
  3. ESD or ISO

ESD or ISO: Hey there! What is difference between esd and iso file? Should I update my windows 10 through esd file or iso file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/esd-or-iso/5068853b-102f-40f2-aa2e-48fd3cd633be
  4. Official Windows 10 x64 bootable esd/ iso with DaRT

Official Windows 10 x64 bootable esd/ iso with DaRT: hello friends, i have downloaded the latest esd file and converted to iso, but my iso file missing DaRT menu under windows repair option.i am looking for official download link for Windows 10 x64 bootable esd/ iso with DaRT , or Official Windows 10 DaRT download link,please...
  5. Iso, esd or wim?

in Windows 10 Support
    Iso, esd or wim?: Wish to correct a Source files missing problem, so need to download an ISO. Installed is W10 1511 version 10586.164 Pro.....how can I tell whether it is ESD or WIM? I know that downloads are as following.....M$ Media is ESD and TechNet is WIM. 44127
  6. Sanity check on ESD to ISO - 10041

in Windows 10 Support
    Sanity check on ESD to ISO - 10041: Looking for another set of eyes to verify/sanity check the data on the ISO I created from the 10041 ESD. I may do clean install this weekend. How does this compare with what you may have? Many thanks. Dick... *Cool [img] [img] 4808
  7. Which ESD to ISO method should I use?

Which ESD to ISO method should I use?: On home stretch. Got the 14257 ESD from my laptop so I can try to fix my desktop installation of 14257 (to get DISM to work again) Which method on the ESD to ISO tool should I use? 39941
  8. ESD folder created when using MCT but not with ISO

ESD folder created when using MCT but not with ISO: I'm confused about the ESD folder. If I install Windows 10 with the Media Creation Tool, an ESD folder is created. I understand that this folder should not be deleted if you plan to use the Recovery feature as it includes the files need to reinstall Windows. If I reinstall...
  9. Build 10159 X86 ISO or ESD Available?

Build 10159 X86 ISO or ESD Available?: Anyone know if an ISO or ESD for 10159 x86 has been created or made available. Have been attempting an upgrade through Windows Update on v. 10158 for 2 days and it will not download properly. Want to download and upgrade via USB on a Dell Venue 8 Pro. Thanks. 7667
  10. UUP to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 Build Upgrade Files

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    UUP to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 Build Upgrade Files: How to: UUP to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 Build Upgrade Files [img] Note Microsoft has made some changes in the delivery system. UUP Dump working perfectly, allowing users to create Insider ISO images even when not opted in for Insider program, I see it...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. esd to iso

2. rufus download esd to iso